• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,432 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Just got this in the mail been chasing a copy for some time. 22 is my favorite # and since I can’t seem to get an Aman 22 and have literally no chance ever at a Pep 22 this will have to do but I ain’t complainin’ man this is even cooler in person!! This will double up as my first purchase of 2018. Also this was put out during the height of my favorite Harvey covers across their lineup which ran for over a year. The color scheme will line nicely with my Speed 28!! The White Mask splash looks awefully familiar to some classic cover with a Bat or something on it. Couple other interior pics for your viewing pleasure...

Champ Comics #22Champ Comics #22Champ Comics #22Champ Comics #22Champ Comics #22Champ Comics #22

Wow, that's super cool Gino! Never seen a copy. I have the Green Hornet pictured above and this Champ just blows it away contents wise. I agree. The covers from this time period rock!

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Wow, that's super cool Gino! Never seen a copy. I have the Green Hornet pictured above and this Champ just blows it away contents wise. I agree. The covers from this time period rock!

You know who and what else rocks RM? You and your spectacular collection!! I hold any compliment from you in the highest regard brother so Grazie Mille!! 

The Champ 20-23 were all Gerber no shows I believe. BTW that Green Hornet is another I have been chasing for some time it’s my favorite cover of the run and the only I know of that uses the hero/horror angle on the cover. I guess we could consider the Nazi Ghostship issue but this one has the filmstrip on the side as well which I think is Supercool!! I think there a few neat splashes in that book of yours my friend. Do you happen to own the other filmstrip issue as well the #7? Both tough books that don’t hardly ever pop up. I know you have the Fuehrer cover or at least i believe i recall you posting that amongst your Many other treasures 

Edited by gino2paulus2

1 hour ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Just got this in the mail been chasing a copy for some time. 22 is my favorite # and since I can’t seem to get an Aman 22 and have literally no chance ever at a Pep 22 this will have to do but I ain’t complainin’ man this is even cooler in person!! This will double up as my first purchase of 2018. Also this was put out during the height of my favorite Harvey covers across their lineup which ran for over a year. The color scheme will line nicely with my Speed 28!! The White Mask splash looks awefully familiar to some classic cover with a Bat or something on it. Couple other interior pics for your viewing pleasure...

Champ Comics #22Champ Comics #22Champ Comics #22Champ Comics #22Champ Comics #22Champ Comics #22

Great stuff Gino, and thanks for the superb splashes!

That's a classic Joe Simon ghoul you've got there on the bottom right of the cover -- with wrinkly prune face, bone chattering dentures, and a hoodie.

Just like this guy (from Wonderworld 15):  5a4fe34ec2f05_ScreenShot2018-01-05at3_42_30PM.png.c306a1e46acd9e254b224daafcb94179.png

44 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

Great stuff Gino, and thanks for the superb splashes!

That's a classic Joe Simon ghoul you've got there on the bottom right of the cover -- with wrinkly prune face, bone chattering dentures, and a hoodie.

Just like this guy (from Wonderworld 15):  5a4fe34ec2f05_ScreenShot2018-01-05at3_42_30PM.png.c306a1e46acd9e254b224daafcb94179.png

Thanks brother and GREAT EYE!!! Most of Lou Fine’s ghoulish fiends on the cover of WW7 had their hoods down but one of em’ in the back kept his up for the attack ? I always thought the 7 and 15 made great bunk mates so I have em’ hanging side by side in my basement ?

38815743174_99c52c8e13_b.jpg38815645064_d25b97d5cd_b.jpg

2 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

:applause:Cool one Gino! Love me some Harvey film reel covers!

17 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Thanks brother and GREAT EYE!!! Most of Lou Fine’s ghoulish fiends on the cover of WW7 had their hoods down but one of em’ in the back kept his up for the attack ? I always thought the 7 and 15 made great bunk mates so I have em’ hanging side by side in my basement ?

