• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,845 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, frozentundraguy said:

I owned a copy of #108 until about 2 or 3 years ago. If anyone's interested I can relate the back story on that issue, and share the cover scan

Always up for a story about how Flash comics were acquired and or lost. The letting go of a beloved comic or comics is very tough! I've had to do it a few times. Builds character? (Trying to think of something to say here?) I always like to say that Flash came to my rescue, when I really needed a hero he was there. :)

Edited by flashlites
correction

Just now, flashlites said:

Always up for a story about how Flash comics were acquired and or lost. The letting go of a beloved comic or comics is very tough! I've had to do it a few times. Builds character? (Trying to think of something to say here?) I always like to say that Flash came to my rescue, when I really needed a hero he was there. :)

Great. I will see if I can get that written and posted tomorrow. (thumbsu

Spoiler

Four billion years ago, the Earth was a molten mass of slag slowly cooling amidst a roaring cacophony of asteroid strikes rampant throughout the solar system. The solar system was slowly settling down from it’s brawling infant chaotic state that was still ongoing eons after big bang. ... So much for my idle dream of being a sci-fi author. lol  Now fast forward to 1998.

I was given about 150 comic books from my mother-in-law in the fall of 1998. Little did I know that this would launch me on a comic book collecting extravaganza lol on a very modest budget.

There were a few nice G.A. books among those given to me by my mother-in-law, with Superman #89 topping the list.

There was one minor problem, however, lack of scratch.  No way could I afford those G.A. books of 20 years ago, though we all would like a crack at them now at those prices. :whatev:  I didn’t even have a price guide at first, so I was using Ebay to find and help determine what I like and could afford to buy. This state of affairs continued for a while, though I did pick up the OPG at some point in that first year of collecting.

Then after about a year I found a solution to raise some cash, so as to afford something beyond what I had been obtaining thus far. I had a small Mad Magazine collection of perhaps 15 to 18 issues, so I finally relented and thought I can sell these off and obtain a book I couldn’t normally afford.

Spoiler

This is one of the issues of Mad that I hated to part with, in fact it was my favorite issue. After several years I was able to locate another copy that was in much better condition compared to the one I had traded in. Issue #94 pictured below.

So one day I took that down to the LCS to see what I could get in credit or trade. If I recall I was told I could get $100 in cash or $120 in store credit. After some browsing I settled in on Flash #108. It was an issue that had caught my eye on Ebay.

Now fast forward about 18 years. I figured it was finally time to move on from owning that particular issue of Flash, so I sold it to a friend.  The thought being that I would use that money to upgrade and get a better issue.  That plan fell apart quickly, lol as I think I spent that money on a new golf club. Then almost immediately, like after a month or so, I started getting  a huge case of sellers remorse, and asked if I could buy the book back. I even offered to pay quite a bit more to get the book back. No dice said my friend. So for the time being, for the last three years or so, I have abandoned the quest for another copy of Flash #108. However there are so many other great books out there to obtain, that it’s not a problem.

scan0172.jpg

scan0187.jpg

FLASH_108F.jpg

Edited by frozentundraguy

Saw we hit 135 but was home away from my files. Made a special trip to work on Saturday. Possum, "I just have to rush to the office for an emergency" ...This is pulled at both staples. Comic attached but it is that pulling from too tight binding. I have another 135 pulled at one staple. Bought back when young ad poor from a US dealer, for .50c in a  batch with many others. I have looked at three big US cons for this in a nice f/vf grade and found nothing much better than this. I have some other 135 stuff will try and dig out when I can. To many Wally West fans this is THE cover.

DSC05083.JPG

DSC05084.JPG

7 hours ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Saw we hit 135 but was home away from my files. Made a special trip to work on Saturday. Possum, "I just have to rush to the office for an emergency" ...This is pulled at both staples. Comic attached but it is that pulling from too tight binding. I have another 135 pulled at one staple. Bought back when young ad poor from a US dealer, for .50c in a  batch with many others. I have looked at three big US cons for this in a nice f/vf grade and found nothing much better than this. I have some other 135 stuff will try and dig out when I can. To many Wally West fans this is THE cover.

DSC05083.JPG

DSC05084.JPG

Still a very nice copy Terry! Look at those pages, rich and glossy cover. I could order one right now that's in my price range but i'm waiting...there are other priorities right now :)

The new suit was sleek and colorful which was great for the colorful flash character.The stories were strong along with the art team and some of the best DC covers of the Silver Age.

