• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a comic room??? Showcase it here!
48 48

10,296 posts in this topic

Just now, F For Fake said:

HAD one! ha I sold it to a friend a few years ago when I decided to get out of Joes. But recently I've been hankering to get it back, so I'm mentally drawing up plans for where I could fit it.

Nice! It all starts with idea seed getting planted

Just now, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Nice! It all starts with idea seed getting planted

Yeah. I go back and forth with Joes. Loved them as a kid, had a ton of them, sold them all when I grew up. Then in the late 90's I started rebuying what I had when I was a kid...and then sold them again. And rebought them again. And sold them again. Rinse and repeat. I love 'em, but there's so many of them that it's just not realistic to pursue the line the way I'd like. I had actually been free of the Joe addiction for a few years, then I went to a Joe convention with my buddy this summer, and the bug bit again. Since then I've only picked up a handful of carded figures, but I'm trying to save up a bit to return to the con this summer. 

2 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Yeah. I go back and forth with Joes. Loved them as a kid, had a ton of them, sold them all when I grew up. Then in the late 90's I started rebuying what I had when I was a kid...and then sold them again. And rebought them again. And sold them again. Rinse and repeat. I love 'em, but there's so many of them that it's just not realistic to pursue the line the way I'd like. I had actually been free of the Joe addiction for a few years, then I went to a Joe convention with my buddy this summer, and the bug bit again. Since then I've only picked up a handful of carded figures, but I'm trying to save up a bit to return to the con this summer. 

Those Joe conventions look awesome! I loved Joes as a kid, but unfortunately didn't keep them. Then I picked up a few here and there early 2000s. Now I have a few vintage and a lot of the 25th and 50th figures, a couple sideshow, and a few vehicles. You're right it can be cumbersome to deal with. I have shelves overflowing already. I would like to get some kind of display for all the individual figs that i can mount on the wall eventually. I'm excited to finally meet Larry Hama next month!

6 minutes ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Those Joe conventions look awesome! I loved Joes as a kid, but unfortunately didn't keep them. Then I picked up a few here and there early 2000s. Now I have a few vintage and a lot of the 25th and 50th figures, a couple sideshow, and a few vehicles. You're right it can be cumbersome to deal with. I have shelves overflowing already. I would like to get some kind of display for all the individual figs that i can mount on the wall eventually. I'm excited to finally meet Larry Hama next month!

Larry is a very cool guy, you'll have a blast! Be sure to post up some pics of your Joes!

15 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Larry is a very cool guy, you'll have a blast! Be sure to post up some pics of your Joes!

Will do. I might start a journal for my comic room/toy stuff. I have a lot on instagram if you're on there.

Edited by STORMSHADOW_80
IG

7 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Sounds like you married wrong,,,:baiting:. My spouse is cool. I got a nice room where I can do anything I want. She even lets me put some cool non-comic book stuff "tastefully" around the rest of the house. She knew I was a junk freak when she married me.

Nice !!  My wifey is awesome but also very keen on interior design........

Edited by exitmusicblue

My dad stayed up until 3am putting together the USS Flagg Christmas Eve, then mom woke up before I did in the morning to wait in the living room with a camera to get a photo of my face when I walked in the room and saw it.  It blew my mind.  Somehow despite being a nerdy enough kid that I saved all instructions and boxes for every lego set I had, I thought it was perfectly fine to cover the Flagg in Garbage Pail Kids stickers.  Later on sold it at a yard sale.

5 hours ago, davebo357 said:

My dad stayed up until 3am putting together the USS Flagg Christmas Eve, then mom woke up before I did in the morning to wait in the living room with a camera to get a photo of my face when I walked in the room and saw it.  It blew my mind.  Somehow despite being a nerdy enough kid that I saved all instructions and boxes for every lego set I had, I thought it was perfectly fine to cover the Flagg in Garbage Pail Kids stickers.  Later on sold it at a yard sale.

