• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,432 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, MustEatBrains said:

Nice pickup! Always wondered where the other half of the dames bra went missing to on this cover.  

Yeah, and her green dress appears to be in front of her face, but isn't shown in her reflection in the mirror. 

Somehow, I'm willing to overlook those flaws on this cover! :)

6 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Been looking for a nice copy forever. Finally got one :foryou:

B178E122-7BBB-4AC3-B0FB-AAF648378B15.jpeg

Well, a big NEVERMIND to this pickup. :tonofbricks::pullhair:

This book was on Dale Roberts site and I made an offer 6% under asking and it was accepted and I received an email confirmation that it was accepted and I had 7 days or the offer would be rescinded.  Somehow between the time it was accepted and when I could check out someone else bought it at asking. (shrug) 

I have been informed the book was sold to the other person.  I didn’t know I didn’t have a couple hours to check out. I didn’t see the acceptance email until 90 minutes after it was accepted.  

It said on the email I had 7 days so I thought I was good. I was even planning on sending a check so he didn’t have to eat any credit card or PayPal fees. 

If I made a deal with someone on purchasing a book where I accepted their offer and then someone offered me full price I would ALWAYS honor the accepted offer.  I can show you many times that has happened here on my threads. It’s his site and his book so he can do it how he wants. 

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

2 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

This book was on Dale Roberts site and I made an offer 6% under asking and it was accepted.  Somehow between the time it was accepted and when I could check out someone else bought it at asking. (shrug) 

I have been informed the book was sold to the other person.  I didn’t know I didn’t have a couple hours to check out. I didn’t see the acceptance email until 90 minutes after it was accepted.  

It said on the email I had 7 days so I thought I was good. I was even planning on sending a check so he didn’t have to eat any credit card or PayPal fees. 

:facepalm:  Sorry Rick, a book in the hand... You will find another nice one. Very few people here work as hard as you do.

6 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

This book was on Dale Roberts site and I made an offer 6% under asking and it was accepted and I received an email confirmation that it was accepted and I had 7 days or the offer would be rescinded.  Somehow between the time it was accepted and when I could check out someone else bought it at asking. (shrug) 

If I made a deal with someone on purchasing a book where I accepted their offer and then someone offered me full price I would ALWAYS honor the accepted offer.  I can show you many times that has happened here on my threads. It’s his site and his book so he can do it how he wants. 

Major ouch on that one. :sorry:

33 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Major ouch on that one. :sorry:

Ok, I was gonna stay out of this but the situation has been misrepresented.

My site is automated. I get offers practically every day. Sometimes I accept them, sometimes I do not. Accepting the offer does not result in the transaction concluding. The buyer still has to check out and purchase the book. I have accepted offers that are not completed from time to time. In fact, there is one hanging on my site right now. Has been there for 3 days. The fact is, I got up this morning at 6:15. I had 2 offers and a question about the book. I responded to the question, letting the other buyer know that I had a better offer in hand. I went to breakfast with my wife. When we got done which was about 7 my time, I clicked accept the offer. 28 Minutes later, the other buyer was purchased the item at full price. Some two hours later, Rick contacts me about the book. I tell him sorry, the book has sold. 

My site is set up to remove the book from inventory only when it is purchased. Just like almost every e-commerce site out there, if you choose to make an offer, you are running the risk of someone else buying it while you attempt to negotiate. I never talked to Rick about the book personally until it was no longer available. I didn’t sell it out from under him, the book simply sold before he completed check out.

I apologized to Rick that it didn’t work out like he wanted, but the site is set up the way it is for a reason. 

23 minutes ago, Dale Roberts said:

Ok, I was gonna stay out of this but the situation has been misrepresented.

