• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,423 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, valiantman said:

Hi, my name is Greg. I'm 42 years old. I've been a fan of Superman for 40 years, since I saw Christopher Reeve at the drive-in movie theater.

This is my first purchase of an early issue of Action Comics.

0342678010_1200.jpg

It won't be my last.  The true 1st Lois cover, Action Comics #27, is already in the mail to me, so I'm covered on that particular non-debate.

:foryou:

If anyone is wondering why I purchased this book first, instead of Action Comics #27, it's because I have made up a story about Action #29 and it's got nothing to do with Lois.  On the cover of Action Comics #1, we see the famous green sedan being destroyed by Superman, presumably because it belonged to the bad guys.  Now, since I don't have a million dollars lying around, I looked for the next best (affordable) book after Action #1.  In my made up story, the gangsters who had their sedan destroyed by Superman on the cover of Action #1 got the car fixed and they had the roof removed so they could shoot at Superman next time.  That's what I see on the cover of Action Comics #29... my imaginary sequel to the Action Comics #1 cover.

The 2nd Lois cover is just a bonus.  :grin:

That's great! :)

I think we've had the first Lois cover debate before and I'm on team 27, but it looks like Overstreet/CGC are still hanging in there on 29. hm

I think we've had the discussion before about whether the guy on the left is supposed to be Stalin.  I think he is, making this one of the few WW II covers showing Stalin.  Main argument against, in my view, is that if you are making one guy Stalin, why not make the other guy Hitler, rather than a miscellaneous Nazi?

Only five copies on the census.  

2018-07-18-0001_zpslfe0fbnz.JPG

20 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I think we've had the discussion before about whether the guy on the left is supposed to be Stalin.  I think he is, making this one of the few WW II covers showing Stalin.  Main argument against, in my view, is that if you are making one guy Stalin, why not make the other guy Hitler, rather than a miscellaneous Nazi?

Only five copies on the census.  

2018-07-18-0001_zpslfe0fbnz.JPG

Nice! And yes, rare cover subject during that period. To again state the obvious, SUPER collection T. :golfclap:

20 hours ago, valiantman said:

0342678010_1200.jpg

On the cover of Action Comics #1, we see the famous green sedan being destroyed by Superman, presumably because it belonged to the bad guys.  Now, since I don't have a million dollars lying around, I looked for the next best (affordable) book after Action #1.  In my made up story, the gangsters who had their sedan destroyed by Superman on the cover of Action #1 got the car fixed and they had the roof removed so they could shoot at Superman next time.  That's what I see on the cover of Action Comics #29... my imaginary sequel to the Action Comics #1 cover...

1212083935_ActionComics1.gif.29749c0f5586f4c15d66158e94e96d96.gif

Your correlation sounds plausible to me.  Everything imaginable is possible in comic books. (thumbsu

34 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Had to take “Astro abuse” to grab this from Mr Bedrock at the Torpedo show. Was worth it though because it was the last Joker cover from Batman I needed.

1053E5D8-F4B3-44D3-A153-780744753D8D.jpeg

From the Denny Cobb collection.

1 hour ago, D84 said:

From the Denny Cobb collection.

Ritchie told me a funny story about this collection. It consisted if Bat 1-50, a long run of Detective, World's Finest and the Star Spangled Batman issues. He said when he bought it, he commented that if the guy hadn't written his name on the books, they would be worth more. The guy replied: "If I hadn't written my name on them, I wouldn't have them to sell to you"

22 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Ritchie told me a funny story about this collection. It consisted if Bat 1-50, a long run of Detective, World's Finest and the Star Spangled Batman issues. He said when he bought it, he commented that if the guy hadn't written his name on the books, they would be worth more. The guy replied: "If I hadn't written my name on them, I wouldn't have them to sell to you"

He told me the same story years ago.

Richard (Mr. Bedrock), how long ago did you and Glenn buy that collection? 

On 7/18/2018 at 7:25 PM, Sqeggs said:
On 7/18/2018 at 4:14 PM, valiantman said:

Hi, my name is Greg. I'm 42 years old. I've been a fan of Superman for 40 years, since I saw Christopher Reeve at the drive-in movie theater.

This is my first purchase of an early issue of Action Comics.

0342678010_1200.jpg

It won't be my last.  The true 1st Lois cover, Action Comics #27, is already in the mail to me, so I'm covered on that particular non-debate.

:foryou:

If anyone is wondering why I purchased this book first, instead of Action Comics #27, it's because I have made up a story about Action #29 and it's got nothing to do with Lois.  On the cover of Action Comics #1, we see the famous green sedan being destroyed by Superman, presumably because it belonged to the bad guys.  Now, since I don't have a million dollars lying around, I looked for the next best (affordable) book after Action #1.  In my made up story, the gangsters who had their sedan destroyed by Superman on the cover of Action #1 got the car fixed and they had the roof removed so they could shoot at Superman next time.  That's what I see on the cover of Action Comics #29... my imaginary sequel to the Action Comics #1 cover.

The 2nd Lois cover is just a bonus.  :grin:

That's great! :)

I think we've had the first Lois cover debate before and I'm on team 27, but it looks like Overstreet/CGC are still hanging in there on 29. hm

Here's the #27.  Looks like the exact same woman as #29.

1255278001_1200.jpg