That's awesome, do you still have that picture? At least you had it when you were a kid and were able to play with it, garbage pail kid stickers and all! My folks were very generous (I was spoiled for sure) but even they drew the line at the 7' long aircraft carrier. I had to wait until I was older to buy one for myself. I was 19 and working at a local comic shop, and the shop bought one from a guy for $20 or something, and I bought it from the shop for $30. It wasn't complete, but for $30, it was plenty nice, still had the box, etc. I was still living with my folks at that point, so I dragged it home and put it together in the basement. So despite their best efforts, my folks still ended up with the damn thing in their house. I sold it a few years later to a friend who is a Joe completist (his collection is INSANE), and he cleaned it with a toothbrush, printed new stickers, and completed the thing. It's still at his house whenever I want to visit it.

And of course everything couldn't go smoothly. The electrical inspector has now decided there isn't enough room around the electrical panel. The same inspector who has been there twice and approved everything already. I don't know if this guy is looking for money, is completely incompetent or is just an angry person looking to mess with people. The conversation with his boss would have been comical if it wasn't happening to me. It was like talking with a 4 year old. I can see my tax dollars are really being used well. 

:pullhair:

29 minutes ago, wombat said:

And of course everything couldn't go smoothly. The electrical inspector has now decided there isn't enough room around the electrical panel. The same inspector who has been there twice and approved everything already. I don't know if this guy is looking for money, is completely incompetent or is just an angry person looking to mess with people. The conversation with his boss would have been comical if it wasn't happening to me. It was like talking with a 4 year old. I can see my tax dollars are really being used well. 

:pullhair:

Bastardss.:smirk:

I figured I would post this up in here as I think its a pretty neat idea. BCW is now making themed comic boxes. If I wasn't already hooked on Drawer Boxes, I would have definitely considered some of these. Would definitely help spice up how your comic storage room looks. A few examples:

5a91c381da599_WalkingDead3.thumb.jpg.2158ca88bf35be86d78f291dde8750c2.jpg

5a91c379ae86c_WalkingDead5.jpg.4c37c31aa62bc843592dc78250ab1ca5.jpg5a91c3766141b_WalkingDead4.thumb.jpg.974314607d196347565951e9b64ef8f9.jpg5a91c3888c4cc_WalkingDead.thumb.jpg.ad8439174e5c12d3980e5603e24225f7.jpg5a91c38b0d191_WalkingDead7.jpg.830fb1d10392d9cc69139d8c68cd6d65.jpg5a91c37bdcd7c_WalkingDead6.jpg.339594034546d1b62bd4d5978f8e4de5.jpg5a91c37ecc2e8_WalkingDead2.thumb.jpg.78fe8e3768a83d72fc116f9a355b8ff6.jpg

Recently built a bookshelf for my comic room sturdy enough to hold short boxes and enough vertical room for the larger artist editions. Used reclaimed wood (oak) that is super-dense so I'm not worried about sagging shelves, etc. Also, this is the first piece of furniture I've built not using any fasteners at all; crosslap joints only. 

IMG_1824.JPG

13 minutes ago, Hekla said:

Recently built a bookshelf for my comic room sturdy enough to hold short boxes and enough vertical room for the larger artist editions. Used reclaimed wood (oak) that is super-dense so I'm not worried about sagging shelves, etc. Also, this is the first piece of furniture I've built not using any fasteners at all; crosslap joints only. 

IMG_1824.JPG

That looks cool!  If I tried to do something like that, I would have a lot of broken things on the floor.

1 hour ago, Hekla said:

IMG_1824.JPG

This is a super cool and straightforward idea; do you use brackets to fasten the back to the wall?  These shelves are empty now, but if you had kids or cats that would jump/climb on the shelves would there be a risk of them sliding out?

24 minutes ago, spreads said:

This is a super cool and straightforward idea; do you use brackets to fasten the back to the wall?  These shelves are empty now, but if you had kids or cats that would jump/climb on the shelves would there be a risk of them sliding out?

I may have to resort to brackets. I made sure it was level when building it, but i didn't take into account the sponginess of the carpet and it was a little wobbly at first. At the moment, i only have the bottom shelf populated and it’s sturdy, but I will definitely have to secure it better as it fills up.