• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vampirella's - Show 'em off
14 14

2,294 posts in this topic

On 3/31/2020 at 7:22 PM, piper said:

I was looking at a few books on My Comic Shop, but that for the time being will need to be deferred.

Anyone want to sell me some Vampi’s? lol

They are currently shut down anyway...:devil:

The coronavirus shutdown has come to MyComicShop. We are temporarily ceasing operations in accordance with new direction from the governor of Texas. We are not accepting new orders at this time. Please see MyComicShop status updates for more.
Edited by N e r V

3 hours ago, manetteska said:

FWIW two Vampirella CGC 9.0 on eBay -- one right before the HA auction and one right after -- sold for ~$200 more than the HA 9.2.

I saw one of those.  FWIW, that 9.2 wasn’t really a 9.2.  At least not what I would expect for a 9.2.

1 hour ago, Randall Dowling said:

4 hours ago, manetteska said:

FWIW two Vampirella CGC 9.0 on eBay -- one right before the HA auction and one right after -- sold for ~$200 more than the HA 9.2.

I saw one of those.  FWIW, that 9.2 wasn’t really a 9.2.  At least not what I would expect for a 9.2.

Just passing along info as the price on the 9.2 compared to the 9.4 was surprising to a lot of people. 

How about the 9.2 that is up now?

13 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Just passing along info as the price on the 9.2 compared to the 9.4 was surprising to a lot of people. 

How about the 9.2 that is up now?

Where?  Post the link, if you can.  Nevermind, I found it.  It looks pretty loose to me but hard to tell from reflections.  More spine creases than I would expect for sure.

Edited by Randall Dowling
Correction

41 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

Where?  Post the link, if you can.  Nevermind, I found it.  It looks pretty loose to me but hard to tell from reflections.  More spine creases than I would expect for sure.

From what I’ve seen, magazines are graded somewhat looser than comics. 

Or to put it a better way, they are graded accurately but leniency is given due to the larger size of a magazine and other factors making it harder to keep in pristine condition. 

1 hour ago, manetteska said:

From what I’ve seen, magazines are graded somewhat looser than comics. 

Or to put it a better way, they are graded accurately but leniency is given due to the larger size of a magazine and other factors making it harder to keep in pristine condition. 

Yeah, that doesn’t quite explain it.  @The Lions Den was a grader at CGC and I think he can confirm that 9.2s graded today, don’t necessarily look like 9.2s graded 10 years ago.  It’s unfortunately very inconsistent particularly on certain books, Vampirella 1 being the most notorious.  But perhaps, the king of the jungle will have more insight?  (shrug)

FWIW, I’ve cracked out many, many mags from slabs and at any given time, the same book can receive a wide swath of grade possibilities (as in 8.5-9.2).  And you can crack out a 9.4 and find a page cut out...

6 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

Yeah, that doesn’t quite explain it.  @The Lions Den was a grader at CGC and I think he can confirm that 9.2s graded today, don’t necessarily look like 9.2s graded 10 years ago.  It’s unfortunately very inconsistent particularly on certain books, Vampirella 1 being the most notorious.  But perhaps, the king of the jungle will have more insight?  (shrug)

FWIW, I’ve cracked out many, many mags from slabs and at any given time, the same book can receive a wide swath of grade possibilities (as in 8.5-9.2).  And you can crack out a 9.4 and find a page cut out...

As a kid, I wanted to own a comic store.  As things stand currently, and this may be a bit dramatic, but the plight of the professional comic book seller who makes a living on certified comics would seemingly live and die by that paper label.  And beyond the grade, interest/demand ebbs and flows.  Couldn't imagine relying on this nebulous process to pay the bills.  All credit to those who venture into the fray.

2 minutes ago, This is Who We Are said:

As a kid, I wanted to own a comic store.  As things stand currently, and this may be a bit dramatic, but the plight of the professional comic book seller who makes a living on certified comics would seemingly live and die by that paper label.  And beyond the grade, interest/demand ebbs and flows.  Couldn't imagine relying on this nebulous process to pay the bills.  All credit to those who venture into the fray.

I managed a comic book store when I was 20.  And that was in 1991, at the peak of comic shops.  The guy that owned the store was one of the least ethical people I ever encountered.  I can’t imagine what someone has to be like to be successful today.  I know all of the LCS in my area are pretty bad...

Yep

I've got mags graded 8.5 that look better than 9.4's, and vise a versa. 

I managed a comic book store when I was 20.  And that was in 1991, at the peak of comic shops.  The guy that owned the store was one of the least ethical people I ever encountered.  I can’t imagine what someone has to be like to be successful today.  I know all of the LCS in my area are pretty bad...

Not sure what you’re trying to say here regarding sucessful comic store owners. 

12 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Secondly, at CGC, I was mostly a magazine grader, and I was usually considering the buyer more than the seller. I also agree that due to their larger size, magazines are given a bit more leeway when it comes to certain flaws. For instance, a 1/2" crease on a magazine wouldn't have quite the same impact as a 1/2" crease on a comic book. I can also say that the main magazine grader at CGC has been there for 20 years, so he would probably raise a skeptical eyebrow at the idea of being looser than he used to be. 

A lot of good information in your post; I have seen your posts around but somehow never knew you were a grader.

Just highlighting and bolding this section as I said the exact same thing and was told I was wrong and rang your bell to put me in my place. Seems that didn't work out.

2 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:
2 hours ago, This is Who We Are said:

Edited by manetteska
double post; stupid posting on phones

32 minutes ago, manetteska said:

A lot of good information in your post; I have seen your posts around but somehow never knew you were a grader.

Just highlighting and bolding this section as I said the exact same thing and was told I was wrong and rang your bell to put me in my place. Seems that didn't work out.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying.  I wasn’t trying to put you in your place nor did I tell you that it was wrong that magazines being larger allows for more flaws.  What I was saying is that, for me, that doesn’t bridge the gap on that grade.  And I requested Johnny to discuss with all of us.  :foryou:

This is the magazine forum.  It’s a safe space.  We don’t attack people here.

55 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

:whatthe:

You’ve had the same experience.  I know you have!  You’ve owned and sold more graded magazines than anyone I know!  And I agree with you, it seems inhuman to expect no variation in grading over a 10 year period.