• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,419 posts in this topic

On 2/25/2018 at 8:34 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

She likes the ducks and Peanuts. She is ok with Spidey too.  That’s about all I collect that she gives the nod to.  

My wife is cool but she just usually smiles, nods her head with a blank look and says, "Nice one dear"...

5 hours ago, Point Five said:
13 hours ago, Duffman_Comics said:

This has been bugging me for a few days, so here goes:

Is there a chance this cover has been censored for production? I am looking at the native by Bullseye's head that seems to be whispering "sweet nothings". Yet the (native's) right hand, whilst a little menacing as-is, looks like it should have a knife. The other (standing) guy also has a "mystery hand", but not as pronounced.

The timing for bowdlerised art is about right - very early in the Comics' Code's introduction and I'd guess publishers and the Code were feeling their way.

Unless I've missed the point entirely, and the "unarmed" native is "the Prophet" and is  in fact giving our hero secret instructions as to how to avoid "The Scalptaker". lol

Oh, and a lovely book. Westerns are so under-rated.

Great thinking! I agree 100%. Most likely they had the cover art already prepped to go, but by then the rules had changed.

I never noticed it, but I also agree that the art appears to have been censored.  Either that or the natives temporarily interrupted a dice game to take care of Bulls Eye. :)

Years ago I had a stack of coverless Westerns from the 1950s.  I never bothered to figure out whether they were early Code or later reprints, but they had clearly been heavily censored with much violence crudely whited out.  Dialog balloons were frequently only half filled because, presumably, threatening or particularly violent language had been cut. 

52 minutes ago, comicjack said:

Amazing Man 8 is looking good :headbang:

Indeed it does and looks as if it would press even higher, as they say. 

I love Tec 187.  Tough in high grade, as they also say! :)

20 hours ago, comicjack said:
20 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Indeed it does and looks as if it would press even higher, as they say. 

I love Tec 187.  Tough in high grade, as they also say! :)

Pants and shirts are for pressing not books (tsk)

Well, if you have enough really stiff pants and you pile them on top of a book ...

On 2/24/2018 at 6:56 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

A Feldstein Page has been on my list for a while.  Glad to pick this one up. 

E9B37060-B25D-492A-867B-1B2BC5B20AB6.jpeg

That’s a really sweet pick up! I’m guessing there’s not much Feldstein OA out there...

Do you have the comic book to match?

Is this a Nova Scotia Pedigree?

I've been looking at others and the "M" matches but none seem to have a date stamp. Came across another dozen that also have the red date stamp from 1943-1944.

Pretty cool to handle (carefully) raw.  Like a time machine it's so new.

img003.jpg.0f1dd06ddd53a724047531a96c2bea90.jpgimg004.jpg.b3e876fc674ab437f95da330c2257805.jpg

On 3/1/2018 at 12:44 PM, Mijael.Levy said:

and i just got.. one of the grails for any foreign collectors a 100% mexican goldenage book

A 1953 Cuentos de Abuelito  featuring Queen of the Black Coast, whats so special about it ? Conan appears on it ..

4ryTABAh.jpg

AuS3yECh.jpg

That's pretty sweet.  I didn't know these were so small though.  Are all the rest like that?

10 hours ago, ft88 said:

That's pretty sweet.  I didn't know these were so small though.  Are all the rest like that?

The Conan appearances in the Golden age are like this; small format, but the size changes to normal in the silver age under the "La Reina de la Costa Negra " title