• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,423 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

In terms of grails, this one would go on my short list.

26970880-2ABB-40BD-B2C8-FE1A627E20AF.thumb.jpeg.8270ffaaa03719205ba29fd89c4b24da.jpeg

Big congrats! (worship) Your copy looks great! :cloud9: I swear that book was printed with a weak spine off the press. My copy is missing the back cover. It seems to always show up with back cover missing or spine split. Either way it's the front cover that counts. My favorite golden age cover of all. Again welcome to the club of owning one. (thumbsu:applause::banana:

3 hours ago, miraclemet said:

results from onsite subs this weekend at Baltimore. better pictures tonight.

20180930_222240.jpg

My notes from these submissions

The More Fun comics is a camp Okajima (have had it raw for years).

The Modern Comics got hammered for a back cover shadow, its a 9.2 in every other way (from wwcomics).

The Prison Break 2 is also nicer than its 5.0 (thought it was more like a high 6), but alas foxing on the back cover...

Happily, my BV40, Spirit22 and Brick Bradford all came in a grade or two higher than my pessimism had hoped (thought 5.0, 1.8 and a 4.0). So overall happy subs!

3 hours ago, miraclemet said:

My notes from these submissions

The More Fun comics is a camp Okajima (have had it raw for years).

The Modern Comics got hammered for a back cover shadow, its a 9.2 in every other way (from wwcomics).

The Prison Break 2 is also nicer than its 5.0 (thought it was more like a high 6), but alas foxing on the back cover...

Happily, my BV40, Spirit22 and Brick Bradford all came in a grade or two higher than my pessimism had hoped (thought 5.0, 1.8 and a 4.0). So overall happy subs!

Great books! 

11 hours ago, goldust40 said:

That was number one on mine (until I picked up a copy). Congrats!!

10 hours ago, PUNYHUMAN said:

Big congrats! (worship) Your copy looks great! :cloud9: I swear that book was printed with a weak spine off the press. My copy is missing the back cover. It seems to always show up with back cover missing or spine split. Either way it's the front cover that counts. My favorite golden age cover of all. Again welcome to the club of owning one. (thumbsu:applause::banana:

Thanks goldust40 and PUNYHUMAN!!! I'm thrilled to be part of this club for sure! The detailed line work and spectacular color scheme that Lou Fine brought to this book is just mind-boggling. And the robots! And the train!

My copy has a back cover, though there's a coupon clipped out.  At least the kid who bought the book was careful not to mangle the rest of it -- it's a very tastefully done coupon clipping.

To your point about weak spines, I think this probably applies to a lot of the early Fox titles, certainly to mine at least. It seems all I have to do is open up my GA long box and the split grows by another half millimeter.

It would be great to see your guys' copies one of these days... :wishluck: