• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,845 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, SpeedforceKJ said:

This is where I bow out of the page number book posts as the focus of my collection is 105-140 since this is where the majority of flash’s rogues first appear. I have books spread in between 141 and the end of the volume of course though. My goal for vol 1 is to just own all of the showcase appearances ( one down, 3 to go) and 105-140 

FB2CE8E4-E211-4261-83CA-2D3D887CEE23.thumb.jpeg.6555e83b779d150ef9b5744765170a32.jpeg

That's an awesome 140 KJ!!! I remember you showing us your Showcase book a while ago, please share it again when you can. (i'm kinda thinking about getting into the Showcase game too so any input or advise will be greatly appreciated!!!) 105-140 is a great run, do you have them all?! And I have a feeling the further along we go, this page#/issue# thing will become a side note, but its been a lot of fun so far and its kind of shamed me into buying 2 books earlier than I probably would have so that's a good thing :insane:

OK all you awesome Rouge's Fans let's see whatcha got! Tell us about 140, this duo and if you had to cosplay who would you be? Heat Wave or Capt. Cold? :popcorn:

10 hours ago, Jaylam said:

The first time I could find the Reverse Flash's chest emblem drawn in reverse is on the cover of Flash #323 from 1983, however it is not drawn that way anywhere else for the rest of the original run, so still looking for when it became permanent.

Sharp eyes there Jalam! I'm missing 323 so that's why I did not see catch it! My modern collection is a patch work in the 90's through the early 2000's, only a hand full of the new 52 run, I chose to get it in TPB instead. I have everything in Rebirth though. So we will need a modern Flash'storian to solve this Scooby-Doo Mystery! "The day the Reverse Flash, reversed his emblem"

Edited by flashlites
Addition

9 hours ago, SpeedforceKJ said:

here’s my showcase 13. It’s rough but I got it at a convention in London back in 2016. The dealer I got it from ended up becoming my go to guy while I was stationed there. I got my Flash 110 from him the same day I got this so he sold me this for £75. It was a steal of a price. I’m only the third owner of this particular copy.  I’ll eventually send it in for grading just to get it secured so nothing can happen to it.

Any Showcase is a true treasure to own! You are a fortunate Flash fan indeed! I very nearly ordered a SC13 last week but I was 24 hours too late as MCS closed the day before. Crazy thing is I had been looking at it for about a day or so trying to decide if I should pull the trigger. So the day I decided to get it I put it in my basket and everything- then I read the fine print "closed until further notice, no orders will be processed"! I'm kind of trying to stay away from SC until I complete the S.A. run, but it was in my price range which is rare so...yep...it almost happened :insane: but no it didn't.

As you may guess I have been quietly waiting on this page. The following are a copy of 140 owned by Phillip Cetrone, the splash he won with his letter about this issue, and the letter page from 143 with his letter and the notation from that letter page of who the winners were. (he was a hell of lot older than I was in 1964) . Note no one won the cover, and none of the rest of 140 has seen the light of day.

And with this I have probably wiped out over half the 140 page. I may not have the deepest pockets of Flash fans out there but, I have worked hard on my passion which is the Rogues. Anything Rogues but Captain Cold and Heatwave are at my top. Getting this was a very BIG move and had partner approval. She knew what it meant to me. Now ... where in that manuscript !!!!

DSC05821.JPG

DSC05824.JPG

DSC05828.JPG

DSC05829.JPG

This is truly an amazing set Terry!!! So I'm guessing the comic came with the artwork? This is so impressive, to have the art he won and the comics he bought together! Now all we gotta do is find that Steve Cornell and see if he would part with that manuscript! Then you would have the trifecta!

25 minutes ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Edited by flashlites
Addition

19 minutes ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

As you may guess I have been quietly waiting on this page. The following are a copy of 140 owned by Phillip Cetrone, the splash he won with his letter about this issue, and the letter page from 143 with his letter and the notation from that letter page of who the winners were. (he was a hell of lot older than I was in 1964) . Note no one won the cover, and none of the rest of 140 has seen the light of day.

