• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,845 posts in this topic

A few random thoughts...

--Looking at early issues of Flash (say .10-centers), #109 seems to be among the weakest. 

--Also, I keep seeing a lot of #106 (albeit below 6.0) - is it really not scarce, or are too high prices hurting sales?

--Finally, what do you all think about Flash #110... a desirable minor key or an overrated issue?

On 7/17/2017 at 8:22 PM, sacentaur said:

A few random thoughts...

--Looking at early issues of Flash (say .10-centers), #109 seems to be among the weakest. 

--Also, I keep seeing a lot of #106 (albeit below 6.0) - is it really not scarce, or are too high prices hurting sales?

--Finally, what do you all think about Flash #110... a desirable minor key or an overrated issue?

I like 110, first appeanrnce of kid flash!! Def a key 

On 7/17/2017 at 8:22 PM, sacentaur said:

A few random thoughts...

Weakest, as in price?  My interest is in raw mid-grade, but anecdotally, I see more mid-grade copies of 106, 109, 117 than any other issue in the 105-124 range.  From 125 up, mid-grade issues are readily available, except for 127 (Grodd) which doesn't turn up at all.  Low grade copies of everything from 114 on should be easy enough to find.

I didn't grow up with Wally, so I have no attachment to him.  Barry is the Flash, always will be.  Dollar for dollar, I'd rather buy villain keys than the first Wally, except for 139 (Reverse Flash), which has peaked.

41 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

I see more mid-grade copies of 106, 109, 117 than any other issue in the 105-124 range

I'm still amazed that Overstreet still lists Flash 106 as "Scarce" in the guide after all these years.

Don't get me wrong, all early 10 cent Silver Age Flashes are hard to find in grade, but the surrounding Flash issues are just as difficult as 106 to find in grade.

Also, the Overstreet guide states the meaning of Scarce as "20 -100 copies estimated to exist"

The current CGC census alone has 246 total graded copies for Flash 106.

14 hours ago, FineCollector said:

Weakest, as in price?  My interest is in raw mid-grade, but anecdotally, I see more mid-grade copies of 106, 109, 117 than any other issue in the 105-124 range.  From 125 up, mid-grade issues are readily available, except for 127 (Grodd) which doesn't turn up at all.  Low grade copies of everything from 114 on should be easy enough to find.

I didn't grow up with Wally, so I have no attachment to him.  Barry is the Flash, always will be.  Dollar for dollar, I'd rather buy villain keys than the first Wally, except for 139 (Reverse Flash), which has peaked.

I love the cover of Flash 127.

My son and I started watching the Flash series recently and we instantly wanted to get an early Flash book to add to our collection of mostly all Marvel books.

Long story short we pulled the trigger on a raw copy of Flash #105 yesterday at Wizard World Chicago and took it to the CGC booth to be graded.  

Definitely an entry level copy (2.0?) but a copy non the less and can't wait to get it back.

Flash (Silver Age) #105 G+ Front Cover

On 8/28/2017 at 12:13 PM, Beardown said:

My son and I started watching the Flash series recently and we instantly wanted to get an early Flash book to add to our collection of mostly all Marvel books.

Long story short we pulled the trigger on a raw copy of Flash #105 yesterday at Wizard World Chicago and took it to the CGC booth to be graded.  

Definitely an entry level copy (2.0?) but a copy non the less and can't wait to get it back.

Flash (Silver Age) #105 G+ Front Cover

Update.  It came back and we got the grade we were hoping for!

59cc347811794_4zouAu9-Imgur.thumb.jpg.38bd9d633f0ae15ebad3769951211fdf.jpg

Edited by Beardown

On 9/27/2017 at 6:25 PM, Beardown said:

Update.  It came back and we got the grade we were hoping for!

59cc347811794_4zouAu9-Imgur.thumb.jpg.38bd9d633f0ae15ebad3769951211fdf.jpg

Congrats.  Great Purchase.  I have one in a CGC 3.5 (OW) that I bought back in 1974 at a Comic Shop near my home, Passport Comics, in North Hollywood.  I've kept it raw though so I can read it now and then.  Great story and Carmine Infatino artwork.  A classic DC. HTF in any grade.

2 hours ago, paperheart said:

Flash #163 9.4 in Clink auction :insane:

10x GPA, 5X 9.6 prices - think someone or two entered an extra zero in their bid

Wait, that's not how it works though. Even if they accidentally bid WAY too high, someone else (or two?) must have continued to bid it up.

Why is this issue hot...at all?

I think it just boils down to two people really wanting the book - nothing more than that.  It is a black cover, but with four 9.6's out there and four other 9.4's, it seems high.  Never mind the fact that 9.6's have been in the auction marketplace more than once in the past 3 years.

The seller did very well.