• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,845 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, frozentundraguy said:

Did the covers of the Hundred Comics represent what the contents were inside?  What are the OZ variations?  I know when I was reading the comics in the early 60's there was the concept of the big six for DC, IIRC.  That of course, I think, lol was Batman, Superman, Flash, Atom, Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman.  Not totally positive if WW was considered to be in the top six. This was a couple of years before Hawkman reappeared.

Tomahawk was one of those durable titles at the time, pretty much like Blackhawk. Hard to find too many ardent or visible collectors these days, but those books had very long successful runs.

Yep, if it was on the cover it was inside. Hundred was monthly and in the US Flash semi monthly, so most flash covers are there. Funny thing is Batman was printed in one of two Superman variants and for a long time was never on the cover. LSH was always the back feature. Lots of Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen covers on these but very few Batman.  Quite a few WW covers on Hundred, and a few Atom, even a couple of Metal Men (at least one). One comic was Mighty which basically has all JLA covers and stories Wonder Comics basically was Aquaman headlining and I will look at the other two and see what is there.  The fun stuff is the back ups (they were 100 pages). Cinf westerns sometimes, same with Gil Kane, Roy Raymaond, Big Town, Martian Manhunter, Tommy Tomorrow, Cave Carson, mystery Sci-fi and adventure.

22 minutes ago, flashlites said:

This was one of the very few the dealers wouldn't take that fateful day when I had to sell my second collection of S.A. Flash back in early 2000. And so it is special to me, worn and missing some of its color it survived, kinda like me. :)

Does this mean it is one of your oldest books ??

4 hours ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Finally back at my desk. This page was going so fast I thought this might miss it. With the OZ variations, not all covers were done. Not sure how many, but luckily most of the great ones (not sure 123 made it). Hundred shared covers initially with Tomahawk, which has mentally scarred me. I find it hard to even look at them. Later the Challs by Bob Brown were very popular and Wonder Woman early on had quite a lot. So poor old Barry at many times played second fiddle to the Challs and Tomahawk (who ??).

Due to my age and limited funds, the first I ever saw of Wally was in his 3rd Teen Titans try out (not sure if Showcase of B & B) . I never realised the original costume was what it was until nearly 20 years later when I started buying from US dealers. That cowl with hair showing was very popular in the 40s, especially with MLJ, (The Shield is their best known) but was very rare in the 60s. Many think that new WW costume is one of the best.

Interesting the image in OZ had to be lowered for the Trade mast, but was also moved left. We lost some Wally but gained some of Cinfs lab equipment.

Flash 135.JPG

Backing up the thread for just a moment. Are the lines on the spine of the book intended to be like a spiral bound notebook? Or is the book actually spiral bound?

25 minutes ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Does this mean it is one of your oldest books ??

Yes, from the 90's collection. My 116 this 136 and a few others and of course my G.A. collection like my Flash #3. I had to sell and had a choice to make. I figured when it came time to rebuild that the S.A. would be the easiest to replace, so I reluctantly let them go and kept the Golden Age books, they are much harder to find and purchase!

Edited by flashlites
Addition

4 minutes ago, frozentundraguy said:

Backing up the thread for just a moment. Are the lines on the spine of the book intended to be like a spiral bound notebook? Or is the book actually spiral bound?

No, it was just square bound. Never get pulled staples, but damm that square binding does not age well. Also our paper does not seem to age/tan like a US comic can it stays quite white/ow, but not as thick. Quite thin and therefore rips and tears are more of an issue.

5 minutes ago, frozentundraguy said:

It looks like a cloth tape binding that says "100 pages". Not a bad idea for a square bound comic!

17 minutes ago, flashlites said:

It's so cool to the the Australian covers Terry!  

How can I resist. Last one for a while but not for want of trying. If I ever see a dealer at a Con with them I will probably faint. They usually come up from people cleaning out garages, or finding a relatives stash or stuff sold on to second hand book stores. Almost never sold by dealers, thank fully. I'll vote for the Oz version. To me it looks better with the title box down the bottom. Looks better balanced.

Flash 136.JPG

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs

12 minutes ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

How can I resist. Last one for a while but not for want of trying. If I ever see a dealer at a Con with them I will probably faint. They usually come up from people cleaning out garages, or finding a relatives stash or stuff sold on to second hand book stores. Almost never sold by dealers, thank fully. I'll vote for the Oz version. To me it looks better with the title box down the bottom. Looks better balanced.

Flash 136.JPG

I agree! The box at the bottom does look a bit better. This one seems to be in nice shape! Your search for these books today reminds me of hunting for old comics back in the early days of collecting here in the U.S. Garage sales and used book stores. Many, many hours searching and almost never finding what you wanted. Still, the few times when you did come across something, it made it special and gave you fresh hope to continue the search!

20 hours ago, frozentundraguy said:

It does look like it’s spiral bound at first glance, but it’s just “100 pages” written over and over again from top to bottom on the spine. Also from the few that I’ve seen, the interior pages are all in black and white.

Edited by Jaylam

22 hours ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Flash 136.JPG

I had never noticed how cramped the top of the book was with the speech balloon and the red text box so close together.  In Flash #127, they did separate the speech balloon and the "Featuring" box achieving a more balanced look. I guess I'm a sucker for the gorilla covers, as I have one more Flash issue with Grodd on the cover, and quite a few other DC comics with gorilla's, just not Strange Adventures #117. lol    I always wondered if Grodd had a joy buzzer under his arm to light up the Flash like that.

scan0177.jpg

Who does not love Gorillas !!!

I think we much be getting close to page 137. So here is the cover to 136. Not mine - and my wife may have a BIG problem if that suddenly appeared in my credit card (my bank may have an even bigger problem). As I said maybe my favourite MM cover. Photo taken by a friend of  a friend ,I think at a Con.

136 cvr caf .jpg

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs

5 hours ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Who does not love Gorillas !!!

I think we much be getting close to page 137. So here is the cover to 136. Not mine - and my wife may have a BIG problem if that suddenly appeared in my credit card (my bank may have and even bigger problem). As I said maybe my favourite MM cover. Photo take by a friend of  a friend ,I think at a Con.

136 cvr caf .jpg

That would be so awesome to have!!! And its not even framed there?? It seems to be wrapped in some kind of old cellophane!!?? That cant be good for preservation. But then again most people did not even save these at all, right? (You are going to turn me into a O.A. collector one of these days Terry!)  :bigsmile:

Last call to get your 136 immortalized for all time on page 136 of the Flash Collectors Thread! 

Get those scanners warmed up and those 137's ready, we are about to turn the page!

Oh Good. Finally. This book was notoriously over graded by dealers 30 years ago. Bought two and both fell  short of the grade given (and price paid). No longer a BIG key, but hard to find nice, so I will stop complaining .  That said the relationship I built with that dealer back in the early 90s came back to me when I really needed some help in 2018 and that story will be completed soon when we get to 140.

DSC05086.JPG