• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,417 posts in this topic

Just now, CrocHntr said:

Great book, and so hard to find.  I really miss mine.  Congrats!

That was a big book in the early days of collecting. With the resurgence of Captain Marvel's popularity, maybe it will gain more attention again.

27 minutes ago, CrocHntr said:

Great book, and so hard to find.  I really miss mine.  Congrats!

Thank you; like @Larryw7 said, it's had a kind of apocrypha around it for a long time, being so hard to find. I found it in the hands of a generalist collectibles dealer at a large flea market (he happened to be a comic collector and had gotten it in a trade). Finding one under such circumstances, I felt I had to go home with it. So we talked til we came to a number. Comps are tough; Heritage hasn't sold one in five years.

9 hours ago, Cimm said:

It's taken me quite a few years, but I have finally completed my spectrum set of Planet Comics #52. I bought the "no magenta" copy off of Metropolis years ago, and found a perfectly colored copy on Heritage a couple of weeks ago. As a Fiction House aficionado, the extreme color ranges available in each issue have always fascinated me. Their printer just did not care, and would let the ink go until it was.absolutely.empty.

Planet Comics 52 both ends of the spectrum A.JPG

Planet Comics 52 both ends of the spectrum B.JPG

That “no magenta” copy is awesome! I also recently picked up a copy of #52 on Heritage.

2ADAA207-2504-4E73-A9BD-98D54ED10316.jpeg

5 hours ago, path4play said:

Posted before.. and they are in my sig line :whistle:  but here they are freshly back from CGC. 

img042.jpg

The date stamp is awesome on this one!  1939!