• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New CGC collection for sale

80 posts in this topic

I emailed them and received a response. Unfortunately, every book I wanted was requested by someone else first. So, I'm in a position of waiting in line to get a crack at one of the books on the list.

Well, I sent a PM yesterday and haven't heard anything. But since I still don't really understand what they are doing (taking offers, reserving books, waiting for pricing), I guess I missed out? I dunno.

I bought a book! yay.gif

which one? I'm going to guess it was one I wanted.

Action Comics #285 CGC 9.0 off-white, old label. I paid a lot, but I can understand Steve's thinking. How do you price a 9.0 when a 9.4 just sold for $3,346? Especially when you factor in that prior to that sale, no sales data existed on any copy over an 8.0?

I bought a book! yay.gif

Action Comics #285 CGC 9.0 off-white, old label. I paid a lot, but I can understand Steve's thinking. How do you price a 9.0 when a 9.4 just sold for $3,346? Especially when you factor in that prior to that sale, no sales data existed on any copy over an 8.0?

Yes, but Steve has criticized Heritage's prices as being the result of winning bidders being shilled up (including specifically the 9.4 #285). So isn't it a bit hypocritical of him to then mark his books up based on that allegedly shilled-up price?

I bought a book! yay.gif

Yes, but Steve has criticized Heritage's prices as being the result of winning bidders being shilled up (including specifically the 9.4 #285). So isn't it a bit hypocritical of him to then mark his books up based on that allegedly shilled-up price?

Well, to be fair, Metro still has raw copies in 8.0($109) and 8.5($175). I don't think those prices have changed, and the CGC 9.0 is part of a new collection. The market seems quite strong right now(heck, a GL #76 in CGC 9.0 sold for $800 last night). I think it's likely that if Steve had thrown the Action #285 up on eBay, it would have sold for about what I paid.

I just find it surprising that there are no sales on GPA for this book in 8.5, 9.0, or 9.2.

I emailed them and received a response. Unfortunately, every book I wanted was requested by someone else first. So, I'm in a position of waiting in line to get a crack at one of the books on the list.

No response for me...and I responded within 4 hours of receiving the e-mail. This is a crock.

...Jeez Brian,..you got a reply?...what a surprise,...maybe sometime us little folk will get one too,... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

...Jeez Brian,..you got a reply?...what a surprise,...maybe sometime us little folk will get one too,... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Yes, but you'll note I didn't get a chance to buy any books! 27_laughing.gif! My understanding is that the processing system of the timing of the emails is what determined who got first crack at the books. I was driving with my girlfriend to upstate New York, and did not see the emails until late friday. So... I was on the outs.

Now I have to admit, there must be a more organized way to handle this -- but... it never happened.

Anyway -- NM -- I think the Action 285 was on my list -- but I'm no longer expecting to get any sort of crack at any of these books -- some of the books I probably would have paid aggressively on -- but what're you gonna do...

Yes, but you'll note I didn't get a chance to buy any books! 27_laughing.gif! My understanding is that the processing system of the timing of the emails is what determined who got first crack at the books. I was driving with my girlfriend to upstate New York, and did not see the emails until late friday. So... I was on the outs.

Now I have to admit, there must be a more organized way to handle this -- but... it never happened.

Anyway -- NM -- I think the Action 285 was on my list -- but I'm no longer expecting to get any sort of crack at any of these books -- some of the books I probably would have paid aggressively on -- but what're you gonna do...

...no problem here,..in fact I ended up buying one of the books on the Metro list that I was interested in on E-bay this past week in a higher grade,..and knowing Metros prices the 9.4 they had listed would probably be more expensive than the white paged 9.6 that I bought,...and then I ended up buying another book on Comiclink just this morning for a nice price,..so I blew the $1,000.00 that I planned to spend on Metropolis' exciting new collection,...

..it's all good,...I'll still walk over to their booth in San Francisco at Wonder Con,...Vinnie will introduce himself to me for the 20th time in the past 6 years like I was some girl he slept with and can't remember her name,...and then he'll show me some overpriced slabs that I can get on line for about half of what he's asking,....

..I'll thank him,..then take my 2K and go over to Harley or some other high grade dealer and beat out a fair price for some nice Silver DC slabs,...that's the way it's always been with them,..and that's one of the reasons (among others) I stopped buying from them,...I hope some day they can come around and start playing ball with the little guy again,...

...and I emailed them back both here and on the Metro sight Friday night as well,..so I guess that order of e-mails received theory isn't very tight,... confused-smiley-013.gif

What I've been told to the "order of emails" response was that they got multiple, multiple emails on certain books (all of the ones I inquired about) and that they were trying to order the emails and get back to people and contact them... my understanding was that they hadn't even made all of the contacts. All I know is that some people have received responses, but not everyone on their books.

In terms of nice Silver DC -- yes I agree their prices are steep -- and i have had the same discussion about the "little" guy -- but quite honestly, it is hard to argue with the business model because they seem to be having continuous success. Here's an example of a consignment that there has been a feeding frenzy over. While I don't think it's the right attitude, they have a lot of expenses entailed in keeping the doors open.

I like Harley and trying to seek out other avenues to get nice DCs... but there are some books on that list that are hard to turn up and I'm sure that's why there's been so much interest on them this go around.

i understand pricing every 9.4 at 4x guide. why shouldn't they? what i don't understand is why someone bothers to pay the price when with a little patience the book will show up and sell for 2.5x on ebay. are their that many books on that list that don't have a GP in grade in the past year? i doubt it.