• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,378 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, telerites said:

Aunt Fritzi gets overlooked too often in the realm of GGA.  That is a stunner :smile:

She went strapless on that two-piece - very progressive.

1201131829341.jpg.d28f5ac904d4490f31a78fb5938b3af5.jpg

...Even Church lower and mid grade examples present stunningly. Wow!  :applause:

23 hours ago, manetteska said:

Took a chance on these since they were cheap. Hoping they're complete (or at least most). ;)

IMG_3133.JPG

I was double-lucky on this find.

1. Apart from these, the show was a complete dud; it was, in general, a non-comic show. Those who brought comics as an afterthought only had junk. The comic dealers who were setup were priced above-and-beyond. Example: A raw X-Men #94 marked as a VF+ for $1000. You can buy a graded one for ~ $560. Dealer said he was negotiable on prices but where do you even start when he's that far off?

2. I got to this particular booth late and a buyer was already making a large stack of GA; I saw the Rangers #25 go into his pile and I knew he'd be taking all the good stuff. He went up to the seller with a stack of 25-30 comics. Seller said how about $325 and the buyer came back at $300. The seller wouldn't budge and neither would the buyer; buyer walked away over $25. As soon as the exchange was over I asked the seller (who was still holding the stack) if I could take a look since the other guy passed.

Seller said this was from an OO collector; he had already pulled out the Timelys including Captain America and some Marvel Mystery. I was OK with the scraps.

2 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

This book seems cigar worthy, yes?

Thanks to a trade deal with a top notch boardie. 

IMG_1532.PNG

Wow! Nice one Rick!

Fantastic #2 was actually the random issue I picked up that got me hooked on Fox Comics some 16 years ago. The Fletcher Hanks Stardust story is hysterical.

On 4/24/2018 at 6:47 AM, manetteska said:

I was double-lucky on this find.

1. Apart from these, the show was a complete dud; it was, in general, a non-comic show. Those who brought comics as an afterthought only had junk. The comic dealers who were setup were priced above-and-beyond. Example: A raw X-Men #94 marked as a VF+ for $1000. You can buy a graded one for ~ $560. Dealer said he was negotiable on prices but where do you even start when he's that far off?

2. I got to this particular booth late and a buyer was already making a large stack of GA; I saw the Rangers #25 go into his pile and I knew he'd be taking all the good stuff. He went up to the seller with a stack of 25-30 comics. Seller said how about $325 and the buyer came back at $300. The seller wouldn't budge and neither would the buyer; buyer walked away over $25. As soon as the exchange was over I asked the seller (who was still holding the stack) if I could take a look since the other guy passed.

Seller said this was from an OO collector; he had already pulled out the Timelys including Captain America and some Marvel Mystery. I was OK with the scraps.

:o Talk about the right place at the right time!

Just now, szavisca said:

Well...didn't think I'd ever get a sharp copy of my favorite GA book, but the stars aligned and I reached way beyond my typical to grab this beauty... and fortunately my wife agreed to give me up to a year and a half to "pay her back for it."  Gonna be picking up a lotta extra shifts at work .............. totally worth it.

PL1385inhand.jpg

:applause:

1 hour ago, szavisca said:

Well...didn't think I'd ever get a sharp copy of my favorite GA book, but the stars aligned and I reached way beyond my typical means to grab this beauty... and fortunately my wife agreed to give me up to a year and a half to "pay her back for it."  Gonna be picking up a lotta extra shifts at work .............. totally worth it.

PL1385inhand.jpg

Definitely worth the extra hours :golfclap:

6 hours ago, szavisca said:

Well...didn't think I'd ever get a sharp copy of my favorite GA book, but the stars aligned and I reached way beyond my typical means to grab this beauty... and fortunately my wife agreed to give me up to a year and a half to "pay her back for it."  Gonna be picking up a lotta extra shifts at work .............. totally worth it.

PL1385inhand.jpg

:applause:Congrats my friend! Major score!

8 hours ago, szavisca said:

PL1385inhand.jpg

Congrats! What a Sweet score! At a show? LCS? When you finish the cigar you damn well better be having, please do regale us with any details you're willing to lavish upon us. Happy for you! :headbang:

Now I know how the Monkees must have felt with Jimi Hendrix opening for them, having to post right after Szavisca's score...but it was sitting in some antiques shop, all out of place, and it is a first edition, however ratty. I have always loved pix of this cover, and it's as striking as I expected in person, even in low grade. 

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, Readcomix said:

Congrats! What a Sweet score! At a show? LCS? When you finish the cigar you damn well better be having, please do regale us with any details you're willing to lavish upon us. Happy for you! :headbang:

Thanks!  This is instantly the number one book in my collection and I couldn't be happier.   Obtained it online from a store across country... had put this book on just about every website that does a want list email notification and never actually saw a copy anywhere during the last couple years but at auction on ebay/HA/CC till this came up.  The seller had a really high asking price and I know he took it to a few shows and didn't have any luck...so I just kept in touch and was finally able to talk him down to a price I was comfortable with.  I asked a few boardies to give me their take on the value and I was able to land it at the midpoint of the estimates.  This is a book that I didn't need to get a great deal on, but its all the better that I think I did.  Taking this one to the grave for sure!

exciting stuff I know!

Edited by szavisca

7 hours ago, szavisca said:

Thanks!  This is instantly the number one book in my collection and I couldn't be happier.   Obtained it online from a store across country... had put this book on just about every website that does a want list email notification and never actually saw a copy anywhere during the last couple years but at auction on ebay/HA/CC till this came up.  The seller had a really high asking price and I know he took it to a few shows and didn't have any luck...so I just kept in touch and was finally able to talk him down to a price I was comfortable with.  I asked a few boardies to give me their take on the value and I was able to land it at the midpoint of the estimates.  This is a book that I didn't need to get a great deal on, but its all the better that I think I did.  Taking this one to the grave for sure!

exciting stuff I know!

Love it! Persistence wins for a deserving guy! Congrats!