A few more out of the boxes and had to dust them off lol

flash 167.jpg

Dug this book out, and was somewhat surprised it was an LCS pickup. I bought quite a few books from the LCS in the early 2000's, but switched to Ebay for the most part after that. The LCS where I acquired this book was quite a drive, about 20 miles, then he moved his shop even further away as the building he was occupying needed his 500 SQ. ft., yes just 500 square feet. It was cramped but overflowing with comic books. (thumbsu Generally he would charge quite a bit more for his books than the grade would support. However he tended to grade his books about one full grade below what I thought they should be. I picked up this copy of Flash 125 in 2013 graded as a good.

scan0174.jpg

Edited by frozentundraguy

5 hours ago, frozentundraguy said:

Dug this book out, and was somewhat surprised it was an LCS pickup. I bought quite a few books from the LCS in the early 2000's, but switched to Ebay for the most part after that. The LCS where I acquired this book was quite a drive, about 20 miles, then he moved his shop even further away as the building he was occupying needed his 500 SQ. ft., yes just 500 square feet. It was cramped but overflowing with comic books. (thumbsu Generally he would charge quite a bit more for his books than the grade would support. However he tended to grade his books about one full grade below what I thought they should be. I picked up this copy of Flash 125 in 2013 graded as a good.

scan0174.jpg

One of my all time favorite covers! And we see Kid Flash there in his original costume. You can see why it had to change. Having them both in identical costumes just wasn't going to work. I thought they did a good job on its design. Very modern look and unique. What do you all think of the (new) bold yellow and red trim costume?

Edited by flashlites
addition

Finally back at my desk. This page was going so fast I thought this might miss it. With the OZ variations, not all covers were done. Not sure how many, but luckily most of the great ones (not sure 123 made it). Hundred shared covers initially with Tomahawk, which has mentally scarred me. I find it hard to even look at them. Later the Challs by Bob Brown were very popular and Wonder Woman early on had quite a lot. So poor old Barry at many times played second fiddle to the Challs and Tomahawk (who ??).

Due to my age and limited funds, the first I ever saw of Wally was in his 3rd Teen Titans try out (not sure if Showcase of B & B) . I never realised the original costume was what it was until nearly 20 years later when I started buying from US dealers. That cowl with hair showing was very popular in the 40s, especially with MLJ, (The Shield is their best known) but was very rare in the 60s. Many think that new WW costume is one of the best.

Interesting the image in OZ had to be lowered for the Trade mast, but was also moved left. We lost some Wally but gained some of Cinfs lab equipment.

Flash 135.JPG

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs
keep thinking of more to add.

On 3/29/2020 at 2:32 AM, comicjack said:

VG copy but I'm happy with it and i only paid 12 cents 

I have a special love for stuff I bought new back then when people thought this was trash and we were constantly told it was rubbish.A lot of the EC prejudice flowed on for a long time.

46 minutes ago, flashlites said:

One of my all time favorite covers! And we see Kid Flash there in his original costume. You can see why it had to change. Having them both in identical costumes just wasn't going to work. I thought they did a good job on its design. Very modern look and unique. What do you all think of the (new) bold yellow and red trim costume?

The identical costumes does present a major problem, as Kid Flash should have a different look, leading one to wonder what the editor on this series was thinking, or wasnt thinking as the case may be. lol  I do like the covers concept, with the extreme past on the left vs. the missiles on the right, and at first quick glance Flash racing off to handle each situation. As far as the color and design of the costume, I like it much better than the G.A. Flash's costume, though I don't have any of those issues. Having said that the wings on the helmet of the G.A. Flash are pretty cool. (thumbsu

12 minutes ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Finally back at my desk. This page was going so fast I thought this might miss it. With the OZ variations, not all covers were done. Not sure how many, but luckily most of the great ones (not sure 123 made it). Hundred shared covers initially with Tomahawk, which has mentally scarred me. I find it hard to even look at them. Later the Challs by Bob Brown were very popular and Wonder Woman early on had quite a lot. So poor old Barry at many times played second fiddle to the Challs and Tomahawk (who ??).

Due to my age and limited funds, the first I ever saw of Wally was in his 3rd Teen Titans try out (not sure if Showcase of B & B) . I never realised the original costume was what it was until nearly 20 years later when I started buying from US dealers. That cowl with hair showing was very popular in the 40s, especially with MLJ, (The Shield is their best known) but was very rare in the 60s. Many think that new WW costume is one of the best.

Interesting the image in OZ had to be lowered for the Trade mast, but was also moved left. We lost some Wally but gained some of Cinfs lab equipment.

Flash 135.JPG

Did the covers of the Hundred Comics represent what the contents were inside?  What are the OZ variations?  I know when I was reading the comics in the early 60's there was the concept of the big six for DC, IIRC.  That of course, I think, lol was Batman, Superman, Flash, Atom, Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman.  Not totally positive if WW was considered to be in the top six. This was a couple of years before Hawkman reappeared.

Tomahawk was one of those durable titles at the time, pretty much like Blackhawk. Hard to find too many ardent or visible collectors these days, but those books had very long successful runs.

1 hour ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

I have a special love for stuff I bought new back then when people thought this was trash and we were constantly told it was rubbish.A lot of the EC prejudice flowed on for a long time.

They have always been a source to look back as a child to a way better time growing up.So many memories in this hobby and so many great people in it (thumbsu