And with this I have probably wiped out over half the 140 page. I may not have the deepest pockets of Flash fans out there but, I have worked hard on my passion which is the Rogues. Anything Rogues but Captain Cold and Heatwave are at my top. Getting this was a very BIG move and had partner approval. She knew what it meant to me. Now ... where in that manuscript !!!!

DSC05821.JPG

DSC05824.JPG

DSC05828.JPG

DSC05829.JPG

That story and the original artwork is awesome. :cloud9: Collecting cannot get much better than having OA of your favorite S.A. super hero, along with the cover, and the fact that it's documented in the same issue. (thumbsu(thumbsu(thumbsu(thumbsu

There is actually a letter from him as well. I put that in a safe place and of course promptly forgot which of my countless safe places it was. He offered this to Gary Calabano a dealer from Chicago. One of our veteran dealers along with numerous Keys. Gary offered it here on CGC in the Original art marketplace, I made an offer on a few pages hoping to get just one, as did many other people. He acknowledged but did not discuss it and then about a week later I thought, maybe he would like to move it all at once. Same day I did my sums on what I thought each page would bring and then deducted 10% for a bulk buy and made him my offer. I did not hear for around a week and I was kicking myself for not making the offer higher when he contacted me and thanked me for the offer and would let me know soon. He checked with HA who quoted a fair bit more, but offered no guarantees and of course there was their commission and he came back to me and said my offer without the commission was okay. I paid but this parcel is too big to ship without a US license for international shipping, so I asked if he knew Harley Yee (kind of a dumb question). He said he was having dinner with him in a couple of nights, (one of Chicago's big Cons was later that week), I chased Harley, offered him a courier fee, one he could not refuse - but mailing this stuff is expensive anyway, and picked it up from Harley nine months later at Emerald City Con. You can imagine how happy I was when it was finally in my hands. And of course at that size it did not fit in my bags but sat between two strong foam boards on the two fights home.It was just great timing. We had just finished a very problematic job at work that was over and above our usual and it basically paid for this. So my partner never really felt that money go anywhere. Very, very lucky indeed.

5 minutes ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

There is actually a letter from him as well. I put that in a safe place and of course promptly forgot which of my countless safe places it was. He offered this to Gary Calabano a dealer from Chicago. One of our veteran dealers along with numerous Keys. Gary offered it here on CGC in the Original art marketplace, I made an offer on a few pages hoping to get just one, as did many other people. He acknowledged but did not discuss it and then about a week later I thought, maybe he would like to move it all at once. Same day I did my sums on what I thought each page would bring and then deducted 10% for a bulk buy and made him my offer. I did not hear for around a week and I was kicking myself for not making the offer higher when he contacted me and thanked me for the offer and would let me know soon. He checked with HA who quoted a fair bit more, but offered no guarantees and of course there was their commission and he came back to me and said my offer without the commission was okay. I paid but this parcel is too big to ship without a US license for international shipping, so I asked if he knew Harley Yee (kind of a dumb question). He said he was having dinner with him in a couple of nights, (one of Chicago's big Cons was later that week), I chased Harley, offered him a courier fee, one he could not refuse - but mailing this stuff is expensive anyway, and picked it up from Harley nine months later at Emerald City Con. You can imagine how happy I was when it was finally in my hands. And of course at that size it did not fit in my bags but sat between two strong foam boards on the two fights home.It was just great timing. We had just finished a very problematic job at work that was over and above our usual and it basically paid for this. So my partner never really felt that money go anywhere. Very, very lucky indeed.

So it sounds like you got more than just the splash page? How many pages did you get?

6 minutes ago, flashlites said:

So it sounds like you got more than just the splash page? How many pages did you get?

Very rare chance to acquire a whole chapter. I have bought a few pages before, but this was Captain Cold and Heatwave !!! So yep got the lot, don't regret it. It kind of did my head in for a while but my wife saw what it meant.

That splash is the first Comic page with HW and it is to my knowledge the only HW page known to exist. Cold is also almost as hard to find and to my knowledge again the 129 Splash is the only other page with him, non of the other 129 pages are circulating and SC8,114,134,150,155,166,174 have no pages circulating. Captain Cold anyone ..whole page, six panel's of Leonard Snart as only his creator could do it. Note the last panel. Cinf used that page design device to cut down on all those  lines that the fur required. Became very common in his bronze flash work, that plus word balloons cutting out that fur !! Now to try and find when Eobard changed his lighting bolt.

