Flash collectors thread
11 11

1,770 posts in this topic

mysterio   
  • Member: Seasoned Veteran
  • 12,553 posts
18 hours ago, Greenlake said:
On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:51 PM, flashlites said:

Would you pay $150 for a coverless #123 if you thought you'd never be able to afford one with a cover? (Suffering from 123 envy!) I had 2 copies in the 90's!! Arrrrrrgh!

No, that's too much -- a copy missing only the back cover went for $71 in January -- and coverless for anything but GA is usually a very bad idea. Try to save up $250, and while you're doing that keep your eyes out because you'll probably see something near your original $150 while you wait.

While I don't disagree that he should wait and find the right copy for that $150, coverless copies have sold for more than the $71 you quoted. I think the person that got that book with the front cover got a pretty good deal, as I have sold similar copies for at/over $100. Getting closer to $100 would be better (obviously), but I don't think it an unreasonable market price for a coverless #123.

flashlites   
  • 49 posts
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, mysterio said:

While I don't disagree that he should wait and find the right copy for that $150, coverless copies have sold for more than the $71 you quoted. I think the person that got that book with the front cover got a pretty good deal, as I have sold similar copies for at/over $100. Getting closer to $100 would be better (obviously), but I don't think it an unreasonable market price for a coverless #123.

Its just hard to believe that its gone up so much! I mean it was always a must have book for a Flash collector but now everybody's got to have one!!?? I would hate to have to settle for a coverless copy then again I may have to. 😀 when did it start to get so hot?

Edited by flashlites

mysterio   
  • Member: Seasoned Veteran
  • 12,553 posts
1 hour ago, flashlites said:

Its just hard to believe that its gone up so much! I mean it was always a must have book for a Flash collector but now everybody's got to have one!!?? I would hate to have to settle for a coverless copy then again I may have to. 😀 when it start to get so hot?

I wouldn't want to pay that much for coverless either, but that doesn't mean it isn't market price. :frustrated:

I'd tell you to wait rather than rush into overpaying. The market may change a bit, or you may grow your budget in the future, or you may luck into a copy by buying a collection or something like that. Don't let your desire for a copy cause you to rush into buying one for the sake of having one.

SpeedforceKJ   
  • 148 posts

new addition to my run. not a bad pick up on a win for $20

2TMSPwVh.jpg

flashlites   
  • 49 posts
On 4/18/2018 at 11:50 AM, SpeedforceKJ said:

new addition to my run. not a bad pick up on a win for $20

2TMSPwVh.jpg

I love it! Awesome pick up! Great cover!

flashlites   
  • 49 posts

If anyone has a mid grade "beater"/ extra copy of 193 Let me know. I'm having a little trouble finding that one right now. Getting this book will tie together 176-266. Thanks Flash boardies!

Edited by flashlites
Addition

flashlites   
  • 49 posts

I just finished reading all 89 pages of this thread. I wanted to let you all know how I impressed I am with your enthusiasm and depth of knowledge of this iconic character! Most of all your amazing books!!! Your collections make mine look like a rescue shelter for the neglected and abused Flash comics. But like I always say when I take in a low grade book "at least it finally made it to a good home"😀 I feel fortunate indeed to be able to chat with the finest Flash collectors in the world. I am just 84 books away from completing the run and a dream that began way back in the 70's. I am inviting us all to share a story of those early days of collecting Flash. I think it would be fun and enlighting. Do any of us still have a book or two from those early collections? Share a photo. Lets see what we get...

flashlites   
  • 49 posts
2 hours ago, flashlites said:

I just finished reading all 89 pages of this thread. I wanted to let you all know how I impressed I am with your enthusiasm and depth of knowledge of this iconic character! Most of all your amazing books!!! Your collections make mine look like a rescue shelter for the neglected and abused Flash comics. But like I always say when I take in a low grade book "at least it finally made it to a good home"😀 I feel fortunate indeed to be able to chat with the finest Flash collectors in the world. I am just 84 books away from completing the run and a dream that began way back in the 70's. I am inviting us all to share a story of those early days of collecting Flash. I think it would be fun and enlighting. Do any of us still have a book or two from those early collections? Share a photo. Lets see what we get...

1524272466930614794202.jpg

flashlites   
  • 49 posts
Just now, flashlites said:

1524272466930614794202.jpg

These were some of the very first "collectors comics" I bought in the late 70's. There were no Comic Book stores back then. I bought them at an antique show.

flashlites   
  • 49 posts
On 4/20/2018 at 8:09 PM, flashlites said:

These were some of the very first "collectors comics" I bought in the late 70's. There were no Comic Book stores back then. I bought them at an antique show.

Back in those days there were no DC archives to access or Gerber photo journals. I was searching for Flash comics that I'd never even seen before. Nobody I new had ever seen a Flash 105 or 106. All I knew is that I had to have them. I had caught the Flash bug!