• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,417 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Well, I have received word from another decidedly expert source that this is not a Church copy. I am sure the person who traded me this did not know but was given misinformation from the person they got it from. 

Still... :frown:

Bummer.  Still a nice copy of a tough book, though. 

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Yeah, for sure. Should still end up the highest graded copy. :foryou:

I think my Corliss Archer #1 is a Church. I bought it from Chuckie in the late 1970's. No markings or "smell" I can detect. So long ago I can't prove it. But if it were graded it would probably be the highest too. Love these Feldstein Foxes!

1 minute ago, ThothAmon said:
4 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Don't besmirch Church! :baiting:

Shhhh.  Please don't tell Rick, but I'm just trying to make him feel better.  Church is a patron saint of comic book collectors.

Ah, I get it.

Hey Rick:  Those Church books are waaaay overrated.  They have a weird smell and the pages are so white you have to wear sunglasses to read them. Who wants to bother with that? I only buy the darn things when they're offered at a steep discount. :) 

18 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Some people say pine, some people say cedar or even moth balls. I've had mine so long that I think most of the smell is gone. Although Adam Strange was over about a year ago and he said he could smell them. 

I've never run across a Church that has moth ball odor, those were the Hawkeye books. Cedar or pine is an apt way to describe a Church book.

I've had some of my church books for a long time, and I'm very sensitive to their smell. The way I store my raw books, with microchamber paper and absorbing sheets, I've noticed that the distinctive Church smell has - in some cases - greatly dissipated over time. 

Tracing the provenance of a book through previous owners is always recommended.

2 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Shhhh.  Please don't tell Rick, but I'm just trying to make him feel better.  Church is a patron saint of comic book collectors.

Thanks for your efforts, John. The book is just as nice as it was last night. It is like driving a Toyota Avalon instead of a Lexus ES. Same car- different label. 

10 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I was wondering when this beauty was going to make it's debut. WAY more rare than the US version I suspect. Great grab Jimmers!

Thanks all!I really love it.

Robot,I actually premiered it in Son of..scary pic!

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

Oh, that thread? I hardly ever look at it. No high grade men in tights comics. Just that junky "other stuff"

and I put up another pic for you as well.

I'm going to have to start my own... :sorry:lol