• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,417 posts in this topic

On 4/3/2019 at 5:27 AM, Joshua33 said:

This came in and I just had to send it back. It was completely missing the bottom staple, but I love this cover, if anyone has one they would like to move? :wishluck:

20190311_145158.jpg

That book is smoking hot. I recently paid through the nose for CGC 3.5. Thought I would just get it while I still can. Can always upgrade later. Looks like a nice copy other than the missing staple. I would have tried to negotiate a lower price (depending on what you paid). It’s not like you couldn’t resell it when you found another copy closer to your liking. Again, depending on what you paid.

5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

That book is smoking hot. I recently paid through the nose for CGC 3.5. Thought I would just get it while I still can. Can always upgrade later. Looks like a nice copy other than the missing staple. I would have tried to negotiate a lower price (depending on what you paid). It’s not like you couldn’t resell it when you found another copy closer to your liking. Again, depending on what you paid.

I agree.  He shoulda asked for a partial refund, then taken a staple out of a similar age book of less value, and put it in.  Easy undetectable fix.

7 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Good suggestion. And I did try that, but he said he'd rather take it back than discount it. It's for sale again with the lower staple issue now disclosed. 

2 hours ago, fifties said:

I agree.  He shoulda asked for a partial refund, then taken a staple out of a similar age book of less value, and put it in.  Easy undetectable fix.

No offense, but I dont try to make books something they aren't. 

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:
17 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

A cool painted cover River City at WonderCon courtesy of A-1...

heman2.jpg

Wow, you must have snuck in early to hit that. I would have been all over that one. One of my favorite shark covers...

I think I got lucky. I didn't get to Brian's table until Saturday, and only because he told me he had gotten some new River City books. The box had obviously been picked through, but this book and a Crazy #1 were still in there. Sweet!

On 4/3/2019 at 2:29 PM, Joshua33 said:

Cool Whitman Planet.

20190316_134807.jpg

The understatement of the century!  I consider this to be his finest work.  It is one of my very favorite Planet covers.  A true masterpiece.  Your copy looks lovely!

3 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

The understatement of the century!  I consider this to be his finest work.  It is one of my very favorite Planet covers.  A true masterpiece.  Your copy looks lovely!

Thanks. I'd have to go with Ghost 6 for my taste, but this one is sexy, too!!! Good eye.

3 minutes ago, Joshua33 said:

Thanks. I'd have to go with Ghost 6 for my taste, but this one is sexy, too!!! Good eye.

Ghost 6 is also phenomenal! I can’t fault you for picking that one. I also consider Planet 71 to be in that same conversation. He did some truly wonderful work for Fiction House.

I have a question I’m certain I can get the answer for here.  Look at these two books.  Two different publishers, 3 years apart.  Only thing in common is Matt Baker.  There are so many similarities it’s surreal.  The explanation isn’t obvious.  I’m wondering what it is.  The artistry of the two ladies tilt, the angles, the action, the symmetry are all 👨‍🍳, but the thing that maybe stands out the most is the color scheme.   It almost looks like Baker had the same colorist at the same publisher and said make APC 8 look identical to Seven Seas 6, can we get the same ink?  It’s surreal to me.  I can think of a few Batman covers years apart with close to identical color schemes, but that’s easier explained it seems.CF193B25-4D16-47D7-9406-18849711BDEE.thumb.jpeg.5b8d39a1245a00f1813b9925d5c91d68.jpeg1D37BE2C-04BE-425B-BC5D-40CEFE7F9B9B.thumb.png.22b543f578e402996bad83f3e807d3c3.png

...I answered my own question.  If it ain’t broke don’t fix it, for the artists that mimic themselves.  And copying is the sincerest form of flattery for those that were “inspired” by someone else.  I guess it’s all over the place without having to look too hard.  Thanks for entertaining my naïveté...77AEE9AF-BD5E-41BE-8022-4A436B1A2CE0.thumb.png.cc00466e3ea6e3edd388d90a01ded269.png

Edited by eschnit

On 4/5/2019 at 6:15 AM, Robot Man said:

Such a cool book!