DSC05827.JPG

13 minutes ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Very rare chance to acquire a whole chapter. I have bought a few pages before, but this was Captain Cold and Heatwave !!! So yep got the lot, don't regret it. It kind of did my head in for a while but my wife saw what it meant.

That splash is the first Comic page with HW and it is to my knowledge the only HW page known to exist. Cold is also almost as hard to find and to my knowledge again the 129 Splash is the only other page with him, non of the other 129 pages are circulating and SC8,114,134,150,155,166,174 have no pages circulating. Captain Cold anyone ..whole page, six panel's of Leonard Snart as only his creator could do it. Note the last panel. Cinf used that page design device to cut down on all those  lines that the fur required. Became very common in his bronze flash work, that plus word balloons cutting out that fur !! Now to try and find when Eobard changed his lighting bolt.

DSC05827.JPG

Just awesome Terry, Carmine's design and flow he was the master!!! Was it Anderson doing the ink?

33 minutes ago, flashlites said:

Just awesome Terry, Carmine's design and flow he was the master!!! Was it Anderson doing the ink?

Joe Giella. They were a good combination, Joe did of lot of that great work back then. I think MA was doing Hawkman at the time, so not inking as much although I am guessing it is him on the 140 cover. Really love the first panel and the last. As a kid you knew the Flash was the hero, but these guys were like gentlemen thieves. Hard not to cheer for them. (also this is the first time these pages have been posted anywhere, but I think we of all people deserve to see them in the light. )

Oh yeah, that is me in the M65 army coast and goggles. Living the dream. Clients ask why I do it and the answer is " there are two ways I can hang around with attractive young women wearing spandex of which there is very little of, drive a Ferrari or Cosplay. My wife chose Cosplay".

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs

5 hours ago, flashlites said:

"The day the Reverse Flash, reversed his emblem"

N52 Flash 40 p26. Prior to that in Johns Kolins run Zoom had it reversed as well as the blacked out eyes, but this was a first for Eobard. Art by Brett Booth and Norm Rapmund. I am really fond of it. I love Cinf, but enjoy much of the modern stuff as well. They don't do the same volume as they did back in the 60s and technology it so much superior in art and production, impossible to compare.

Professor_Zoom_Prime_Earth_0001.jpg

I have always been fond of the Silver Age Flash covers. They were able to pull off some quirky concepts of a compromised Flash that were presented and masterfully done on some covers. Here are a few of my favorites. 
#115 Fat Flash

#126 Mirror Flash

#132 Heavy Flash

#133 Puppet Flash

#157 Old Flash

#159 Flash Quits

#162 Scared Flash

#166 Broken Leg Flash

#172 Empty Costume/Classic Grodd Cover

#174 Concept Logo/Rogues Cover,

#175 Superman/Flash Race,

#177 Big Head Flash.

Edited by Jaylam

8 hours ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

N52 Flash 40 p26. Prior to that in Johns Kolins run Zoom had it reversed as well as the blacked out eyes, but this was a first for Eobard. Art by Brett Booth and Norm Rapmund. I am really fond of it. I love Cinf, but enjoy much of the modern stuff as well. They don't do the same volume as they did back in the 60s and technology it so much superior in art and production, impossible to compare.

Professor_Zoom_Prime_Earth_0001.jpg

Van Sciver drew Eobard with the "reversed" logo back in 2009 for Flash: Rebirth. It was this story where I think it started to happen for Thawne as even in Blackest Night following this, as Black Flash, Thawne had his logo reversed.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2gYOZYRqZPAS3kBS7bHH

7 hours ago, SpeedforceKJ said:

Van Sciver drew Eobard with the "reversed" logo back in 2009 for Flash: Rebirth. It was this story where I think it started to happen for Thawne as even in Blackest Night following this, as Black Flash, Thawne had his logo reversed.

Yep, well done. I keep forgetting the volume between volumes.