• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,442 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Isn't it supposed to be a welding torch on undercover crime 7?

7C743E9E-CFC7-47CB-B792-A8A23F7B5182.jpeg.f9fac0ae5e31edadbfb03035d3c69b2c.jpegD2C18169-DC5B-494D-9BC5-EC8AECCDEBEA.jpeg.028eef124c00ed9f8b9999c159235c3a.jpeg

83D0C79A-7548-4F94-84A1-469CF28DA73F.jpeg.74944f37777059776684b9f20f0cf7f3.jpeg

I’m guessing what looks like the popsicle end is actually the “flamed heat” ?

Maybe I’m completely wrong and it’s supposed to be some bizarre hot poker? 

It looks like to me they started with a welding gun of sorts and merged it into a hot poker weapon but honestly I’m not sure what the artist intended.

Edited by N e r V

On 12/24/2017 at 12:16 PM, Sqeggs said:

Nice!  The MF 77 is one of my favorites.

Thanks Tony. I love the MF 77 cover as well. I missed out on a  nice copy that was in an auction and luckily this one popped up on ebay.. One of the cooler anti communist covers imo. 

On 12/29/2017 at 10:04 PM, PopKulture said:

That's an antique soldering iron.

pretty sure its a curling iron. My grandma had one she let my sisters use when we visited. it got red hot and would leave a nasty welt if one of my sister's attention wondered. :) That and the electric coil heater in the bathroom were awesomely dangerous by today's standards.

curl.jpg

Nope, it's an old soldering iron. They had a copper tip just like the one shown and a wooden handle. The earlier ones had to be heated over coals or a fire; later ones were electric like the one shown on the cover. I'm sure a search on the Bay would turn up examples of either.  :foryou:

44 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

So I am calling this the last little purchase of 2017!! I got this off the boards and it came in the mail yesterday. Thanks Dave!! I always thought of it as MLJs version of Captain America Comics #3. To my surprise when I opened up the front cover the published date said Spring of 1941. I took a side by side pic with my Cap #3 (sorry for the glare it was getting late and I was excited!!) I texted the pic to my buddy @Primetime who is a fellow Cap #3 fanatic and he did a little detective work. The Shield Wizard #3 was out March 3rd 1941 and the Captain America Comics #3 was out March 17th 1941 so they are both #3s, both out on the stands within 2 weeks of each other, both sport hero's rocking Red, white and Blue costumes with sidekicks, both have bondage, both have said bondaged characters strapped to Rockets, and both have other worldly type villains with the Red Skull and the Green Monsters!!! Neat stuff I have to admit it really got my Geek dial  turned to 11 for some reason haha!! Now all I need to do before my collecting is said and done is upgrade both copies but these will do for now hehe!! 

38529461795_8864951363_c.jpg

Congratulations Gino! Now all you need is a book from one of your other favorite publishers (Fox) to make it a 41 trifecta: 'Fantastic Comics #21 (also from 1941 but later that year. Hitler has sidekick Davy strapped to a rocket about to be blasted out through a 'window'. No patriotic hero angle though.

48 minutes ago, sagii said:

Congratulations Gino! Now all you need is a book from one of your other favorite publishers (Fox) to make it a 41 trifecta: 'Fantastic Comics #21 (also from 1941 but later that year. Hitler has sidekick Davy strapped to a rocket about to be blasted out through a 'window'. No patriotic hero angle though.

Thanks brother!! The thought crossed my mind!! Can’t seem to find one!! Maybe you could post you beauty so we could see all em all close together!!  

10 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

So I am calling this the last little purchase of 2017!! I got this off the boards and it came in the mail yesterday. Thanks Dave!! I always thought of it as MLJs version of Captain America Comics #3. To my surprise when I opened up the front cover the published date said Spring of 1941. I took a side by side pic with my Cap #3 (sorry for the glare it was getting late and I was excited!!) I texted the pic to my buddy @Primetime who is a fellow Cap #3 fanatic and he did a little detective work. The Shield Wizard #3 was out March 3rd 1941 and the Captain America Comics #3 was out March 17th 1941 so they are both #3s, both out on the stands within 2 weeks of each other, both sport hero's rocking Red, white and Blue costumes with sidekicks, both have bondage, both have said bondaged characters strapped to Rockets, and both have other worldly type villains with the Red Skull and the Green Monsters!!! Neat stuff I have to admit it really got my Geek dial  turned to 11 for some reason haha!! Now all I need to do before my collecting is said and done is upgrade both copies but these will do for now hehe!! 

the sidekick strapped to a rocket/missile trifecta class of '41

Fantastic Comics #21.jpg

13 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Very cool Gino!