• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,380 posts in this topic

Got a nice box of Fun yesterday from a buddy of mine, who is also a stalwart member of the GA boards.

Thanks again brother for a great batch of books!

:):cloud9:

morefunrun.jpg

:whatthe:

Congratulations, Bill! :applause:

I still think the guy on the MF 68 cover needs a white lab coat.

3837097505_99c2a1836d_z.jpg

Got a nice box of Fun yesterday from a buddy of mine, who is also a stalwart member of the GA boards.

morefunrun.jpg

Huh...................WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

morefunrun.jpg

Good grief! Have a box of cigars!

morefunrun.jpg

Huh...................WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

All of those in one shot??? (worship)

Thanks!

Does anyone know if the cover story "My Cargo Was Death" was inspired by the film The Wages of Fear? I've never read the story or seen the film ( doh! ) but the cover looks similar to what I know of the film story: some poor schlubs are hired to drive some trucks loaded with nitro over a dangerous road in South America.

According to Wikipedia , the film was released in France in 1953, but wasn't released in the US until Feb 1955. Since My Greatest Adventure #1 is dated Jan-Feb 1955, it was probably written and drawn in the summer of '54 and on the newsstand in Oct or Nov of that year. I guess it's possible the writer had seen the film in France, or maybe at an art-house showing in NY, but that's unlikely. GCD has no info on who wrote the story.

Anyone know anything about this? (shrug)

I don't know anything about what the writer's knew but the story is close enough that I would suspect it was inspired by the film. In the comic a solo driver must transport the nitro through the South American jungle to help cap a burning well. Along the way he must navigate the the rough roads and face down attacks from the heavies hired by the local strong man.

There's no indication of who the writer is but I believe that DC writers like John Broome and Robert Kanigher traveled to Paris. So it's not unreasonable to think that the writer could have seen the movie at a NYC art house cinema or traveled and figured it was safe to reuse the plot given the obscurity of the original.

Well, it's not that obscure. It is still a well-regarded French movie to this day and probably got quite a bit of publicity when it came out in France. The main actor is Yves Montand in his first starring role, Montand who is better known as a crooner. To give you an equivalent, this would be akin to Frank Sinatra's first starring role in a movie. This was certainly a big event, esp. when you pair him with Clouzot who was given the opportunity to direct after being known for being one of the best "dialoguist" (yes, France at the time had writers just in charge of the speech and not the story during the writing stage) in the business so it would have made a splash in France at the time.

Just got in from the last Heritage auction.

AirFightersV20894.jpg

What does that green guy look like without the airplane over his nose?

i don't know, but hard to believe it could be worse than having a turd for a bottom lip.

Well, it's not that obscure. It is still a well-regarded French movie to this day and probably got quite a bit of publicity when it came out in France. The main actor is Yves Montand in his first starring role, Montand who is better known as a crooner. To give you an equivalent, this would be akin to Frank Sinatra's first starring role in a movie. This was certainly a big event, esp. when you pair him with Clouzot who was given the opportunity to direct after being known for being one of the best "dialoguist" (yes, France at the time had writers just in charge of the speech and not the story during the writing stage) in the business so it would have made a splash in France at the time.

remade as 'sorcerer,' a roy schieder flick not long after jaws. might have been friedkin's first effort after the exorcist, but i'm not sure. pretty suspenseful, as i recall, but a LONG time since i saw it.

My remark about "obscure" was in comparison to US movies of the day and in no way was meant to imply anything about its quality or importance in France back in the day. It's a favorite of one of the friends of mine on the Boards so I have seen it and recognize it's quality. I still have Clouzot's Quai des Orfèvres in my DVD collection that I have not yet seen.

:gossip: Clouzot had already made a name for himself as a director of Le Corbeau long before Wages of Fear.

Oopps, I (too) quickly checked before posting and thought he had only done the adaptation for Le Corbeau and not directed it.

I must have seen Quai des Orfèvres before but cannot remember much of it. These are the kind of movies I would not contemplate watching in their non-native language.