• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vampirella's - Show 'em off
14 14

2,294 posts in this topic

Some beautiful vampi's in high grade were auctioned off tonight.  Hopefully some of them will show up here.  I imagine with what's going on in the world, some of them went for incredible prices.  This was my first experience with HA.  I was shootin for the Vampi 11 CGC 9.4 in particular and was grateful to nab it, but it wasn't without a tough fight.  The copy is really vibrant, nicely centered, and has sharp corners (far be it from me to question the grading gods of CGC, but not entirely sure how it wasn't a 9.6).  Needless to say,  I'm excited but I may just stick to Ebay.  That whole Internet bid transitioning to "live-bid" piece rather confused me.  Originally thought I won it for a heck of a lot less.  Nevertheless, It's probably my favorite Frazetta cover in the series.  There was also a beautiful Vampi 2 and 4 in CGC 9.6.  Those, I just came up short while trying to wrangle my boys and get them to bed.  Cheers to the lucky winner(s).  Please consider posting them if you are part of this thread.

Edited by This is Who We Are

8 hours ago, This is Who We Are said:

Some beautiful vampi's in high grade were auctioned off tonight.  Hopefully some of them will show up here.  I imagine with what's going on in the world, some of them went for incredible prices.  This was my first experience with HA.  I was shootin for the Vampi 11 CGC 9.4 in particular and was grateful to nab it, but it wasn't without a tough fight.  The copy is really vibrant, nicely centered, and has sharp corners (far be it from me to question the grading gods of CGC, but not entirely sure how it wasn't a 9.6).  Needless to say,  I'm excited but I may just stick to Ebay.  That whole Internet bid transitioning to "live-bid" piece rather confused me.  Originally thought I won it for a heck of a lot less.  Nevertheless, It's probably my favorite Frazetta cover in the series.  There was also a beautiful Vampi 2 and 4 in CGC 9.6.  Those, I just came up short while trying to wrangle my boys and get them to bed.  Cheers to the lucky winner(s).  Please consider posting them if you are part of this thread.

If you have prices realized, list them here for posterity.  :popcorn:

Note: Amounts include buyer's premium.

55 minutes ago, stippy52 said:

I paid $192 for ta 9.4 Vampirella 11 about a month ago

That was a great price for a lovely copy.  There was one sold last May with off white pages for 264.  I had missed last month's go-around and apparently some others had as well.  Last night, the internet auction (I think they call it) for this vampi 11 ended at 201 (around 220) and this is where i mistakenly thought I walked away victorious.   It then went to the live-auction and got bid up a couple more increments.  This is my favorite Frazetta cover and a true horror masterpiece.  These just don't come up in high grade like this and so I decided to play ball.  I'll hope to post my copy when it comes in.

I may be comparing apples to oranges, but I was surprised the Creepy 91 (1977) sold in a 9.6 at the same price as the vampi 11 in 9.4.  Again, this is maybe apples to oranges, but I was surprised to see a magazine with an unoriginal cover go for so high. 

Edited by This is Who We Are

3 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Right! I thought the 9.2 Vampirella 1 should have gone higher.

What a huge price difference from 9.2 to 9.4!  That’s the second 9.4 sold over $6k recently, while 9.2’s don’t seem to crack $2500 at best. This one had the large grease pencil arrival date right next to Vampirella, so may have contributed to it’s overall weak finish. 

Some were just astounding record high prices (look at the #5 9.6 at $1200, #28 9.6 at $780, etc) while others did poorly (#2 9.6 at $432, #3 9.6 $600 and on another note Eerie 17 9.6 at $660).  Auctions just always seem to have some odd and unexpected results. 

15 minutes ago, This is Who We Are said:

Just picked this Vampi 28 up.  Looked really nice by my eyes.  While i'm really not sure the grade, I won't claim that it's in the realm of that 9.6 that went for nearly 800 the other day, but I figured, why the heck not add this one to my collection?  Of all the particular Vampis in that auction, the 28 was IMHO one of the biggest surprises at just how high it went.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1601.jpg

There's a new sherriff in town. 😎

Awesome book.

17 hours ago, This is Who We Are said:

Just picked this Vampi 28 up.  Looked really nice by my eyes.  While i'm really not sure the grade, I won't claim that it's in the realm of that 9.6 that went for nearly 800 the other day, but I figured, why the heck not add this one to my collection?  Of all the particular Vampis in that auction, the 28 was IMHO one of the biggest surprises at just how high it went.

Could it be because of the Frazetta swipe on the cover?   (shrug)