• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AMAZING STORIES tv show 1987 comic book episode

25 posts in this topic

For some reason, I brought up a memory of having seen an episode of AMAZING STORIES back in the 80's, featuring some old guy who saved his stuff.

Among the things he saved were GOLDEN AGE comics, and I remember seeing one issue was a DETECTIVE 27.

Well for those of you that are interested, here is a rundown of the whole episode. I found this while searching for it on the internet. AMAZING STORIES 1987 "GATHER ALL YE ACORNS" In case that link ever breaks....you can also read about the episode here........... IN CASE THAT LINK DIES
LASTLY...here is another page about the short -lived AMAZING STORIES, it also mentions the episode "GATHER ALL YE ACORNS" which is the episode that dealt with comic books and other collectibles.... JUMP the SHARK page about AMAZING STORIES
and in case that link ever dies you can read it by following THIS LINK

27_laughing.gif

I just figured if he could catalog all these external links to this episode, he could've also cataloged all the threads on these boards that discuss the episode. confused-smiley-013.gif Anyways, wasn't starting 2 threads about this a bit excessive?

I only saw that episode once but it stuck with me all these years. Awesome story!

West

I created the facsimile versions of the comic books for that show.

Stephen

Stephen, do you know what happened to those facsimiles? I am sure they would have a nice value since they come from one of the best episodes of the series run.

Scott

Wow, I remember that "Acorns" story very well--wasn't Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker), the bum? And if memory serves me, the guy who ended up buying the collection off of him was a nobody at the time, but is now a big star--I can see his face in my mind, but I can't remember his name.

Great, great epidode, even though I was only around 14 when it aired. Best hour of T.V back then, Amazing Stories followed by Alfred Hitchcock Presents.

Jay

I just bought it last night. Looking forward to seeing again after near 20 years!

West

I did too 27_laughing.gif I actually loved watching that show. Hard to believe it's more then 20 years now.

Ahhh the memories, I'm going to have to buy the DVD now too. Anyone have the TALES of the GOLD MONKEY or RIPTIDE (circa 1985) on DVD ???

That "Acorns" episode had Forrest Whitaker in it, I believe as the comic shop dealer. You can see a Detective Comics 27 as one of the issues he has (I'd like to think it's not the original) I think they mention and Action Comics 1 also. The "Family Dog" episode written by Tim Burton is one of my favorites.

I only saw that episode once but it stuck with me all these years. Awesome story!

West

Stephen

Forrest Whitaker, Fast Times at Ridgemont Times, he should have got the OSCAR for that role.

SO, do the original facsimile covers from the AMAZING STORIES episode still exist ?? That is the question...

That "Acorns" episode had Forrest Whitaker in it, I believe as the comic shop dealer. You can see a Detective Comics 27 as one of the issues he has (I'd like to think it's not the original) I think they mention and Action Comics 1 also. The "Family Dog" episode written by Tim Burton is one of my favorites.

Family Dog...LMAO....must have watched that episode 100 times..made my pops tape it for me...Snarling white hot ball of canine terror!!...lol! --Joe

I just bought it last night. Looking forward to seeing again after near 20 years!

West

I did too 27_laughing.gif I actually loved watching that show. Hard to believe it's more then 20 years now.

Ahhh the memories, I'm going to have to buy the DVD now too. Anyone have the TALES of the GOLD MONKEY or RIPTIDE (circa 1985) on DVD ???

Here's a great Riptide story---About 3 or 4 years ago, there was a crime/mystery drama on NBC named Boomtown that featured the usual cast of characters--DA, cops, emt's, firefighters, etc. set in LA. (obviously, I forget the name). Anyway, one episode centered around a washed-up actor who was holding hostages. Penny, who of course was one of the stars of Riptide, played this has-been, who kept having flashbacks to episodes from his past. The flashbacks were, of course, from Riptide. Pretty neat reference to the show.

West

Stephen

Forrest Whitaker, Fast Times at Ridgemont Times, he should have got the OSCAR for that role.<hr>

SO, do the original facsimile covers from the AMAZING STORIES episode still exist ?? That is the question...

They do exist. I think I have them in storage. Not 100% sure where.

S