• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,378 posts in this topic

and i'm so hot-to-trot on my fox run right now, i had to figure out something to collect that wouldn't include runs of those bad covers for a long while beginning 8/40. So I decided that i would get the #1 s/h issues on top of the run thru 7/40. big 3, samson, the eagle, u.s. jones and such--already have the rex dexter, so have a bit of a jump on it. not a great cover here, but a #1 issue from 1940; here's the first acq.

big3.jpg

Fed Ex just dropped it off!

4821248754_3142809781_b.jpg

Great book - I saw a very solid mid-grade Archie 3 trade hands at SDCC, the book was such an attention grabber. :headbang:

Interesting book. hm

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? hm

Archie 3 is a great book! The one I have right now is a great mid-grade copy. The one I had before was a 1.8...ergo not so great. lol

:headbang:

Fed Ex just dropped it off!

4821248754_3142809781_b.jpg

Great book - I saw a very solid mid-grade Archie 3 trade hands at SDCC, the book was such an attention grabber. :headbang:

Interesting book. hm

Squidimy the woim ???lol

That's "Squoimy the Woim". (Hint: say it with a Brooklyn accent.)

WTH kind of character is that?

:roflmao:

:acclaim:

:insane:

long-chased, i presume? congrats on the grab, sir.

Good intuition. More on that later tonight in the Group Shot thread ;)

can't wait. and thanks for the reminder; have me some group shot work to do myself.

and i'm so hot-to-trot on my fox run right now, i had to figure out something to collect that wouldn't include runs of those bad covers for a long while beginning 8/40. So I decided that i would get the #1 s/h issues on top of the run thru 7/40. big 3, samson, the eagle, u.s. jones and such--already have the rex dexter, so have a bit of a jump on it. not a great cover here, but a #1 issue from 1940; here's the first acq.

big3.jpg

So Samson is wearing a furry marble bag [presumably to keep him warm] but nothing else? hm Looks like the Flame caught of whiff of his pits and is starting to lean away.

I went to San Diego with eight books on my want list and left still needing six.

Interestingly, both purchases came from Terry, the closest of any of the dealers to my home.

Gunsmoke Western 32

Gunsmoke-Western-32.jpg

Mary Marvel 21

This book I swore I would never buy from Terry. Not because I have any problems with Terry, but my dad can be an . My dad had a complete run of Mary Marvel and I needed only this issue. He told me he was selling his books to Terry, so I asked him to sell the #21 to me. He said OK, but then sold it with the others to Terry. (Can I put my dad on the probation list?)

So I knew Terry had this book, but had not bothered looking for it. Right after getting my sketch from Neal Adams my head was clearly not where it should be. I picked up the Gunsmoke Western but left my iPod sitting at Terry's booth. Luckily the good men working the booth spotted in and held on to it for me until I realized what I had done. I told them if they had any book on my wantlist I would buy it. Blammo, I pay full asking price for the darned book I swore to never buy!

Mary-Marvel-21.jpg

I went to San Diego with eight books on my want list and left still needing six.

Interestingly, both purchases came from Terry, the closest of any of the dealers to my home.

Mary Marvel 21

This book I swore I would never buy from Terry. Not because I have any problems with Terry, but my dad can be an . My dad had a complete run of Mary Marvel and I needed only this issue. He told me he was selling his books to Terry, so I asked him to sell the #21 to me. He said OK, but then sold it with the others to Terry. (Can I put my dad on the probation list?)

So I knew Terry had this book, but had not bothered looking for it. Right after getting my sketch from Neal Adams my head was clearly not where it should be. I picked up the Gunsmoke Western but left my iPod sitting at Terry's booth. Luckily the good men working the booth spotted in and held on to it for me until I realized what I had done. I told them if they had any book on my wantlist I would buy it. Blammo, I pay full asking price for the darned book I swore to never buy!

some story, and some book! I often wish my dad had collected comics, but he'da probably done something similar (:

Hopefully I'll have no problems receiving this one in the mail. Won on ebay a couple days, but found out after the seller lied and said he had owned it raw for 12 years and sent it in himself for grading. I found out this copy sold on Heritage in '04 already graded.

He did however send me a picture of the book lying on top of yesterdays newspaper. (shrug)

Punch20cgc7_5ebay.jpg

Hopefully I'll have no problems receiving this one in the mail. Won on ebay a couple days, but found out after the seller lied and said he had owned it raw for 12 years and sent it in himself for grading. I found out this copy sold on Heritage in '04 already graded.

He did however send me a picture of the book lying on top of yesterdays newspaper. (shrug)

:wishluck:

Punch20cgc7_5ebay.jpg

interesting "twist" (get it lol )

keep us posted

Punch20cgc7_5ebay.jpg

i was going to go after it hard for an upgrade, when i caught the fib. decided not to play. good luck to you, but you'll have ebay buyer protection in any case, i guess.

Punch20cgc7_5ebay.jpg

i was going to go after it hard for an upgrade, when i caught the fib. decided not to play. good luck to you, but you'll have ebay buyer protection in any case, i guess.

I called ebay to clarify about buyer protection and they said I would be fully covered. So I'll probably go ahead with payment. I guess his "fib" somewhat hurt his final price as I thought it was quite a deal. Glad I didn't have you to contend with in the auction. Here's the pic I asked for to make sure that he did indeed have the book in his possession.

DatedP20.jpg