• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,423 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, MustEatBrains said:
On 6/13/2018 at 6:16 PM, Johnny545 said:

Flame throwers and gore

ugT6Vfn.jpg?1

lol   Don Heck must have been lazy, the dude with the bullet hole in the head seems to be an exact swipe from Horrific 3!

image.thumb.jpeg.836c7a462e9b0779f0f966bef63a6a36.jpeg

And it's not even as if he let much time pass.  War Fur 1 has a cover date of Sep 1952 and Horrific 3 is Jan 1953.

21 hours ago, goldust40 said:
On 6/14/2018 at 9:26 PM, Sqeggs said:

And it's not even as if he let much time pass.  War Fur 1 has a cover date of Sep 1952 and Horrific 3 is Jan 1953.

Either way, one must own them both.

"War Fur" was an interesting typo.  I guess it could work for the category of funny animal WW II books. 

large-0319979001_zpsjqvhbn5a-2.JPG

On 6/14/2018 at 9:26 PM, Sqeggs said:

Actually, the iris area around the eyes are different for each. And that's a big distinction in my opinion. The "bloodshot" eyes in Horrific 3 adds more creepiness to it. We expect horror when it comes to war- just look at what happened during the First and Second World Wars. The cover to Horrific 3 isn't a horror scene that coincides with war. Heck just went a step further in perfecting the face by simply adding definition to the eyes, or "gateways to the soul," which resulted in his drawing one of the greatest precode horror covers ever. He gave us an opportunity to see the inner Heck of this man's cursed or tortured soul at the moment this man encountered Death...

Edited by bronze johnny

On 6/15/2018 at 2:26 AM, Sqeggs said:

It seems Don Heck has a penchant for this type of drawing. I was reading HORRIFIC # 7 dated Sept 1953 when I came across this panel sans bullet hole... 

28x.jpg