• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,845 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, flashlites said:

And this just in...My friend from the boards here has been keeping an eye out for me in Michigan, helping me fill in some of my big holes in the 300's. This beautiful #347 just arrived! So with this one and the 137 on the way, I think i'm down to just 47 issues left to complete the run!!! Included is the ebay photo of the 137, its blurry but I got a good price on it. You know me, condition is not too important to me at the moment. Its my lot in life to rescue these wayward, lost and abused Flashes and make sure they end up in a good Flashy home and reunited with all their buddies.

Congrats.  Can't wait to see it.

5 hours ago, flashlites said:

I just put an ebay offer in on a 137. Lets see if I can make a deal before we finish the page. Any more 137's out there? 137 going once...going twice...

15 min later (edit)--  just so I don't take away another post for anyone trying to share their 137 with us. My offer was accepted and I now have a 137 on the way Flash Fans!!! 

Just 4 posts left for 137. Git 'yer 138's ready and that scanner all warmed up. We're 'bout to turn the page!

The more I see of this issue 137 the more I like it. However, I'm picking up a strong message from a significant other :sumo: that now is the time to reel things in a bit. :tonofbricks:

Getting back to Comic Connect and their amazing amount of G.A. Flash books. There must be at least 50, but that's just a guess. In all of those issues they did not have a single one that you used to own. :frown:

33 minutes ago, frozentundraguy said:

The more I see of this issue 137 the more I like it. However, I'm picking up a strong message from a significant other :sumo: that now is the time to reel things in a bit. :tonofbricks:

We could run a complete thread on all the various reasons we use to justify this passion. The other thread would be .. "how much have you told them what it is worth".  Personally it would be at least, less than half what it would cost to replace. It is part of that buyers remorse we go through.

45 minutes ago, frozentundraguy said:

Since I just shared my CGC Flash 138 a few days ago, I will share a scan or it before I sent it in to be graded instead. I also have a scan of my reader copy. 

scan0052.jpg

scan0178.jpg

Nice pair! And I mean that in the most tasteful way, of course! :roflmao:Wow, what did that top one get? Lets see if I can guess with out looking back...It looks like it may be a 9.0 to me? (Ok now let me go back and see)

3 minutes ago, flashlites said:

Nice pair! And I mean that in the most tasteful way, of course! :roflmao:Wow, what did that top one get? Lets see if I can guess with out looking back...It looks like it may be a 9.0 to me? (Ok now let me go back and see)

You should get a job at CGC grading books! :bigsmile:  I thought it might do better than the grade received, but I'm ok with it.

3 minutes ago, frozentundraguy said:

You should get a job at CGC grading books! :bigsmile:  I thought it might do better than the grade received, but I'm ok with it.

What did I miss? Its hard to judge only seeing the front. Were there PQ issues? Stain on the back? Maybe some spine ticks/stress that would not be as visible in the yellow printed area.

11 minutes ago, flashlites said:

What did I miss? Its hard to judge only seeing the front. Were there PQ issues? Stain on the back? Maybe some spine ticks/stress that would not be as visible in the yellow printed area.

There's a faint small stain on the back cover, about 3/4 inch long by 1/2 inch high.  Hey who looks at the back cover once it's in hand. lol

On 4/2/2020 at 10:40 AM, Jaylam said:

On a side note, and because I like this thread so much, I managed to pick up this lot from a local auction a few years back. They were all in nice mid and upper mid grade condition.

1116742293_flashauctionlot_edited.jpg.dd2dcc7775bd5d3cebb87e85c25f8225.jpg

A few days ago @Jaylam shared this group photo of some cool Flash books.  A few of those shown above are among my favorites.

Flash #131 with the GL and a menacing space ship about to beam the Flash aboard, appeals to me more than many as I also enjoy sci-fi art and novels. In addition GL books are in very short supply in my collection,  :frown: so I also enjoy the cameo appearance of the GL on this cover. (thumbsu

scan0182.jpg

Edited by frozentundraguy

18 minutes ago, frozentundraguy said:

A few days ago @Jaylam shared this group photo of some cool Flash books.  A few of those shown above are among my favorites.

Flash #131 with the GL and a menacing space ship about to beam the Flash aboard, appeals to me more than many as I also enjoy sci-fi art and novels. In addition GL books are in very short supply in my collection,  :frown: so I also enjoy the cameo appearance of the GL on this cover. (thumbsu

scan0182.jpg

This cover is probably my favorite SA Flash cover right now and has been for the last few years! I love the team-up and of course the UFO, just awesome pop art going on there!

30 minutes ago, flashlites said:

This cover is probably my favorite SA Flash cover right now and has been for the last few years! I love the team-up and of course the UFO, just awesome pop art going on there!

That darn weakness to yellow, such a pain in the arse for old GL.

We are getting really close to page 139 Flash Fans! I can't wait to see what you guys got! I may not get this issue for another year or two because I'm saving and going after a 106 next year. (I'm on a one key a year diet, this year it was the 105 obviously) I love 139 but will have to wait. I hope to have a 147 this year if the price is right. Hopefully before we get to page 147!

6 minutes ago, flashlites said:

We are getting really close to page 139 Flash Fans! I can't wait to see what you guys got! I may not get this issue for another year or two because I'm saving and going after a 106 next year. (I'm on a one key a year diet, this year it was the 105 obviously) I love 139 but will have to wait. I hope to have a 147 this year if the price is right. Hopefully before we get to page 147!

What’s so special about #139? O.o

This is one of my originals that I got back in around 1982. She was a new Diamond dealer and I was a 28 year old guy getting back into what he loved after discovering Infantino had time warped into the 300s Flash. I had a BIG mortgage a boss,  and was lecturing part time as well as working in my own small business part time. This stuff was my reward, as small as it was. That dealer to get her capital unloaded her own collection. All Flash between around 140 to 174 vg-f was .50c and all Flash vf upwards was $1.50. she basically gave me around 1/2 my current SA readers. They have a special place in my heart. I love my Australian editions, but to see Flash in colour for the first time was pretty special.

DSC05819.JPG

DSC05820.JPG

Cannot really explain why but a lot of my old comics from the early 80s have had minimal deterioration of PQ. I got some NM books back then that were cream or cream/ow at best and they were 25 years old at that time. Now 40 years later these are almost the same PQ as when I got them.