• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,436 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

This post is titled: "I bought a book at San Diego Comic Con without leaving my house!"

The story begins back on Dec. 9, 2017, with my not getting a ticket for SDCC. No surprise there. O.o

Fortunately, some of the boardies were clever enough to score tickets. (thumbsu

Which meant that they attended SDCC, and importantly, took WALL PHOTOS. :)

I have to single out @n2wdw, who first put me on the right path. In addition to his having the best comic cave ever, he took lots of wall photos and posted them on the boards. Here is one of his photos from the July 23, 2018 installment of his Tales of the Comic Book Room:

1593297538_ScreenShot2018-08-15at9_51_36PM.png.fa8466b5f669d49f4cc7381ee418dbc2.png

Can you guess which book caught my eye? No, not the Three Stooges, as funny as they are! And I'm not really a Hedgehog kind of collector. hm

So the next step in my quest (feel free just to scroll to the end if you can't stand the suspense) was to contact Terry @TerrysComics and inquire about the book. I sent Terry an email. The very next day I received the disastrous email reply that the book had been SOLD at SDCC! :whatthe:

Figuring my path had led to a dead end, I contented myself with soothing my sorrows in the CGC Forum sales threads. 

Plucking my way through the threads, I happened upon the sales thread that @Nikelspot had recently launched. Idly reading through the thread, suddenly, lo and behold, there was the book! The very book! A few PMs later, I was the proud owner of the book. It's a bit the worse for wear since it hit the newsstand in 1940, but it is among the hardest of the early books in this title to find, in any kind of grade, and still has pretty great colors.

So special thanks to n2wdw, Terry, and Nik for helping me bring this home from SDCC without ever leaving my house!!!

Hide contents

Mystery_Men_7_jg.thumb.jpg.f3ba11ed476dbac5b9dd11342842ec3b.jpg

Great story.  But what a failure on my part!  I took that picture but didn't even notice the comic, as I would have asked Terry about it.  Probably I was more focused on Sonic.  But I'm happy you got it.

2 hours ago, n2wdw said:

Great story.  But what a failure on my part!  I took that picture but didn't even notice the comic, as I would have asked Terry about it.  Probably I was more focused on Sonic.  But I'm happy you got it.

Whew! Though it looks like you scored some pretty awesome books yourself. Just goes to show that luck and timing are a big part of collecting these funny books.

21 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

This post is titled: "I bought a book at San Diego Comic Con without leaving my house!"

The story begins back on Dec. 9, 2017, with my not getting a ticket for SDCC. No surprise there. O.o

Fortunately, some of the boardies were clever enough to score tickets. (thumbsu

Which meant that they attended SDCC, and importantly, took WALL PHOTOS. :)

I have to single out @n2wdw, who first put me on the right path. In addition to his having the best comic cave ever, he took lots of wall photos and posted them on the boards. Here is one of his photos from the July 23, 2018 installment of his Tales of the Comic Book Room:

1593297538_ScreenShot2018-08-15at9_51_36PM.png.fa8466b5f669d49f4cc7381ee418dbc2.png

Can you guess which book caught my eye? No, not the Three Stooges, as funny as they are! And I'm not really a Hedgehog kind of collector. hm

So the next step in my quest (feel free just to scroll to the end if you can't stand the suspense) was to contact Terry @TerrysComics and inquire about the book. I sent Terry an email. The very next day I received the disastrous email reply that the book had been SOLD at SDCC! :whatthe:

Figuring my path had led to a dead end, I contented myself with soothing my sorrows in the CGC Forum sales threads. 

Plucking my way through the threads, I happened upon the sales thread that @Nikelspot had recently launched. Idly reading through the thread, suddenly, lo and behold, there was the book! The very book! A few PMs later, I was the proud owner of the book. It's a bit the worse for wear since it hit the newsstand in 1940, but it is among the hardest of the early books in this title to find, in any kind of grade, and still has pretty great colors.

So special thanks to n2wdw, Terry, and Nik for helping me bring this home from SDCC without ever leaving my house!!!

Hide contents

Mystery_Men_7_jg.thumb.jpg.f3ba11ed476dbac5b9dd11342842ec3b.jpg

Strangely enough, I also bought a book from Terry by remote control by also scoping out @n2wdw's pic.  Luckily, he hadn't sold my -- admittedly less cool -- book:  The Texan 14. 

The reach of the boards is long and wide!

On 8/9/2018 at 12:41 PM, oceans11 said:

Liked the cover as it’s Kubert, and as an added bonus it’s listed as scarce in guide . 

06B8E386-ECE3-4C52-B879-0EB8B79C01F8.jpeg

Maybe it's just me, but I've always thought this cover had a hint of Ditko in it.  Probably too early for him to have had a hand in it, though.  Maybe the causation is in the other direction -- Kubert influencing Ditko?  Or maybe I'm just imagining things. :)

38 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Maybe it's just me, but I've always thought this cover had a hint of Ditko in it.  Probably too early for him to have had a hand in it, though.  Maybe the causation is in the other direction -- Kubert influencing Ditko?  Or maybe I'm just imagining things. :)

I see it; that's a Harry Osborn-lookin' guy right there.

10 minutes ago, Readcomix said:
49 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I see it; that's a Harry Osborn-lookin' guy right there.

Sure does seem so, doesn't it? 

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Strangely enough, I also bought a book from Terry by remote control by also scoping out @n2wdw's pic.  Luckily, he hadn't sold my -- admittedly less cool -- book:  The Texan 14. 

The reach of the boards is long and wide!

Great telepathic minds think alike!

4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I would agree. It looks a lot more like Ditko than Kubert.

Also has a bit of a Harvey Weinstein slant to it as well...

Edited by Robot Man

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:
7 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I would agree. It looks a lot more like Ditko than Kubert.

Ditko early influences included both Kubert as well as one of Kubert's favorite artists, Mort Meskin.  There are multiple examples from Ditko where he apes their style.

3 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I had never seen this cover before, but while searching a dealer's auctions on ebay I saw it.  I won it cheap too, so I don't know what's up with this book, but I like it.  I mean, just look at it...it has two guns blazing...what could be better than that?  :insane:

30217424788_39ac09c0a5_c.jpg

It's all about the red boots making it special :smile:

6 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I had never seen this cover before, but while searching a dealer's auctions on ebay I saw it.  I won it cheap too, so I don't know what's up with this book, but I like it.  I mean, just look at it...it has two guns blazing...what could be better than that?  :insane:

30217424788_39ac09c0a5_c.jpg

Apparently I'm in cosmic harmony with my fellow boardies lately because I picked up a copy of that one a couple of weeks ago.  Still haven't gotten around to scanning it.