• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vampirella's - Show 'em off
14 14

2,294 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, celluloidbuff said:

This is the only one I own (not to derail this forum with statue images):

Vamp_blue.jpg

What's the scale on this one?

I'm happy to see anyone post anything Vampirella related in this thread.  2c

On 8/20/2020 at 8:15 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Completely agree.  Actually, I haven't been super excited for any of the Frazetta-inspired statues.  They all look a little funky to me.  However, I've always wanted Against the Gods since I almost bought it at solicitation.  I used to see it come up for sale fairly regularly but haven't seen one in a while.  ???

@Randall Dowling

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FRAZETTA-War-Against-Gods-PEWTER-SCULPTURE-STAINED-GLASS-etc-177-/303669831589?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

It’s feeling a little brisk out here in Edmonton on this labour day. We’re just about ready to go out for a family breakfast at a local diner. @Artboy99 has been there! It’s the kind of greasy spoon that the Golden Oldies like to go to.

While I’m waiting for everyone to get moving in the house, I thought I’d share why I started collecting Vampirella. I’m typing this on my phone, so apologies for the writing. If I was on my computer, I would edit for flow.

It certainly seemed like an odd fit as I hadn’t to this point collected magazines and focused primarily on Superhero titles. I was a bit too young to have read them back in the 70’s and they were expensive to boot relatively speaking.

I’ve long been an avid fan of Horror Books and Movies, especially ones pertaining to Vampires. I would say that I’m more into the older stuff; let’s say more Hammer Studios and less Saw.

I also am a huge fan of Frazetta. I’ve been working on a Golden Age set of cool covers (e.g Thunda 1, Famous Funnies 209-216) for what seems like forever.

I picked up a Vampirella 1 a number of years back because of the Frazetta cover, had a hot girl on the cover, and thought it might have investment potential.

Fast forward to our last local con, I picked up some early Vampirella covers from a friend. At this point, I still wasn’t thinking of putting a run together.

Then COVID-19 happened. I felt like I need a goal that wouldn’t cost me an arm and a leg in VF or better condition compared to the other Gold, Silver, and Bronze books that I collect.

The covers are absolutely gorgeous and memorable. They contain some of the best artwork in comics

Now that I’ve finished my mini run, picked up a number of other cool covers from Vampirella, Creepy, and Eerie, will I continue? I’d certainly have to start another Magazine Box. I’ll probably pick up a few here and there. Either way, I’ll continue to hangout here... 

A couple of other notes. I was surprised to learn that the interior artwork is as good or even better than the covers. The no colour interiors I think do better justice to the material.

The stories also have an EC feel to them, which also makes them appealing.

Sorry for the long winded explanation. I would love to hear everyone else’s reasons for collecting Vampi, the babe from Draculon.

Just got this set in not long ago.  Anyone ever signed up to be a member of the Scarlet Legion Fan Club?  I remember seeing the advertisements back when I collected Vampirella in the late 90's but never signed up for it.  Looks like you get some pretty nice goodies.  Kinda wished I signed up back then.  Looks like this set was given out during the Miller run.

IMG_4195.jpg

3 hours ago, piper said:

No more Vampi collecting stories?

I first saw Vampirella when I was 17 and looking at comic books at a convention in Bloomington, MN.  It was held at a place called the Thunderbird Motel (now gone and demolished) which was kind of a wild mix of Native American design elements throughout (brightly decorated totem poles, etc.).  Anyway, that was the beginning of a long attraction to appreciation for all things Vampi.  I've been fortunate to have owned and sold many, many copies and continue to enjoy finding fun new foreign editions.

I think it's worth taking a moment to give a shout out to Trina Robbins, who designed the costume for Vampirella (not Frazetta, which I long believed).  She's one of the many unsung women in the early days of comics and if you like Vampirella, it's at least a little bit because of the costume!  Plus, she's led quite an interesting life outside of comics as well!  :headbang:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trina_Robbins

https://womenincomics.fandom.com/wiki/Trina_Robbins

Edited by Randall Dowling
article correction