• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a comic room??? Showcase it here!
49 49

10,288 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right thread -- if not, any advice on where to post would be greatly appreciated.

I have recently gone through the process of slabbing large parts of my collection ... the result is that I now have about 1,000 CGC books, a number that will eventually double as the rest of the books come back and as I continue to buy more books.  So, I have a storage problem.

My best idea for a solution at the moment is to use a pair of closets in my comic-book man cave, which is basically a finished portion of my attic.  These closets are currently being used for all my raw books, using a combination of custom wooden shelving and "drawerboxes," and would need to be converted to hold CGC books.  These closets don't have a lot of height -- they are essentially tucked under the roof of the attic space, with a ceiling that quickly slopes down so that there is more depth to work with the lower you go.  A custom solution will be required if I want to maximize the storage capacity of these closets.

I'm thinking about asking a cabinetmaker / custom closets expert to help me design a custom solution ...  what I'm imagining at the moment is a set of "drawers," each the width of one book and the full height of the closet so I don't have to worry about pulling out a long heavy drawer above floor level that can't support its own weight.  I have a good friend who's a really talented interior designer, ready to help me out, but she isn't a comic book person and she's never done a project quite like this before.

So ... my question for the group is, can anyone recommend someone we can speak to who either has the skills and experience to actually build what I'm looking for, or has commissioned a project like this and can give me ideas and advice on what the design might be and who might be able to do the job?

Sparing you all photos for now, but happy to provide those to anyone with a genuine interest in helping me on my little quest.

Thanks!

-- Lou

15 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right thread -- if not, any advice on where to post would be greatly appreciated.

I have recently gone through the process of slabbing large parts of my collection ... the result is that I now have about 1,000 CGC books, a number that will eventually double as the rest of the books come back and as I continue to buy more books.  So, I have a storage problem.

My best idea for a solution at the moment is to use a pair of closets in my comic-book man cave, which is basically a finished portion of my attic.  These closets are currently being used for all my raw books, using a combination of custom wooden shelving and "drawerboxes," and would need to be converted to hold CGC books.  These closets don't have a lot of height -- they are essentially tucked under the roof of the attic space, with a ceiling that quickly slopes down so that there is more depth to work with the lower you go.  A custom solution will be required if I want to maximize the storage capacity of these closets.

I'm thinking about asking a cabinetmaker / custom closets expert to help me design a custom solution ...  what I'm imagining at the moment is a set of "drawers," each the width of one book and the full height of the closet so I don't have to worry about pulling out a long heavy drawer above floor level that can't support its own weight.  I have a good friend who's a really talented interior designer, ready to help me out, but she isn't a comic book person and she's never done a project quite like this before.

So ... my question for the group is, can anyone recommend someone we can speak to who either has the skills and experience to actually build what I'm looking for, or has commissioned a project like this and can give me ideas and advice on what the design might be and who might be able to do the job?

Sparing you all photos for now, but happy to provide those to anyone with a genuine interest in helping me on my little quest.

Thanks!

-- Lou

Your best bet is to contact a local cabinet maker, explain the situation and have them come out to look at your space. It doesn't really matter that you're going to be using the cabinets for comic book storage - cabinets are cabinets - and the pros are used to dealing with odd & specific storage requirements.

Good luck - this is not going to be a cheap project!

5 hours ago, mschmidt said:

Your best bet is to contact a local cabinet maker, explain the situation and have them come out to look at your space. It doesn't really matter that you're going to be using the cabinets for comic book storage - cabinets are cabinets - and the pros are used to dealing with odd & specific storage requirements.

Good luck - this is not going to be a cheap project!

Thank you -- that does seem to be the direction this is going, and you're right it will probably cost a bundle.

4 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Thank you -- that does seem to be the direction this is going, and you're right it will probably cost a bundle.

The cabinetry may cost a lot, but nothing like the outlay to slab 2,000 comics that you are (obviously) not going to sell.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, Duffman_Comics said:

The cabinetry may cost a lot, but nothing like the outlay to slab 2,000 comics that you are (obviously) not going to sell.

