• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vampirella's - Show 'em off
14 14

2,294 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

Yeah, you're right, Bryan.  I don't have a good explanation for that.  Usually UPC codes had a white background to maximize contrast for reflection when they get scanned. It clearly seems intentional on these issues.   Makes me wonder if it's a distribution thing as these are all later in the run.

That's probably it. It does seem to be an oversight of some sort as they were definitely not stingy with the color use on this cover. It has a lot going on.

Definitely going to keep my eyes open when it comes to this issue. It's neat.

12 hours ago, DeadOne said:

13 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

Yeah, you're right, Bryan.  I don't have a good explanation for that.  Usually UPC codes had a white background to maximize contrast for reflection when they get scanned. It clearly seems intentional on these issues.   Makes me wonder if it's a distribution thing as these are all later in the run.

That's probably it. It does seem to be an oversight of some sort as they were definitely not stingy with the color use on this cover. It has a lot going on.

Definitely going to keep my eyes open when it comes to this issue. It's neat.

Can't say I'm 100% sure on this but where I work, our barcode scanners don't register the color red. Perhaps because the laser light is also a ruby red color. If that is the case, it would still read the barcode with a reddish background on the magazines. Maybe they realized this on the Vampi 82 and took off the white box towards the end of the print run. Who knows? Still a cool oddity! (thumbsu

Edited by Jayman

1 hour ago, oakman29 said:

Bravo!  :golfclap:

Thanks guys, and I discovered that my Vampi 1 IS a Manitoba copy! When I flipped it over I forgot I had the cert behind the backing board! doh!

Edited by Jayman

I would like to give a little story associated with this book. This specific book was in my original collection when I started submitting to CGC, I submitted this book. A number of years ago I sold it.  I just now, today, 10/01/2017 saw the book available for sale and recognized it was my original book, same cert. I kind of missed it so I purchased it. I thought it was about 10 years when I submitted it so I checked on CGC. The grade date was 10/01/2007, 10 years ago to the day. 

Screenshot (774).png

Vampirella#37.jpg

4 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I would like to give a little story associated with this book. This specific book was in my original collection when I started submitting to CGC, I submitted this book. A number of years ago I sold it.  I just now, today, 10/01/2017 saw the book available for sale and recognized it was my original book, same cert. I kind of missed it so I purchased it. I thought it was about 10 years when I submitted it so I checked on CGC. The grade date was 10/01/2007, 10 years ago to the day. 

Screenshot (774).png

Vampirella#37.jpg

Freeking awesome.:headbang: