• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,423 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, szav said:

Yep...this one again, a new best copy for me of one of my favorite books, with off-white/white pages that you pretty much never ever see on high grade Harvey file/warehouse copies.  I'd be inclined to think this one got an easy/lazy grader if I hadn't had so many of my recent Harvey subs for pristine looking books come back 8.5 with light tan pages.  

FirstLoveIllustrated13cgc94oww.jpg

:applause:Congrats my friend! I know how much you love that issue. Every ounce of salacious as their classic Horror covers are gruesome. 

On 12/23/2019 at 8:27 PM, Robot Man said:

Wow, awsome book! Classic Joker cover. I love comic hunting in PA. Have found some killer books there like these in an antique store. Only 4 books the lady had. Told me they came from a farmhouse clean out. I about lost it when she told me how much they were...

commarvelmystery37.jpg

comspysmasher5.jpg

comwonderwoman2.jpg

commickeymouse1.jpg

I would be willing to take that last one off your hands Bob.  :baiting:

On 12/21/2019 at 7:05 PM, podboy66 said:

A recent arrival...

Hard to imagine that Zatara was cover draw but it was as 1939.

51CBF60B-5712-4A25-9C2F-DB509D322FFE.jpeg

Oh man, I love it!! Great grab! I was watching that one closely on CC, but had to preserve my resources for a different gem.

On 12/30/2019 at 3:41 PM, Electricmastro said:

Just discovered what comic books are said to have been on sale in May, 1938.

NlH78qN.png

When you compare Jerry Siegel's Superman in Action #1 with anything else here, it's striking how far ahead of his time he was. There are neat books here for sure, but fairly disposable stuff... nothing with the drama, the wit and the true cliffhanger ending of that first Superman story. I would've been back for issue #2 for sure!

1 hour ago, Point Five said:

When you compare Jerry Siegel's Superman in Action #1 with anything else here, it's striking how far ahead of his time he was. There are neat books here for sure, but fairly disposable stuff... nothing with the drama, the wit and the true cliffhanger ending of that first Superman story. I would've been back for issue #2 for sure!

Though comics don't have to have drama to be good, I will admit that by May, 1938, many of those comic books were definitely a reflection of the emphasis on humor the newspaper comics had, unless they were something like DickTracy, Mandrake the Magician, or the Phantom. Popeye was probably Superman's closest comparison in terms of being a superhuman who gained strength from an everyday source (who also wears blue, red, and yellow and had cartoons animated by Fleischer Studios). Also worth noting is that Dell Comics' The Comics #8 had a Buck Rogers-esque feature by Paul H. Jepsen called Rod Rian of the Sky Police, which stands out in a largely humor-focused issue.

23.jpg

Edited by Electricmastro