• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,443 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

This was a CGC crossover service book. Was a 1.8 in the other guys holder. I’m happy it came back blue the # doesn’t matter to me nearly as much heck it just fits more into my collection more now hahaha!! What a classic!! @sagii check it out bro!!

FB6132FA-2DB6-45ED-994F-9CEB4EADDD47.jpeg

Ginooooo! 

Congrats on the blue label and of course major props on that score,

With this year being the 75th anniversary of the close of WWII, I've always imagined if the Smithsonian asked me to compile a grouping of only 10 comic book covers to represent the most dynamic and artistic of comic book propaganda during WWII to be on display for all time in a hall, pulling from all publishers whether I own a copy or not, this would be in that 10. 

What a cover , and what a book to have in your collection  my friend (worship)

6 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Here's an EBay purchase from last week. Not only a new title for me but a new publisher. There was a great run of Shadows for sale and this one really caught my eye with the creepy cover. There is a printing defect where the staples tried to grab the cover; but not too distracting. Great interior too!

2029367862_tn_ShadowVol8No.2.jpg.f5826c26bd08c86147a5b0ec58857ad8.jpg

A way cool cover. I nabbed one of these last year and it was similarly an ebay impulse buy. :) Nice pickup!

18 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Here's an EBay purchase from last week. Not only a new title for me but a new publisher. There was a great run of Shadows for sale and this one really caught my eye with the creepy cover. There is a printing defect where the staples tried to grab the cover; but not too distracting. Great interior too!

2029367862_tn_ShadowVol8No.2.jpg.f5826c26bd08c86147a5b0ec58857ad8.jpg

The first Shadow story and cover illustration is a radio adaptation, lots of ads for the radio stories in this book.

Calling @Straw-Man for the Bayou reference!

596931342_tn_ShadowInt1.jpg.9d28230bbcc95c171b1ecdc87467b523.jpg

Then we have Doc Savage, not a great splash was hoping for more from the Man of Bronze.

1995594443_tn_ShadowInt2.jpg.e48c6d685af9cd27785dc2100d505273.jpg

Then yet another Shadow tale with another nice splash and unique logo.

1246107026_tn_ShadowInt3.jpg.291ebb51ddd6ca9c61cbf0826c2a5dba.jpg

Finally this whack a doodle strip which really looks like a Shuster lift.

377152542_tn_ShadowInt4.jpg.3d8ebd4b7ab14a79eebcb1ff03224fb5.jpg

I saw that. Congrats. Great book at a great price. He had many from the “sweet spot” in the run. Was going to go for a couple but forgot...

47 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I saw that. Congrats. Great book at a great price. He had many from the “sweet spot” in the run. Was going to go for a couple but forgot...

What’s do you consider the sweet spot Bob? This is my first in this series or Street and Smith for that matter.

And while I’m here @Yellow Kid did you find these interior shots above?

2 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

What’s do you consider the sweet spot Bob? This is my first in this series or Street and Smith for that matter.

And while I’m here @Yellow Kid did you find these interior shots above?

I found them, Frank, and the swamp scene sure reminded me of the 20 years I lived on the edge of the Honey Island Swamp in Slidell LA and could hear the big gators barking 50 yds. away as I went to sleep.  Swamps are very eerie.  Great cover!

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I really like the Powell covers in the volume 8 range. Lots of horror content inside as well. Adam had a good amount of them. I don’t have the one you got. Glad I forgot and didn’t run you up on it. 

I'll bring it by Terry's show so you can get a look see.

7 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I always like to read the indicia on old books. The Shadow book is a pretty clear one and I thought I would Google the address. The building is still there and looks nicely restored. I can certainly see this building being home of the Shadow magazine back in the thirties. Just add a Fedora and walk out that door.

tn_StreetandSmith122east42nd.jpg.c6b6273e4389768e460ad3d3580df783.jpg

Oh yep, I used to have a client there. That's a beautiful building.  (thumbsu