• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,380 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Oh, and another little gem and one of my most favorite GA Books, More Fun #52...

Knew I was missing things on that table, let alone identifying the great Everett Centaurs, some sweet '50s Detectives, etc. :-)

Edited by originalisbest

On 11/30/2018 at 5:26 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

I had concerns about the PQ on this but I gotta say there is nothing on the front or rear cover that give you any feeling other than OW/W. Super glossy deep colors. Very happy :foryou:

No lightening on these scans

fc.jpg

bc.jpg

Yeah, seems pretty common to get the LT designation even when the covers seem more or less white.  Makes you wonder if you resubmitted, whether the pq roulette might result in a CR-OW. 

Public Service Announcement: For those of you still using Photobucket ...which includes me, BTW... I've discovered a way to remove the haze from scanned cover images that occasionally occur without tweaking contrast and brightness settings.  This allows encapsulated books in posted images to look more as they do in hand without artificially jacking the color saturation or fiddling too much with brightness and contrast settings.  Many here may have already worked with enhanced settings to get images they're happy with, but I just lucked onto this and decided to share what I've found to be an easier fix with those folks who are interested.  Here is the image posted earlier, which is fine, but has a bit of haze presumably because the holder reflects too much scanner light:

06e453d5-95f4-4d72-8999-48d00f2f57c6_zps

Here is the same Photobucket image edited with the FADE balance (-|+) setting turned to zero (-) in COLOR...

dd07a1ae-8868-4d5d-acec-efa943736170_zps

I'm not sure how long I'll keep the prior image in the same folder.  If the image link is broken I'll probably edit this post so that both images can remain up awhile for comparison's sake.  I just hope this information is of some use to those still using Photobucket services. :foryou:

PS: The haze issue wasn't noticeable with scans uploaded through Photobucket as recently as a year ago, so this problem may have evolved through Photobucket fiddling with their own image editing options to expand or "improve" these functions.

Edited by Cat-Man_America

15 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Public Service Announcement: For those of you still using Photobucket ...which includes me, BTW . . .

I haven't used photobucket since it became randsome ware many years ago.

Have they changed back to free hosting?

On 12/4/2018 at 6:04 AM, tabcom said:

I haven't used photobucket since it became randsome ware many years ago.

Have they changed back to free hosting?

No, but they quickly learned those outlandish annual fees ($300-$500) weren't going to fly.  Once that realization sunk-in they started offering more reasonable budget oriented plans suited to an individual's personal usage.  Pb certainly charges ridiculously high annual fees for those using their hosting service to maintain on-line businesses or run eBay auctions.

Outrage over introducing a high annual fee policy apparently backfired amid accusations that Photobucket bait & switched services ignoring promises made over the years to customers who'd paid fees for expanded bandwidth on the site.  

The bad PR and increasingly erratic service apparently took it's toll.  After mass customer complaints and on-line critiques of substandard service they finally started offering more affordable streamlined plans for those who just used the service to store images for posting to non-commercial third party sites and chat boards.

The key word here is non-commercial, but to avoid excessive fees data held on the site for business applications can always be moved to another more user friendly free site or to your home computer so that images can be inserted into auctions, or on-line store displays.

So, is Photobucket still worth using? That depends.  If you're new to image hosting a better option might be to find a friendlier hosting site for editing & storage of scanned images.  OTOH, if you've been with Photobucket a long time and store a lot of images there, it might be a better use of your time to negotiate a lower annual fee ($100 or thereabouts isn't "free" but reasonable enough if pop-up ads are blocked, IMO).

Edited by Cat-Man_America

On 12/3/2018 at 3:26 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

Public Service Announcement: For those of you still using Photobucket ...which includes me, BTW... I've discovered a way to remove the haze from scanned cover images that occasionally occur without tweaking contrast and brightness settings.  This allows encapsulated books in posted images to look more as they do in hand without artificially jacking the color saturation or fiddling too much with brightness and contrast settings.  Many here may have already worked with enhanced settings to get images they're happy with, but I just lucked onto this and decided to share what I've found to be an easier fix with those folks who are interested.  Here is the image posted earlier, which is fine, but has a bit of haze presumably because the holder reflects too much scanner light:

4eb8efe2-9496-44ec-864e-0067f3fbf79d_zps

Here is the same Photobucket image edited with the FADE balance (-|+) setting turned to zero (-) in COLOR...

dd07a1ae-8868-4d5d-acec-efa943736170_zps

I'm not sure how long I'll keep the prior image in the same folder.  If the image link is broken I'll probably edit this post so that both images can remain up awhile for comparison's sake.  I just hope this information is of some use to those still using Photobucket services. :foryou:

PS: The haze issue wasn't noticeable with scans uploaded through Photobucket as recently as a year ago, so this problem may have evolved through Photobucket fiddling with their own image editing options to expand or "improve" these functions.

Thanks for the tip; I'll try it.  I've changed to downloading images from PB, so I can just drag them into a post.  That way I don't have to worry about links getting broken.  My main beef with PB is how often the cropping tool doesn't work. Of course, they also had an outage of a couple days last week ....

Most of my collection is in a Timely vein, so I tend to post new acquisitions more frequently in that thread.  OTOH, some of non-Timely books haven't been posted here in quite awhile.  

With better scans & Photobucket edits at my disposal maybe it's time to ZIP on over and pay my respects... (thumbsu

5716cd46-a8db-4c25-9cc8-914be4c350a3_zps

Who knows, I may slip a recent Timely pick-up or two in here too!   :devil: