• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,845 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Cannot really explain why but a lot of my old comics from the early 80s have had minimal deterioration of PQ. I got some NM books back then that were cream or cream/ow at best and they were 25 years old at that time. Now 40 years later these are almost the same PQ as when I got them.

Must be that thin, dry Australian air Terry? .50 cents to 1.50 seems low even for the early 80's!? But maybe its about right, new Flashes in the early 80's were about .60 I believe. I honestly don't remember what I was paying for the lesser back issues. I remember buying my 106 for $60 and I believe my 108 and 112 were about $10 ea. or so. Love the stories about the old comic book stores! You don't by any chance have a 139 kicking around the house do you?:baiting::smile:.

8 minutes ago, flashlites said:

You don't by any chance have a 139 kicking around the house do you?:baiting::smile:.

Yep, and didn't this book take off when the TV became a hit. The start of a great SA saga, setting up the death of the RF in 324, twenty years later.

DSC05006.JPG

6 minutes ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Yep, and didn't this book take off when the TV became a hit. The start of a great SA saga, setting up the death of the RF in 324, twenty years later.

Yes, it pushed it right out of my price range! (for now anyway) I'll get it eventually. This year i'll have to settle for a 147. I love what the writers on the show did with that character. It really got the show off to a good start. Great mid grade copy there Terry! I'll probably end up with a 2.0, but you know i'll love it just the same :insane:

I was born 1954 so I was the atypical kid in the 60s these books were aimed at. Around this time I had picked up my first Marvels, ASM 29, ASM Ann 2, FF 43, X-Men 13, DD 10. I guess I had gone from a kid who just looked at the stands and bought the Superman variations when I was passing and had a few shilling (rare) to someone who was developing their own specific taste. Although at that time I had not read all the Flash I could (often because the stories were not on the cover), but around this time I sought it out. Did not mean I could find them as I don't think my local newsagent got in a lot and that required a specific trip every week and I may not have had the money. At 2/- (Shilling) they may have been a 100 pages but were about twice what the Marvels went for. I did however read that 139 story when I was eleven. Bought off the stands. Over the next few years those RF stories were among my favourites. (please note favourite is the Australian spelling and favorite just seems so wrong  lol:bigsmile:)

When did Reverse Flash's chest emblem start to be drawn in reverse? It looks like throughout the Silver Age at least it was drawn pointing the same way as Flash's like this:

466490273_REVERSEFLASH_edited1.jpg.90719002231830ae872fbd0ecad365ed.jpg

...then sometime later it started to be drawn in reverse like this:

525651521_REVERSEFLASH_edited.jpg.9bcdfe6b0655c2e6ff2b1a48f8709b5b.jpg

Can anyone point to the exact issue the change took place?

Edited by Jaylam

2 hours ago, SpeedforceKJ said:

As I was going through my flash collection this morning to pull out my 139 I came across this. I forgot I even had it 

2E201CD3-039F-403A-9F47-3BDD35900BA3.thumb.jpeg.98483b6926551a342e3a6995f0a414f8.jpeg

Loved that cover so much i had to have two :luhv:

Edited by comicjack

33 minutes ago, flashlites said:

Let's do some research on this team Flash and see if we can't find out when the emblem was finally reversed. I'm going to guess it happened in the 80's.

I was wrong :roflmao:Its a modern invention possibly 2000's but we still need a Flash'storian to pin it down for us. Any professors of Zoomology out there that can answer this question?

37 minutes ago, flashlites said:

I was wrong :roflmao:Its a modern invention possibly 2000's but we still need a Flash'storian to pin it down for us. Any professors of Zoomology out there that can answer this question?

And I am sure I have it somewhere, thank god I started to index those boxes. Actually it is interesting as Eobard is very rare from 324 until N52 (some in Waids run and a few in Johns.) Sounds like a Waid thing. Will tell Helen not to expect me home early tonight.

This one was from Hugh O'Kennon who was basically a GA dealer. Back in 1982 he never went past 130 but this is around 1983-4 and he had expanded to 140. It was a NM at $5.00 which I think was the guide price for all NM from 130-139. I kind of regret getting such a good one straight off as I never got another copy. Back then a NM could be anything from a 8.5 to a 9.6 as some dealers refused to use the term mint.

008.JPG

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs

This is where I bow out of the page number book posts as the focus of my collection is 105-140 since this is where the majority of flash’s rogues first appear. I have books spread in between 141 and the end of the volume of course though. My goal for vol 1 is to just own all of the showcase appearances ( one down, 3 to go) and 105-140 

FB2CE8E4-E211-4261-83CA-2D3D887CEE23.thumb.jpeg.6555e83b779d150ef9b5744765170a32.jpeg