38815743174_99c52c8e13_b.jpg38815645064_d25b97d5cd_b.jpg

Wow. So cool! You've clearly got the awesome Fox collection! So those are your original copies in the frames? (I assume not photocopies...)

Great observation on the one hoodie ghoul in WW7. I'd never noticed that outlier ghoul. Maybe a ghoul-in-training? :insane:

6 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

Wow. So cool! You've clearly got the awesome Fox collection! So those are your original copies in the frames? (I assume not photocopies...)

Great observation on the one hoodie ghoul in WW7. I'd never noticed that outlier ghoul. Maybe a ghoul-in-training? :insane:

Haha thanks dude!! I have a few cool Fox books but overall it quite literally is just a group of rags compared to several of the boardies on here that I admire yourself included!!! To answer your question Yes they are real BUT they are not “copies” they are just covers they contain no guts whatsoever. I picked up a few cool covers from boardies the other being a US Jones #2 which I later married to an interior. The significance is they all come from what was termed the FOG collection i guess as they all 3 had faint date stamps with the letters FOG. I was thankfully and again thanks to a boardie able to finally nab a complete original unrestored copy of US Jones #2 but haven’t been able to land complete copies of the other 2 yet. The way prices have been trending especially on the WW7 which has to be a 1K/point book now that no one wants to free from their collections it may be awhile but i’m a patient man (that’s not necessarily true but it sounds good haha!!!)  If I ever track down interiors I would probably remove them and marry them obviously but they are in a windowless basement area with dimmer lights that don’t even go on all that often. I’m a displayer by heart and I actually tried photocopies of other books in the past but it just didn’t “do it” for me personally. I can appreciate others that do though but these just so happen to be the only, “just covers” I own of anything at this time so hey why not the smiles they bring me way outweigh the monetary values of the covers themselves. 

That Champ Comics is awesome, Gino!
I especially like the art of "The Champ" feature… Are there some editorials or other war-related content besides comics?

Just discovering more about the German comics scene 1900-1945, extremely fascinating but hard because I don’t know the language…

3 minutes ago, comicjack said:

Got this from Mike Goldman when the Twilights first came on the market and had it graded so no popcorn fingers on it.One of my top ten covers of all time ,my friends laughed at me when i got it.lol

Umm, my eyesight must be failing me. I don't see no cover... :popcorn:  (speaking of popcorn fingers)

1 minute ago, Zolnerowich said:

Umm, my eyesight must be failing me. I don't see no cover... :popcorn:  (speaking of popcorn fingers)

Fixed i think just for you :smile:

8 minutes ago, comicjack said:

Got this from Mike Goldman when the Twilights first came on the market and had it graded so no popcorn fingers on it.One of my top ten covers of all time ,my friends laughed at me when i got it.lol

102_5264_zps997edfa5.jpg

Oh, FANTASTIC BOOK by the way. Twilight is king. Thanks for the pic!!!!!  

Guess your friends aren't laughing so much now.

1 hour ago, vaillant said:

That Champ Comics is awesome, Gino!
I especially like the art of "The Champ" feature… Are there some editorials or other war-related content besides comics?

Just discovering more about the German comics scene 1900-1945, extremely fascinating but hard because I don’t know the language…

Thanks Claudio my friend!!! There is a text story like in quite a few GA comics that explains the cover and it is war related. To sum it up the Human Meteor and Toby speak to a woman who has a daughter that is trapped in Burma. They head over and find the place she is being kept and have to fight off many Japanese agents at one point struggling mightily. They get knocked down but back onto their feet with bullets bouncing off the Human Meteors chest. They stumble upon a room that has “dope” on the table and figure the daughter Helen has been drugged. They see a trap door leading to the basement/dungeon where they head down and are confronted by several Burmese monks who are trying to throw Helen into a pool. They fight them off and save the day by catching Helen mid air while being tossed before she lands in the pool below and are able to return her mother back in the States. That pretty much sums up all the non illustrated stuff if you can call it that but technically the cover is in essence the illustration that the story is about.