• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,380 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, walclark said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this cover and Green Hornet #19 are the only two that reference the Japanese-American internment camps.  At any rate, I'm happy to have this one in my collection (even if the case is badly scuffed).  By the way, I can recommend George Takei's graphic novel, "They Called Us Enemy," for a personal look at the internment camps through the eyes of a child.

681741022_captainmidnight23001.thumb.jpg.f337fd6d01f4335d8f4773735dfe0c3d.jpg

My Uncle Bob Kono was also interned and it had a significant and lasting impact on him throughout his life.  He’s still with us 💕.  Google him if you want to see his story.   He is also a published author.     Love this book. Hadn’t had it on my radar.

8 minutes ago, Comicdey said:

My Uncle Bob Kono was also interned and it had a significant and lasting impact on him throughout his life.  He’s still with us 💕.  Google him if you want to see his story.   He is also a published author.     Love this book. Hadn’t had it on my radar.

I was thinking about the internment camps this morning as I read this story on NPR's website.

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/04/766755755/before-he-animated-for-disney-he-sketched-cartoons-in-an-internment-camp

On 10/4/2019 at 1:07 PM, walclark said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this cover and Green Hornet #19 are the only two that reference the Japanese-American internment camps.  At any rate, I'm happy to have this one in my collection (even if the case is badly scuffed).  By the way, I can recommend George Takei's graphic novel, "They Called Us Enemy," for a personal look at the internment camps through the eyes of a child.

681741022_captainmidnight23001.thumb.jpg.f337fd6d01f4335d8f4773735dfe0c3d.jpg

I don't believe either of those books reference the internment camps.  By 1944, there were a number of both Japanese and German prisoner of war camps in the U.S.  In both the Captain Midnight and the Green Hornet books, the Japanese in the stories wear blue jumpsuits with PW(prisoner of war) written on the back. 

As I'm sure you're aware, there was an internment camp at Tule Lake, but it was called the "Tule Lake Relocation Center".  The "Tule Lake Camp" referenced on the road sign on the Green Hornet cover was 10 miles away from the internment camp.  It was a maximum security facility that, among other uses, did house prisoners of war.