• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,380 posts in this topic

On 1/9/2019 at 6:02 PM, sagii said:

Double posting this one: My favorite Robot cover (tied with Fantastic Comics 3 -a book i don't and probably won't ever own).

For all the cool things the Fantastic Comics 3 Robot Cover is in it's detailed genius, this one is a masterwork for it's simplicity.

Looks like a vintage French Advertising poster. :luhv:

Amazing Mystery Funnies v2 #11.jpg

On 1/14/2019 at 2:25 PM, Sqeggs said:

Beauty!  Frank Thomas should get more love.  I first found out about him many years ago when reading a fanzine article on his work on the Owl in Crackajack Funnies. 

That’s a great book!! Hadn’t ever come across it before.

I agree with that Sqeggs guy: Frank Thomas (1914-1968) did a lot of fantastic covers, but doesn’t get much recognition these days. This blurb is from Lambiek:

Franklyn Thomas illustrated the syndicated 'All-American Football' strip in 1938, before working as a comic book artist in the 1940s. He did features for both Centaur ('Chuck Hardy', 'Dr. Hypno', 'The Eye Sees', 'Solarman') and Dell ('Billy and Bonnie Bee', 'Buddies' and scripts for 'Little Scouts', Marjorie Henderson Buell's 'Little Lulu' and Walter Lantz' 'Andy Panda' and 'Woody Woodpecker'.). Also in the 1940s, he made the 'Dinky Doyle' daily. In the following decade, he did the 'Going West' strip (1951-54), as well as 'Hossface Hank' (Al Smith Service, 1955-64). Between 1955 and 1965 he was ghost artist on Mik's 'Ferd'nand' strip.

8BFF3CE1-CFFF-4609-BD60-9022EBCB79E3.jpeg.365360261387fb1f958a6c59e9dc869e.jpeg