My site is automated. I get offers practically every day. Sometimes I accept them, sometimes I do not. Accepting the offer does not result in the transaction concluding. The buyer still has to check out and purchase the book. I have accepted offers that are not completed from time to time. In fact, there is one hanging on my site right now. Has been there for 3 days. The fact is, I got up this morning at 6:15. I had 2 offers and a question about the book. I responded to the question, letting the other buyer know that I had a better offer in hand. I went to breakfast with my wife. When we got done which was about 7 my time, I clicked accept the offer. 28 Minutes later, the other buyer was purchased the item at full price. Some two hours later, Rick contacts me about the book. I tell him sorry, the book has sold. 

My site is set up to remove the book from inventory only when it is purchased. Just like almost every e-commerce site out there, if you choose to make an offer, you are running the risk of someone else buying it while you attempt to negotiate. I never talked to Rick about the book personally until it was no longer available. I didn’t sell it out from under him, the book simply sold before he completed check out.

I apologized to Rick that it didn’t work out like he wanted, but the site is set up the way it is for a reason. 

Dale,

Might it be worth including the info in bold above in the e-mail in which you accept an offer (assuming that you currently don't)?

Not trying to tell you how to run your business, but it would seem like a way to avoid the misconception that Rick apparently had that the book was his and he had seven days to get you the dough. 

5 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Dale,

Might it be worth including the info in bold above in the e-mail in which you accept an offer (assuming that you currently don't)?

Not trying to tell you how to run your business, but it would seem like a way to avoid the misconception that Rick apparently had that the book was his and he had seven days to get you the dough. 

It’s clear. It says the offer expires in 7 days. Says nothing about the book being held for 7 days.  It also says the transaction is not complete until checkout. In a year and a half, this is the first time it had come up. 

Again, I’m sorry Rick didn’t realize how the site works. But as I said, it is set up that way for a reason. 

Here’s the deal. Somebody else got the book so it’s over. It would’ve not become public if I had not preemptively celebrated. By the time I realized I wasn’t getting the book there were comments on it and so I couldn’t just hide the post so I explained the situation from my vantage point @Dale Roberts

I got the attached email and the attached showed up when I went to the site after my offer was accepted. It’s Pretty easy for me to see where I got the idea the book was mine. I had no clue after my offer was accepted it was still up for grabs. When I clicked the link to pay it would not let me because I guess somebody else bought it after my offer was accepted. 

Would not be a big deal most of the time except this particular book is one I’ve been trying to get in nice shape for years and it was a pretty big letdown. 

Anyway, back to more cigar worthy books here.  We can close the chapter on this, at least on my end.  :foryou:

3D6B7160-ADA1-4151-9868-CB5CC80CEF93.jpeg

DFAD5499-5419-4B4E-9E79-5C303DC516E0.jpeg

I think the offer system most of us are familiar with is ebay's. With ebay, when a seller accepts your offer, that auction is automatically ended and you have bought the book at the agreed price, whether you check out five minutes later or 24 hours later, correct? It makes sense that an e-commerce site might not be set up that way, but it also doesn't seem like a stretch that a buyer could have some confusion over that difference.

As Sqeggs suggests, a clarifying line could be added to the above email conveying some sense of urgency.

From what I know about US contract law--and I am NOT a lawyer--a legally-binding, legally-enforceable contract required three elements: an offer (I will but or sell this), an acceptance (I agree to your terms), and a consideration (the price for the transaction, be it money, goods, or services). Contracts do contain a built-in time limit. I cannot enter into a contract and then wait 20 years to fulfill my end of the transaction unless this is stated in the contract. Despite anything else being said elsewhere on the website, the confirmation email clearly and distinctly states that the seller will agree to accept the offer for a period of 7 days, after which, he/she will consider the contract to be voided. This appears to me to be a legally-binding, legally-enforceable contract.

Without seeing any of the information the website sent to the other buyer, I would guess that the website ALSO entered into a legally-binding, legally-enforceable contract with the other buyer, too.

The most disconcerting aspect of this situation to me is that the website owner stated clearly that the website was purposefully set up in such as way as to allow this type of dual sale to occur.