• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,380 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, N e r V said:

I’ve seen it on the boards a few times now and some pretty high grade copies pass in other places but yes, it’s not a cheap book as far as popular Fawcett covers go.

$2,500 for a barely vg copy seemed rather steep for me. And yes, I don’t want it THAT bad...

25 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

$2,500 for a barely vg copy seemed rather steep for me. And yes, I don’t want it THAT bad...

Wow. Ok, it’s not quite that hot of a book. lol

Next time you may want to ask the seller if they’re feeling OK and have taken their meds for the day...,:devil:

36 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

And if you think I’m being mean or that I’m saying some of the sellers at the Torpedo show were on crack with their prices this copy sold for $1600.00 this year (2019) on Heritage. A little bit cheaper and nicer than a VG copy I’d say...:baiting:

6F5DA61B-60A3-4808-8557-06DB470AF879.thumb.jpeg.943f23508f93de37bde25f2e8d2d09ae.jpeg

Edited by N e r V

26 minutes ago, buttock said:

Seriously?!?

There seemed to be a lot of prices out of whack with the market at the Torpedo show based on what I was told. I was looking at a roughly $1500.00 or so Baker book that I heard the seller was asking something like 7 or 9k. Just crazy stuff. What’s interesting is that a number of the dealers were at SDCC days later with different prices. I was standing with a friend who was at both shows and a book he saw days earlier at $1800.00 was now magically $1200.00. Not sure what was going on with some dealers at that show. Not that there isn’t a fair amount of overpriced books at SDCC either but maybe some dealers are starting to overestimate value increases?

FYI too I didn’t mean to imply that some of the more legit dealers there were out of line with normal price increases. Just some of the prices I heard coming out of that show didn’t seem right. Probably Robot Man and others could speak better about what they saw. I actually wanted to try and attend that show until several people I know talked me out of it after this year. Also a couple dealers said they intentionally held back material for the SDCC too so not sure I need to attend it. Anyway off topic now but back to the pricing on the Wow comics #38.

I just don’t see how anyone could try selling a VGish book at $2500.00 when a CGC 9.0 is only fetching $1600.00 in the same time frame. Not sure if they are stupid, greedy, shady or all 3 to try pushing something like that.:frown:

11 hours ago, N e r V said:

And if you think I’m being mean or that I’m saying some of the sellers at the Torpedo show were on crack with their prices this copy sold for $1600.00 this year (2019) on Heritage. A little bit cheaper and nicer than a VG copy I’d say...:baiting:

6F5DA61B-60A3-4808-8557-06DB470AF879.thumb.jpeg.943f23508f93de37bde25f2e8d2d09ae.jpeg

Now, that is a lot closer to reality. I probably still wouldn't pop for that is there are so many other books out there I love a whole lot more than this one for the money. It is a great cover but this is probably my favorite and would pay that to upgrade this one.

comwow14.JPG

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Torpedo was a great show. I went home with a small stack. Less than last time. I was happy. I overpaid on some but many I dug out of boxes and got a bit of a deal on. I wouldn't say ALL the dealers were vastly overpriced but most were pretty aggressive. Especially on keys, classic covers and wall books. I got a LOT of severe sticker shock. Why?

1.) Maybe they think the LA crowd is rich, stupid or desperate. Many of us have stopped going to SDCC and it is well known so this IS our SDCC.

2.) The market seems to be in such extreme flux right now. Nobody, (including me) wants to part with killer or potentially killer books at the moment. Overpaying today seems like a steal a year from now in many cases. Nearly EVERY genre is being effected. This brings me to my next point.

3.) Dealers are having a very hard time getting new merchandise. Most have to buy from each other or auction houses at very thin margins. One dealer with a store told me stuff just isn't walking in any more. People are putting their stuff up on the bay and selling it themselves. This area is crawling with "flippers" who in many cases, don't know the market, are paying a lot and flipping them on the bay and Instagram with often disapointing results. There seem to be a lot of new, younger, dealers who seem to be up and coming. They deal in the good stuff. They probably have a lot to learn. It is a good thing for the hobby but what goes up fast, sometimes goes down fast too.

A lot of dealers left disapointed I suspect. Thusly, they realized they needed to lower their prices at SDCC. I made real fair offers to a couple smaller Torpedo dealers and they turned me down even when I showed them a handful of Benjamins. Both followed me up the isle and took my offer. Torpedo was a fun show but might be the beginning of a trend for comic shows. I hope not and I hope they all come back next year with realistic expectations.

After I left Torpedo I had to mark my stuff UP for SDCC.

Edited by MrBedrock

2 minutes ago, N e r V said:

D5AFEF1A-DDBB-442D-9B00-B29871F64D67.gif.1e4bf4de520dcafc5651b500796a4150.gif

BD6BB717-DEB7-447F-A64D-4AD4470E7A2D.gif.39a62bc5adde4ea2ebaa75c9ba7f059f.gif5257FAC9-226B-4B15-942B-C57AAA9B8322.gif.298d6136578e0f67d7ff92d1fccc1354.gif

Bedrock City. Your one stop shopping for overpriced, over graded books at SDCC...:devil:

(thumbsu

28 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Bedrock was one of the fair ones. I bought a nice stack of fairly graded and priced ECs. Now, I might have gotton a little better deal because I commented on how great the Astros were...:roflmao:

Suck up...:nyah:

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Bedrock was one of the fair ones. I bought a nice stack of fairly graded and priced ECs. Now, I might have gotton a little better deal because I commented on how great the Astros were...:roflmao:

................................................ hm  .......  :idea:

On 11/18/2019 at 4:36 PM, N e r V said:

From a boardie (thank you mighty midget(worship)).

My favorite Mary Marvel cover. Now I just need to get a copy of my second favorite Mary Marvel cover...hm

2DA50BD1-6BF3-46CA-9C53-38D3A28DC1F9.thumb.jpeg.76c1776ff372fa0be0952cac24d14c65.jpeg 

I can't stop thinking about how much I love this cover.Now that I've scored a Wonder Woman #21,this has taken the checked off spot on my have to have some day list.This and Strange Adventures #52 are two books I learned I like from you,merci!Oh,and the French JFK mags!