• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Arrival dates on Pep 22, Pep 23, and Jackpot 4 confirm my thoughts all along...
2 2

103 posts in this topic

I've always known Pep 22 to be on the stands in October, 1941, and Jackpot 4 (in Overstreet listed as "same month as Pep 22") when in reality Jackpot 4 was on the stand at the same time as Pep 24, the February 1942 copy. Jackpot was a quarterly book, and the #3 I had had a penciled in date of September 19, 1941, which would put the next issue, #4, on the stands in late December 1941.

Ebayer "The Bigloo" is listing some bound volumes; note the pencilled in arrival dates:

Pep 23: 11/18/1941

cea1_12.JPG

Pep 24: 12/17/1941

cfd6_12.JPG

Jackpot 4: 12/19/1941

d8ff_12.JPG

Now, will Overstreet please stop saying that Jackpot 4 was the same month as Pep 22? Will people please STOP saying that Jackpot 4 is the 2nd appearance of Archie? Because it's tied for 3rd place with Pep 24.

sign-rantpost.gif

Send an email or PM to Tom Gordon about this, along with the photos. Maybe he'll change it. confused-smiley-013.gif I can see how annoyed an Archie collector would be by this though. Good catch.

You're right, especially when some sellers try to advertise it as the second Archie when they know better. You can't tell me that none of the many comic historians never figured this out too. Shield's known about this for at least five years and has mentioned it more than once on these boards and elsewhere. I think that this info is suddenly forgotten when some J4's happen to go on sale.

meh - house ad? You'd have to rewrite half of the first appearances in the guide.

First Batman, first Spectre, etc. etc. are shown as house ads.

Well, at best, that house ad would be tied for 3rd place, behind Pep 22 and 23. It was on the stands with Jackpot 4 and Pep 24. So it could be 3rd, 4th or 5th.

Well, well well. After some research, I have found the TRUE 2nd appearance of Archie.

It was in Top-Notch Comics #22, cover dated December 1941. On the stands with Pep 22 in October 1941.

And CHECK OUT ARCHIE'S HAIR COLOR!

1661599-topnotch22_48.jpg

cool.gif

1661599-topnotch22_48.jpg.3c663299de40c9d5268c6450aac81208.jpg

meh - house ad? You'd have to rewrite half of the first appearances in the guide.

First Batman, first Spectre, etc. etc. are shown as house ads.

That's exactly my point.. surely you're not suggesting those are actual appearances, so why would you suggest that this archie house ad is one (unless you're joking). confused-smiley-013.gif

Edited by Bronty

Well, well well. After some research, I have found the TRUE 2nd appearance of Archie.

It was in Top-Notch Comics #22, cover dated December 1941. On the stands with Pep 22 in October 1941.

And CHECK OUT ARCHIE'S HAIR COLOR!

1661599-topnotch22_48.jpg

cool.gif

I knew I collected Top Notch for a reason thumbsup2.gif Except adds don't count unfortunately.

I follow some arrival dates as well. Remember this fact, not all books hit the stands the same day or week. It's easy to see if you compare some dates. If a distributer received his books a few days later, they went out later. There was no FedEx or UPS system back then. Stores closer to the printer would have received there books sooner, if they had to get to the other side of the country things could effect delivery times(weather, transportation, etc).

You can find a book hit the stands on 4-1 and then find another copy dated a week earlier or a week later.

So, this is a rather old thread, but does anyone know if this information holds true? CGC still labels Pep 23 as the 3rd appearance of Archie, but they don't label Jackpot 4 (or any comic for that matter) as the 2nd appearance. Overstreet also doesn't take a stand as to which is the 2nd or 3rd. Any new info would be great.

So, this is a rather old thread, but does anyone know if this information holds true? CGC still labels Pep 23 as the 3rd appearance of Archie, but they don't label Jackpot 4 (or any comic for that matter) as the 2nd appearance. Overstreet also doesn't take a stand as to which is the 2nd or 3rd. Any new info would be great.

LoC Catalog of Copyright Entry Dates of Publication are as follows --

Pep 22 -- Oct 15

Pep 23 -- Nov 15

Pep 24 -- Dec 15

Jackpot 4 -- Dec 20

Which essentially backs up the arrival date info at the top of the thread.

In theory, Dates of Publication are supposed to be approximately the earliest dates the periodical was available for sale to the public anywhere. In reality, it appears that they simply listed the 15th for each month when they sent in the registration paperwork on Pep, which I'd doubt is down-to-the-day accurate. More likely they simply planned to go to press the second week of every month for Pep (or something like that).

That said, if we exclude the Top Notch mentioned upthread as an ad (and presuming there's nothing else lurking out there), there's no doubt that Pep 23 is the 2nd app.

I think you can PROBABLY say Pep 24 is the 3rd app, but I wouldn't consider that mortal-lock definitive barring some info or office copies from the publisher's office.

I guess Jackpot #4 will have to settle for first cover appearance. That Top-Notch ad is pretty cool. Not a "first appearance" in the accepted sense, but I'd think of interest to Archie collectors. I didn't realize that Wilbur predated Archie.