• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,381 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Albert Thurgood said:

I think this is a stunning cover image, and shows that less can definitely achieve more. EC took this title out with a bang! I had to hunt around to get this one in as high a quality as possible.

image_2021-03-21_125002.png.ef2e2b9c3b1cfb9566029730b7c98dc7.png

It was a really brave concept from Krigstein.  This doesn't work without the right colorist.  Fortunately he had Marie Severin.  

I always thought it would be cool to own this, but when I see them they seem to be outrageously overpriced.  Found these two at a pretty good price.

I like how it says "Superman carries the boat (or plane) when his hand is placed in the slit in the bottom."

Um..... Superman and the boat (or plane) are not proportionate with each other.

Weird. 

These pages turned out to be larger than I thought they would be.  I had a thought to send them in for slabbing.

IMG_4575.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Edited by gadzukes

On 3/21/2021 at 10:44 AM, buttock said:

It was a really brave concept from Krigstein.  This doesn't work without the right colorist.  Fortunately he had Marie Severin.  

Yes, the coloring in the waves is really handled well.  Interesting cover.  And nice high grade, congrats Albert

19 hours ago, Komic Kazi International said:

On way just picked up this Amazing Diamond!

Three Ring Comics
Pep Comics #22
1st Appearance of Archie
Published by Superior Publishing, Canada 1946 for distribution to the UK.

BRAZIL - CARTOON ART 2021 003.JPG

Fantastic. Beautiful copy! :applause: 

On 3/25/2021 at 12:47 PM, Komic Kazi International said:

On way just picked up this Amazing Diamond!

Three Ring Comics
Pep Comics #22
1st Appearance of Archie
Published by Superior Publishing, Canada 1946 for distribution to the UK.

BRAZIL - CARTOON ART 2021 003.JPG

That is so surreal seeing that rendition of the cover. Was that kind of cover adjustment common for Canadian/UK distribution during the war years? I guess I never thought about what other countries would do with US-based war propaganda comics. (Asking this realizing that the war would have been over by the time this got around.)