• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vampirella's - Show 'em off
14 14

2,294 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, bounty_coder said:

Oh Momma.  Would you like some Fries with that Shake? :insane:

Call me slow, but I really really dig this Vampi Cover.  It may be one of my top 5 (I should really quantify that some day).  

I love the amount of black used completely framing in the cover.  Vampi's Outfit is bangin.  The color pallete is just cool.  Oh and from what I hear Frazetta actually did Vampi's face for Ken on this one... :gossip:

0444C5A2-6CAC-4465-82F9-D0BC38F7EA97.jpg

Super copy! (worship) The first Vampi I bought (prob bought for me) off the rack too. Don't think that's Vampi on the cover though. This is one of the early non Vampi covers.

5 hours ago, Jayman said:

Super copy! (worship) The first Vampi I bought (prob bought for me) off the rack too. Don't think that's Vampi on the cover though. This is one of the early non Vampi covers.

WHAT!?!! You don't think that's Vampi?  Hmmmm...hm  May be right, sure looks like her though.  I feel better thinking it's her.  Definitely easier to do so than Issues #2 & #3 that's for sure.

1 hour ago, bounty_coder said:
7 hours ago, Jayman said:

WHAT!?!! You don't think that's Vampi?  Hmmmm...hm  May be right, sure looks like her though.  I feel better thinking it's her.  Definitely easier to do so than Issues #2 & #3 that's for sure.

My original copy is lost to time and my present copy is a slabbed 9.2 so I can't flip through to be absolutely certain. I'm pretty sure she is another character in one of the stories.

Two other things to consider; Vampi is always in costume on covers and Frazetta did this face.

I'm 99.9% sure that is not Vampirella. 

Later that same year, Ken received his first professional assignment.  Before he turned the painting in, he took it to Frazetta to get his approval.  Well, Frazetta did not think that the woman in the painting had a terrified enough expression on her face, so he painted over her old face, with a new one of his own, which he felt worked better.   Now it was ready to be turned in.   That painting was done for Warren’s Vampirella Magazine and is titled, “The Lurking Terror”.

1 hour ago, wombat said:

Just read the story. It is not Vampirella. 

I was pretty sure it wasn't her going from just memory. Was she a succubus in the story? Either way as I said earlier, Vampi is always in costume on the covers! 

7 minutes ago, Jayman said:

I was pretty sure it wasn't her going from just memory. Was she a succubus in the story? Either way as I said earlier, Vampi is always in costume on the covers! 

She was a stripper turned magician's assistant who tried to double cross the magician who got killed by said magician who ended up in a grave with the magician. Or something like that. 

On 7/31/2017 at 7:08 PM, wombat said:

She was a stripper turned magician's assistant who tried to double cross the magician who got killed by said magician who ended up in a grave with the magician. Or something like that. 

So first cover appearance of a stripper than?!?! :whatthe: 

On 7/31/2017 at 4:56 PM, wombat said:

I'm 99.9% sure that is not Vampirella. 

Later that same year, Ken received his first professional assignment.  Before he turned the painting in, he took it to Frazetta to get his approval.  Well, Frazetta did not think that the woman in the painting had a terrified enough expression on her face, so he painted over her old face, with a new one of his own, which he felt worked better.   Now it was ready to be turned in.   That painting was done for Warren’s Vampirella Magazine and is titled, “The Lurking Terror”.

I understand the two were related through marriage, this story sort of confirms what I had heard about a somewhat interesting relationship between the two. FWIW I am pretty shocked that Ken Kelly's  cover to the People of the Black Circle did not sell at Profiles. I think its a phenomenal piece of work.

5 minutes ago, Darkga said:

Yep, and this is the only copy of Vampirella #82 I have ever seen that has a red UPC. Do I have an error variant?

It's obviously a variant.  And the majority of copies seem to have the white background.  My guess is that the print run started and somebody quickly realized the UPC wouldn't scan well with a red background and changed the run to the white background.  

Kind of cool looking with red background!  Thanks for sharing!

That makes so much sense! The funny thing is that I sent both copies in to CGC at the same time, but they did not notate the variant. :( I was kinda hoping they would so that there could be a little "discovered by Darkga" footnote in Vampirella history, lol.

5 minutes ago, Darkga said:

That makes so much sense! The funny thing is that I sent both copies in to CGC at the same time, but they did not notate the variant. :( I was kinda hoping they would so that there could be a little "discovered by Darkga" footnote in Vampirella history, lol.

But it's not a variant, it's a printing mistake.

1 minute ago, oakman29 said:

But it's not a variant, it's a printing mistake.

You could technically say the same thing about the Vengeance of Vampirella #1 Royal Blue cover too though. ;)

1 hour ago, Randall Dowling said:

My guess is that the print run started and somebody quickly realized the UPC wouldn't scan well with a red background and changed the run to the white background.  

That's so strange.
Aren't there several issues in the Vampirella run that have a red background around the UPC? Although most I believe are boxed and may be a different shade of red.
Issues 67 and 103, for example.

67a3.jpg   103a1.jpg

@Darkga Nice copies, btw, and a cool find. (thumbsu

5 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

That's so strange.
Aren't there several issues in the Vampirella run that have a red background around the UPC? Although most I believe are boxed and may be a different shade of red.
Issues 67 and 103, for example.

67a3.jpg   103a1.jpg

@Darkga Nice copies, btw, and a cool find. (thumbsu

Yeah, you're right, Bryan.  I don't have a good explanation for that.  Usually UPC codes had a white background to maximize contrast for reflection when they get scanned. It clearly seems intentional on these issues.   Makes me wonder if it's a distribution thing as these are all later in the run.

The plot thickens...

Also, I had been searching eBay randomly for Vampirella #82's (it's one of my favorite Vampirella covers) for about the past 6 months, and I had only seen white UPC copies for sale. The red UPC on mine is what caught my eye originally. I knew it was something special as soon as I saw it.