Good luck.

One of these days I may write up the story of what I've done this past year -- it's been a fun ride.

Short version:  Guy wakes up after having not bought any comics since about 2011, decides it's time to treat his large (99.9% raw) collection like an investment that can be part of his family's long-term planning.  He sends in about 1,000 Silver Age and Bronze Age Marvels to get certified -- hoping the general range will be 8.5 to 9.4, but the reality is there are more 7.5s, 8.0s, and 8.5s than he thought (plus some surprise 9.6s and 9.8s, to be fair).  Oh, and about 10 books that come back with purple labels including Avengers #2, Cap #100, Iron Man #55, Silver Surfer #4, and Tales of Suspense #52.  After a deep breath, he sets off on a quest to upgrade most of that collection to create high-grade runs of the major Marvel titles (for most of these titles, basically from the start up to the 20-cent picture frame era).  Makes a lot of progress in the first nine months, including grabbing over a half-dozen legit "holy grails."  Ends up having a ton of fun but now has a storage problem.  :smile:

And the quest is just getting warmed up!

On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 8:03 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

-- Lou

Check out http://www.handsomeboydesigns.com/about/  They make "ComicTombs" and do custom orders. Also I worked with them on my tombs that were damaged in shipping and they arranged for everything pick, repair, delivery - very good product and service. Recently sold my whole collection so now need to start rebuilding from scratch later this year and will be filling mine up again. 

DSCN1516.JPG

2 hours ago, ComicDoc said:

Check out http://www.handsomeboydesigns.com/about/  They make "ComicTombs" and do custom orders. Also I worked with them on my tombs that were damaged in shipping and they arranged for everything pick, repair, delivery - very good product and service. Recently sold my whole collection so now need to start rebuilding from scratch later this year and will be filling mine up again. 

DSCN1516.JPG

This is extremely helpful.  Thank you!!

While I would not say that I have a SPECIFIC comic room,  I do have them all over.  I have  walk in closet  filled with as many drawer boxes  full of my main DC collection as would reasonably fit.,  I will count later . but must be well over 30  shorter long boxes.

I also have two specially  designed  Comic closets  with installed shelves.  Once I got the shorter drawer boxes  I was actually able to work with most all of the books in those boxes  instead of the longer standard long boxes  which had to be stored deep  and made access very hard.  each closet has between 20 to 40 drawerboxes  worth of comics.

I got the idea from the boards about using the inexpensive IKEA frames   to display comics  and have run with that idea.  I now have about 100 books on display  on various walls in my office  and house

Some people would say that I have too many comics

20180127_144947.jpg

20180127_145035.jpg

20180127_145136.jpg

20180127_145210.jpg

20180127_145007.jpg

20180127_145118.jpg

20180127_145024.jpg

Edited by jmg3637
Adding images from phonr

On 1/8/2018 at 7:03 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

-- Lou

If you still need info, I used to be a custom cabinetmaker, I can give you advice on products/quality construction.

On 1/27/2018 at 3:52 PM, Mean_Green said:

Recently moved and finally got some shelves up.

9FB16541-B7A6-46C6-AAF9-E092909C4D1D.jpeg

Just recently got a raw #340 so I'm loving those. I'm curious where you got the shelves?  I was thinking of making something custom, but when I saw several people using those super affordable black picture shelves from Ikea I thought maybe I'll just do that instead, but I'm wondering where you got those and how deep they are. Are there ridges in them to prevent movement or did you stick some weather stripping or something on them to hold everything in place?

13 minutes ago, davebo357 said:

Just recently got a raw #340 so I'm loving those. I'm curious where you got the shelves?  I was thinking of making something custom, but when I saw several people using those super affordable black picture shelves from Ikea I thought maybe I'll just do that instead, but I'm wondering where you got those and how deep they are. Are there ridges in them to prevent movement or did you stick some weather stripping or something on them to hold everything in place?

Here is side pic of shelf you can see lip  of baseboard. Baseboard is 3 1/4 in length.

1F2192B2-D94C-4BF8-8137-522049CCCDB1.jpeg