• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,423 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Church copy of Sunny 13- My first raw Mile High :cloud9: and it is a Feldstein classic!! It is not one of those 9.4 Church copies but I will take it. 

Pretty freaking excited! :banana: I don't get that butterflies feeling too often anymore but this one did it. (No, it will not be in a sales thread (tsk)) Part of a trade with a fellow boardie. 

IMG_6181.JPG

IMG_6184.JPG

Nothing like a naked Church book. I have quite a few I bought direct from Chuckie a million years ago raw. Just can't bring myself to slab them. Does yours have "the smell"? Hang on to that one...

16 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Nothing like a naked Church book. I have quite a few I bought direct from Chuckie a million years ago raw. Just can't bring myself to slab them. Does yours have "the smell"? Hang on to that one...

First time I smelled one but kind of like pine or something. Definitely a different smell. 

Bunch of nice covers.  Don't often see copies of Crown 9. 

Edited to add:  This comment was in reference to Entalmighty1's post.

Edited by Sqeggs

2 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Church copy of Sunny 13- My first raw Mile High :cloud9: and it is a Feldstein classic!! It is not one of those 9.4 Church copies but I will take it. 

Pretty freaking excited! :banana: I don't get that butterflies feeling too often anymore but this one did it. (No, it will not be in a sales thread (tsk)) Part of a trade with a fellow boardie. 

IMG_6181.JPG

IMG_6184.JPG

Great book.  Doesn't seem to be on Chuck's list (none of the four issues of Sunny are). 

1 minute ago, Ricksneatstuff said:
3 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Great book.  Doesn't seem to be on Chuck's list (none of the four issues of Sunny are). 

It was sold in HA as Church copy in 2006. 

Ah, ok, a John McLaughlin book.  I know he scooped up some romance/teen humor books (among others) prior to Chuck doing the catalog.

Might be worth bringing the HA listing to the attention of the CGC graders if you ever send it in.

4 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Ah, ok, a John McLaughlin book.  I know he scooped up some romance/teen humor books (among others) prior to Chuck doing the catalog.

Might be worth bringing the HA listing to the attention of the CGC graders if you ever send it in.

I see it is a different book than the HA listing. I traded with a reputable source. We will see.  

9 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I see it is a different book than the HA listing. I traded with a reputable source. We will see.  

9 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I read on a blog once (while researching my Vic Torry, sold to me as a Church by a Midwest dealer who has been around a long time) that Edgar had some doubles in his collection, though not many. I would not rule it out just because it's not 9.4-ish without coding nomenclature in the upper left, especially a post-1950 book. But there's others here who can offer way more insight; I'm just peeking into the rabbit hole like you, Rick, just maybe a month or so earlier, so I did some poking.

I guess that Sunny is late 40's, but I think it's still something to be open to. (shrug)

Edited by Readcomix

28 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Yeah, he was one of the original "big dollar" buyers. Instead of buying the keys though, he bought as much of the cheap stuff as Chuck would sell him. I think Chuck had a cap of 10K a year in sales for tax reasons. He would call people on a list and John was one of them. John also advertised locally that he would pay double guide for Church books. A lot of them came his way that way. I remember going over to his place with a guy that was a good friend of his. There were 5 or 6 four foot piles of un-bagged Church books on his living room floor. Some had the sad fate of having one of his many cats whizzing on them...

21 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

I read on a blog once (while researching my Vic Torry, sold to me as a Church by a Midwest dealer who has been around a long time) that Edgar had some doubles in his collection, though not many. I would not rule it out just because it's not 9.4-ish without coding nomenclature in the upper left, especially a post-1950 book. But there's others here who can offer way more insight; I'm just peeking into the rabbit hole like you, Rick, just maybe a month or so earlier, so I did some poking.

I guess that Sunny is late 40's, but I think it's still something to be open to. (shrug)

I have a later Jumbo #155 I think that I bought directly from Check that was used in a censhorship book. Parade of Pleasure I think. It is ungraded and I noticed that there is another copy in the cencus. So Edgar for sure had more than one copy of some of them.

2 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Somebody needs to send me a stack of raw Church books with "the smell" so I can compare. :baiting:

Some people say pine, some people say cedar or even moth balls. I've had mine so long that I think most of the smell is gone. Although Adam Strange was over about a year ago and he said he could smell them. 

3 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

IMG_6181.JPG

IMG_6184.JPG

Holy Rick that is outstanding.  Paper is pristine.  Put that one with the other Sunny's and now we're talking!  Great comments above make for a fun read.  If you ever need to raise cash for your Grail please put me on the short list.

35 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I have a later Jumbo #155 I think that I bought directly from Check that was used in a censhorship book. Parade of Pleasure I think. It is ungraded and I noticed that there is another copy in the cencus. So Edgar for sure had more than one copy of some of them.

Unfortunately, there also some misattributions -- books slabbed as Church books that actually aren't.  Iirc correctly, there are two copies of Terrific 44 slabbed as Church copies, but the attribution is incorrect for one of them.