• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,417 posts in this topic

On 7/3/2019 at 11:22 PM, szav said:

Man I love these boards and the people that post here.  Thanks to @Readcomix for posting this in the gold connections thread. I liked it so much I went out and hunted a copy down...You couldn't make a comic like this nowadays without people marching in protest at the publishers office.  Kid with a gun!  That it's Kinstler and a bondage cover just makes it that much better.  Love that these cops let the 12 year old with a gun lead the charge through the door too...

Boy Detective 4.jpg

Love that cover. Can't recall having seen it before. I also don't think I've ever seen a bad Kinstler cover. 

I probably shouldn't mention this since I'm still trying to accumulate his work, but his covers are often surprisingly cheap given their relative scarcity in high grade.

On 7/4/2019 at 6:31 PM, gino2paulus2 said:

Mail call!! An Appropriate book to open up on the 4th of July!! Obscure little Blue Beetle book only 5 on the census. 

🇺🇸olllllllo🇺🇸 Living that Jeep Life!!

Still got em both after 10 years and still in love with em!! The car and the lovely lady 😍

01A1988C-606A-4923-BF89-46C88C276A40.jpeg

94759855-F2C5-4D70-B6D6-D2A556B59D5E.jpeg

You are definitely firing on all cylinders! (worship)

16 hours ago, walclark said:

"Great, the cops are here.  We've got a nasty hostage situation, so let's send the kid in first.  Hey, Fred, give him your gun."

Same reason I bought this one.  Dan Tayler is riding his bike with no hands, facing a machine gun, blazing away with two guns, and is still outpacing the cops on motorcycles!  Awesome!

1320582230_boydetective1001.thumb.jpg.723c1dd69d89d9b4262112b982ffa1b8.jpg

His Mom: "Dan! That's your birthday bike! If you crash this one don't expect us to buy you another one. Well, at least you remembered to wear your sweater."

13 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Love that cover. Can't recall having seen it before. I also don't think I've ever seen a bad Kinstler cover. 

I probably shouldn't mention this since I'm still trying to accumulate his work, but his covers are often surprisingly cheap given their relative scarcity in high grade.

Here's issue one for your viewing pleasure.

boy detective1.jpg

2 hours ago, sagii said:

..One of the hardest (if not the hardest) to locate from the run, and St. John offerings in general. Took years to find this copy and i have not seen another since i acquired this one. Really cool GGA cover 

Abbott and Costello #27.jpg

Great find. I've noticed that issues in that run tend to go for way over guide at auction. 

Bud Abbott story I read a few years ago:  Later in life after he had run through all his dough he gave an interview with a newspaper. He urged his fans to each mail him a dime. He was quoted as saying something like, "I know there's millions of you out there. Is one dime too much to ask?" Crowdfunding 1950s style!

8 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Love these Shadow covers. This one was bought from a major dealer as an 8.0 C-OW.

2019-07-08-0001.jpg

Don't own any, but can't think of a 'dog' in the run. Great run of covers on this S&S series 

2 minutes ago, sagii said:

Don't own any, but can't think of a 'dog' in the run. Great run of covers on this S&S series 

I think S&S covers are pretty strong across the board. The only ones I'm not crazy about are the ones with a comedy insert in one corner.