• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vampirella's - Show 'em off
14 14

2,294 posts in this topic

On 5/10/2021 at 6:10 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Very rounded and smooth like I remember from before the days of squishing books.

72975439_Vampi7spine.thumb.jpg.8b3a826e36cca97876791200f9b01f3e.jpg

I kinda wonder about all this pressing going on. I had taken a long hiatus from the hobby from about 2000-2013 and when I came back all this "Industrial" pressing seemed to be going on. I knew people in the old days that would attempt it very carefully by hand  with a warm hand iron, but thought it dangerous even back then as heat and moisture are the enemies of pulp paper. I have mixed feelings about it today. I guess it is a widely accepted practice now. But as the photo above illustrates, a natural rounded fold looks so much better. What happens to the spine? Does it get flattened and creased? What happens to the paper after exposure to heat and moisture? I've seen videos of this being done, humidifying the book carefully then pressing under low heat for hours. Boards are inserted in the centerfold to help support the spine but still I have to wonder if chasing the grade this way ends up causing damage? What are your thoughts?

2 hours ago, flashlites said:

I kinda wonder about all this pressing going on. I had taken a long hiatus from the hobby from about 2000-2013 and when I came back all this "Industrial" pressing seemed to be going on. I knew people in the old days that would attempt it very carefully by hand  with a warm hand iron, but thought it dangerous even back then as heat and moisture are the enemies of pulp paper. I have mixed feelings about it today. I guess it is a widely accepted practice now. But as the photo above illustrates, a natural rounded fold looks so much better. What happens to the spine? Does it get flattened and creased? What happens to the paper after exposure to heat and moisture? I've seen videos of this being done, humidifying the book carefully then pressing under low heat for hours. Boards are inserted in the centerfold to help support the spine but still I have to wonder if chasing the grade this way ends up causing damage? What are your thoughts?

I'm no expert on pressing, although I've had a few regular comics pressed on the way in to grading, with mixed results. I wouldn't press this Vampirella though because I really like that rounded spine look and it's such a pretty copy already. I'm sure that round spine would be squished flat if it got pressed. I've seen similar round spine on fat Golden Age books also and they probably get squished flat if pressed as well.

9 hours ago, flashlites said:

I am completely against pressing.  To me it's another form of restoration.  I dont care how a person tries to explain it away as common practice it's still manipulating the book to atain a higher grade. To me it takes all the fun out of finding that beautiful example out in the wild.

On 5/18/2021 at 7:50 AM, jimjum12 said:

I've given up on purism (... for now) and try not to let the "evil that men do" bother me too much. I've pressed a few books when it came time to sell, but mostly I just point out books I'm selling that could benefit from it, and let the next owner decide. A few of the folks who offer the service seem to have a gift... an ability to press but not "pancake".... but many just ruin them. I, too, place a high premium on a comic or mag that still has a puffy spine, one that light can still pass through one side to the other. When pressing first stared to take off, Marnin tried forming a group called N.O.D., an acronym for "network of disclosure", but it never seemed to gain traction. Not all books will benefit from a press anyway. I'd likely avoid the pedigrees and ultra high grades when it comes to pressing, but I'm in the minority. Like I said, there are some who can press a book and you just can't tell... book still remains somewhat "puffy", but those guys are either backed up until the next decade or only do work for a select group. Those guys are in the minority. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Completely agree with this, Jimbo!  (thumbsu

On 5/19/2021 at 9:19 PM, dover said:

III

:banana:

Vampirella 26 VF+.jpg

Vampirella 100 VF+.jpg

Vampirella 52 VFNM <a href='https://www.ebay.com/' class='notreplace' title='' target='_blank'  style=EBay.jpg">

I love this one (52)! I remember when it hit the stands. I wanted to get it but I was probably only about 11 and well lets just say I was forced to settle for the latest issue of MAD instead.:pullhair: Finally got a copy this year,

Edited by flashlites
addition

I'm glad to say my last large Warren Vampi sale went very well with all books sold towards the end.  Thank you again for everyone that participated and I hope I helped some of y'all with your runs.  Now I like to check the level of interest for Harris and Dynamite Vampi books.  Depending on the level of interests, I can list them here individually or sell it as a huge lot on eBay.  Here's a sneak peak of what I have available.

IMG_4615.jpg