• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ace Comics featuring Four Favorites, Super Mystery, and Our Flag
6 6

893 posts in this topic

A question for you Ace fans that actually read your comics. Is the Unknown from Super-Mystery the same character as Fate from Hand of Fate a few years later?  As far as I can tell they were both ghostly horror hosts fond of shrouds, and pretty much interchangeable. I guess the name change was due to wanting to create a link to the horror comic title, so at least he didn't end up being called The Baffler.

5 minutes ago, rjpb said:

A question for you Ace fans that actually read your comics. Is the Unknown from Super-Mystery the same character as Fate from Hand of Fate a few years later?  As far as I can tell they were both ghostly horror hosts fond of shrouds, and pretty much interchangeable. I guess the name change was due to wanting to create a link to the horror comic title, so at least he didn't end up being called The Baffler.

I don't crack slabbed books, but from the stories i've read on online sites (can't answer on the Hand of Fate front -i'm not deep into the Ace horror books) The Unknown is probably a variation on the Ace character the Unknown Soldier. The Unknown appeared after the Unknown Soldier feature ceased. Continuity in most golden age books not being what Marvel Comics made it in the 60's, it's unclear whether they are 'the same' character, just transformed. 

2 hours ago, rjpb said:

That’s a great observation and agreed they seem almost interchangeable!! The Baffler 😂🙌 that would have been hilarious!!

From what I saw over on comicbookplus Fate from Hand of Fate wasn’t even in the first issue I saw then later issues he went book length. I think the Unknown actually had his own stories in super mystery but as you said i’m sure they could have switched up the names of the characters and wouldn’t have mattered other than the title of the book. I tend to agree with @sagii that they probably just removed the soldier part of the Unknown Soldier to get to that name but as far as character they were leaning that way in their stories so maybe like EC who also early 1950s and had The Cryptkeeper, the Witch, the Vaultkeeper etc maybe Ace was just coming up with different narrators. I don’t dabble into these straight horror suspense books this is just a guess but a great question no doubt!

1 minute ago, Point Five said:

This is the only Ace I have left. It's awesome from cover to cover. I came close to selling a few times to finance other stuff, but can never quite do it!

lightningv3-1.jpg.735084871bcabb0f65616edd7fe14b55.jpg

If you're gonna keep only one....

That's a killer book!