• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,378 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, RareHighGrade said:

Yes, but I believe the name is Ramona Patenaude.  Here's the prior issue for comparison.

Eagle3(Penn).jpg

The Field Guide makes mention of a Roland Patenaude whose work included Fox material. Is it that his credits were mixed up with Ramona‘s?

ZAdC5my.png

https://www.pulpartists.com/Patenaude.html

Edited by Electricmastro

On 9/27/2020 at 5:32 PM, RareHighGrade said:

Yes, but I believe the name is Ramona Patenaude.  Here's the prior issue for comparison.

Eagle3(Penn).jpg

On 9/27/2020 at 6:06 PM, Electricmastro said:

The Field Guide makes mention of a Roland Patenaude whose work included Fox material. Is it that his credits were mixed up with Ramona‘s?

ZAdC5my.png

https://www.pulpartists.com/Patenaude.html

On 9/27/2020 at 6:17 PM, RareHighGrade said:

You may be right.  I remember there being a discussion on these Boards about whether Patenaude was a man (Roland) or woman (Ramona).

On 9/28/2020 at 5:16 AM, Electricmastro said:

There’s also this cover. The signature is somewhat cut off at the bottom though:

b8FfVBU.jpg

these are some STUNNERS!!!!!! This is a question I have asked more times than I can count without ever getting a truly definitive answer. CGC lists both Ramona and Roland respectively on their labels at time but lists Ramona more often than Roland from what I have seen. Sometimes Pat is signed and CGC doesn't list anything at all. There is also information on the net about Ramona as well as Roland. Strange stuff I have seen the argument for both. Regardless of either most, "Pat" signed books are usually pretty tough books and usually pretty darn cool at least as far as I am concerned :)

7 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

these are some STUNNERS!!!!!! This is a question I have asked more times than I can count without ever getting a truly definitive answer. CGC lists both Ramona and Roland respectively on their labels at time but lists Ramona more often than Roland from what I have seen. Sometimes Pat is signed and CGC doesn't list anything at all. There is also information on the net about Ramona as well as Roland. Strange stuff I have seen the argument for both. Regardless of either most, "Pat" signed books are usually pretty tough books and usually pretty darn cool at least as far as I am concerned :)

I suppose it partially had to do with Jerry Bails’ Who’s Who listing Ramona as the artist’s real name. 1985’s Women and the Comics by Trina Robbins apparently reinforced the Ramona name as well. I think it’s also the same book in which Munson Paddock was mistaken as a woman under the name “Cecelia.”

6 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

OH Boy This is a tough book!!! Sooooo darn cool!! 

These Fox covers which don’t seem to have signatures are ones I think Roland Patenaude drew as well. I made this known to GCD, and there was agreement that the guess was educated enough. His recurring stylistic approach seems to be protagonists with small and smoothly rounded heads, distinctly shaded hair, dotted pupils with no irises, wide smiles showing teeth, pronounced chests with a few bumps drawn to convey the ribs, and capes hanging in the air. Antagonists are also drawn with bigger noses and sharper teeth, as well as there being spiky star-esque circles drawn to convey them getting punched.

QoZq74l.jpg

AnA8UUO.jpg

HUr8m82.jpg

8o7SBFu.jpg

dVTVp4M.jpg

Edited by Electricmastro

On 10/1/2020 at 5:28 AM, gino2paulus2 said:

I just so happen to own all 5 of those wonderful books!!:) A Roland Patenaude enthusiast no doubt!! Nailed it with that description for sure!! The 2nd and last issue of V-Comics is very pronounced in the common themes of his work and is also a signed Pat book in the bottom right just not listed with CGC as his work 

843B3BC2-3936-4821-BBFE-2A6D62C9577F.jpeg

Nice! And speaking of Fox, I also see Ribtickler #1 as a sort of lesser-known highlight if only for the interior art. Makes me want to know the actual artists more.

Fx5sYLF.jpg

h5bBO3X.jpg

QLTtR7o.jpg

vIpHwht.jpg

wXbs7bX.jpg