• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,380 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Point Five said:

Cool cover. :) Bought a while back but never got around to posting.

298956919_shadowv8-2.jpg.b53b5c726fe7a9398cdd9172bb1ed70a.jpg

Such a great cover, by the great Bob Powell. Oddly he doesn’t seem to have received the high praise and adulation that many of his artist peers have. Maybe because he was never associated with one particular title or superhero?

57 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

Such a great cover, by the great Bob Powell. Oddly he doesn’t seem to have received the high praise and adulation that many of his artist peers have. Maybe because he was never associated with one particular title or superhero?

He is one of the greats, and not just for clever cover images but for the general clarity and fluidity of his story telling.  He also fairly early in his career hired assistants, obscuring what was really his and, in many cases, diluting the impact of his art.

On 11/17/2018 at 2:14 PM, batman_fan said:

Got it today, puzzles are incomplete but the box is decent.

IMG_3239.jpg

IMG_3241.jpg

IMG_3242.jpg

IMG_3243.jpg

If you found the pieces elsewhere would they be considered "married"?

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

Yes, probably.  Me being the genius I am, I bought many incomplete puzzles over the years figuring merge two puzzles to make one.  Problem is they had multiple punches for making a puzzle so the same puzzle can have different pieces and the registration of the punch to the puzzle artwork is not real well controlled so merging two to make 1 is pretty tough.  :cry:

13 hours ago, batman_fan said:
15 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Yes, probably.  Me being the genius I am, I bought many incomplete puzzles over the years figuring merge two puzzles to make one.  Problem is they had multiple punches for making a puzzle so the same puzzle can have different pieces and the registration of the punch to the puzzle artwork is not real well controlled so merging two to make 1 is pretty tough.  :cry:

You can fix that with a little judicious shaving of the pieces, but then the puzzle would be married and trimmed. :insane:

17 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

In my experience probably not. They aren’t always cut exactly the same. VERY rare puzzle as well. Not likely annother set would turn up with the pieces he needs. Great piece nonetheless!

On 11/18/2018 at 12:02 PM, Zolnerowich said:

I love Powell covers.  I just don't have many of them...but here's a few...

16544435611_7a9c45523f_b.jpg

36145431955_c04132513f_b.jpg

21445243494_718334d389_b.jpg

16461644757_aaf83c6db2_b.jpg

36 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

Clearly you and Bob both have a thing for skulls! Great books by the way!!

You know, I never noticed that connection before...but I like skull covers, so I guess that's the reason.  I would have a lot more Powell Shadows if I could find them...and I just ordered another Powell book 5 minutes ago.  I'll post that one when it gets here.  No skull on it though...

Here's a couple more Powell covers (not signed) that might not be as well known...In fact, I didn't know until 10 minutes ago...LOL

15923535504_7ac706cc4b_b.jpg

22253222855_658d54c9e0_b.jpg

And of course...the real RARE one...:whistle:

21405443554_87f4939f91_b.jpg

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian