• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vampirella's - Show 'em off
14 14

2,294 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

Forgot what day it was and missed the auction for the CGC 9.2 Vampirella 7 ... dambit . GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

They say the memory is the first thing to go. I don't know who "they" are , but I just got up for work and its Sunday morning at 2am on my day off.🤔😭

On 2/19/2021 at 7:49 AM, Jayman said:

Just a great Frazetta painting. I’ve come to call it the Stone-age Woman’s Lib cover! It’s also one of a few paintings where he worked in the exposed Masonite as part of the overall illustration. (thumbsu

One of the many reasons to go out of your way to see Frazetta paintings in person. The techniques and build up of material lend a very different experience to paintings youve seen images of for decades. I surely was shocked and delighted myself. 

2 hours ago, Stevemmg said:

One of the many reasons to go out of your way to see Frazetta paintings in person. The techniques and build up of material lend a very different experience to paintings youve seen images of for decades. I surely was shocked and delighted myself. 

Fully agree! I was there in the mid to late 80’s while Ellie was still giving the tours and added a lot of personal insight to the paintings. She even pulled out some of his watercolors that were not out on display for us to see. Regarding his techniques, Franks re painting of Cat Girl had so many layers of oils! Especially on that branch above the girls head, it’s crazy! It’s like an inch thick on the canvas/board. As you said, truly wonderful to see in person! (thumbsu

1 hour ago, Randall Dowling said:

One of the greatest tragedies to befall his paintings.  The original was so much better than where it landed, IMO.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the original is untouched. I don’t believe he painted over the original in this case as he did on the Vampi cover #1 art. I always thought the new cat girl was a started from scratch. (shrug)

Edit: Upon a web search, it seems the original has been reworked. :sorry:

Edited by Jayman

1 hour ago, Jayman said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the original is untouched. I don’t believe he painted over the original in this case as he did on the Vampi cover #1 art. I always thought the new cat girl was a started from scratch. (shrug)

You can actually see one of the cats from the original bleeding through the current version. 

10 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

It's too bad he didn't keep all the different versions of his paintings, isn't it?   

I think in his mind he was just making them better and didn't think much about it. And I don't think he was thinking they would be worth millions of dollars own the road. 

1 minute ago, wombat said:

I think in his mind he was just making them better and didn't think much about it. And I don't think he was thinking they would be worth millions of dollars own the road. 

Good point. And speaking from an artist's point of view, it's usually easier to revise a painting than it is to paint a completely new version (or so I've been told...)  :whistle:

1 hour ago, Jayman said:

Yeah, it's tough.  But many artists in history have done the same thing (particularly in oils).  The difference is that almost none of them (relatively speaking) were widely seen and/or published before being reworked.  It's only because of Creepy 16 that we have any idea what it once looked like.

Kind of makes you wonder if some of the greatest paintings in history were ever reworked and what they might have looked like without.  There's a very interesting and similar story pertaining to Degas and his statue La Petit Danseuse de Quatorze Ans.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/13/arts/design/did-degas-make-this-plaster-an-expert-now-says-yes.html

9 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

Yeah, it's tough.  But many artists in history have done the same thing (particularly in oils).  The difference is that almost none of them (relatively speaking) were widely seen and/or published before being reworked.  It's only because of Creepy 16 that we have any idea what it once looked like.

It’s funny. When I was going to art school, one of our painting teachers once said (regarding reworking - touching up a piece) that once you put your signature on it, it’s done! Never go back and “fix” anything. Just do it better the next time. This way you can look back at your progression as an artist, see the mistakes you’ve made and how you overcame them. I’ve always tried to follow that line of thought. 

The Vampi 1 in the latest Clink auction just closed for $ 3850 in a CGC 9.0. I had to bow out at 3250 and I'll probably live to regret it... it was one SWEET copy. Hope one of you guys got it. To console myself I picked up a copy of the 5000 print run issue of the 25th Anniversary of Vampirella with the cool Frazetta cover and the silver foil. :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

22 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

The Vampi 1 in the latest Clink auction just closed for $ 3850 in a CGC 9.0. I had to bow out at 3250 and I'll probably live to regret it... it was one SWEET copy. Hope one of you guys got it. To console myself I picked up a copy of the 5000 print run issue of the 25th Anniversary of Vampirella with the cool Frazetta cover and the silver foil. :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

What are 9.2's going for these days?

4 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

What are 9.2's going for these days?

That 9.0 is in uncharted territory .... I was sure 3250 was a slam dunk. If the 9.2 has good eye appeal I would think 5K plus ... with an emphasis on the plus. Looks like I'll have to settle for a decent 6.5 if I can even find one. The LCS is working on getting a full run but I don't know the grades. GOD BLESS...