• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a comic room??? Showcase it here!
48 48

10,294 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, jdw1991 said:

Set up a comic wall this week.

That's pretty slick. Any details on what you used or side shots?  Are they just held in place by gravity or somehow bound to the wire frame behind them?

Edited by davebo357

10 hours ago, davebo357 said:

That's pretty slick. Any details on what you used or side shots?  Are they just held in place by gravity or somehow bound to the wire frame behind them?

Thanks,  I got the idea either off the boards or YouTube.  Purchased everything from Lowes.

6 ft X 12 in Rubbermaid Linen shelf (246454)

fixed mount clips (246379)

end caps (137500)

Slabs are sitting freely on the rack,  tilted about 1 inch out at the bottom.  The bottom of the rack can swing out from the wall if you want more of an angle.

On 3/23/2018 at 7:43 PM, jdw1991 said:

Set up a comic wall this week.

Thanks again for this idea.  I decided to do 12' straight across instead of rows, and got a couple more printed short boxes.  I did decide to tie some clear hanging wire across it just to keep things from falling off.

Got some old computers just used for video conversions.

2018-03-27-comic.room.jpg

Edited by davebo357

5 hours ago, davebo357 said:

Thanks again for this idea.  I decided to do 12' straight across instead of rows, and got a couple more printed short boxes.  I did decide to tie some clear hanging wire across it just to keep things from falling off.

Got some old computers just used for video conversions.

2018-03-27-comic.room.jpg

Looks good!

That looks pretty amazing to me - are you an engineer, the designs are so meticulous?  No suggestions for improvement it's pretty awesome.  My only question is, how are you going to sort them, alphabetically starting from top left? 

On 3/30/2018 at 3:23 PM, spreads said:

That looks pretty amazing to me - are you an engineer, the designs are so meticulous?  No suggestions for improvement it's pretty awesome.  My only question is, how are you going to sort them, alphabetically starting from top left? 

I'm a software guy ... those drawings and renderings are all from my designer friend, who is a pretty fascinating combination of left brain / right brain.  She's got all that interior design sensibility but she thinks like an engineer.

And yes, I was going to go left to right in alphabetical order ... CGC books first, then whatever raw books I want to keep around.  (thumbsu

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

1 hour ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I'm a software guy ... those drawings are renderings are all from my designer friend, who is a pretty fascinating combination of left brain / right brain.  She's got all that interior design sensibility but she thinks like an engineer.

And yes, I was going to go left to right in alphabetical order ... CGC books first, then whatever raw books I want to keep around.  (thumbsu

I don’t have a suggestion for improvement either, just a comment.  That floor is gorgeous.

18 minutes ago, zuckuss2003 said:

Yes, seriously, awesome office space. I do like the contrast but not sure about the black. Perhaps a slightly darker wood, Cherry perhaps.

Thank you!  I've confirmed with the designer that the cabinetmaker (this guy is good -- most of his work is custom kitchens, built-ins, etc.) will be mocking up a single drawer to start and he'll be giving me a bunch of finishes to choose from.  I agree that solid black might not be the best choice in the end.

2 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Thank you!  I've confirmed with the designer that the cabinetmaker (this guy is good -- most of his work is custom kitchens, built-ins, etc.) will be mocking up a single drawer to start and he'll be giving me a bunch of finishes to choose from.  I agree that solid black might not be the best choice in the end.

Is/was there a window in back of the tv in the original pic? Looked like I saw a bit of light maybe. If so I guess it's getting closed off now in the new design. It looks very nice, I like the two tone a lot better. Just make sure those closets are well insulated and have no drafts! (thumbsu

Great design, wish I had the $$$ and house to do something like this. Just love it. 

One recommendation, you better have some support in place when you open and pull out those drawers. If the drawers pulls out at least 3 feet, and full of slab books, the weight of the slabs plus the distance would create a lot of stress. One slab weighs close to 1lb, if you are able to put about 40-50 slab in there, you got close to 40lbs. The railing should be able to support that, even for distance of 3 ft. You also need a those railing to be bolted and secured properly. You don’t want them pivoting. 

GOod Luck

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 2:04 PM, lizards2 said:

Ok - finally decided to take some photos of the comic cavern proper, and where it has barfed to.  You can withhold your hoarder comments.  We had a furnace fire last year that caused us to move the entire house into this room while we cleaned up, got new carpeting, new furnace, etc., and basically got rid of 1/2 of our possessions.  This is the last room I'm working on, and still has a lot of odds and sods stashed here, from guns and ammo, to paint/tools, dog crates, etc.  It is a work in progress.  And, since I'm currently trying to inventory and put comics away, it is extra messy.

Here is my comic cavern proper that I got 21 years ago when we remodeled the garage and made it into a family room + laundry/bathroom + comic room.  I never intended it to be a comic 'living room', but a dark storage room. The ceilings in this whole 'addition' are 9 feet.  I did shelving to the ceiling on both right and left wall.  The right wall shelving is deep enough so that it has short boxes two deep or a longbox.  The left wall is only one shortbox deep.  I used to be able to walk all the way to the back, but as books were added, they filled up the center too.

image.png.02d46b221869549ceac509782ae0af44.png

With 21 years passage in time, I've added a lot of books to my collection.  I can still stuff everything I have into the center space and close the door, but then the whole thing is inaccessible.  My wife has graciously let it barf into the family room.  I use the pool table generally as a sorting area, as I don't really care to play pool...., however it is a great working surface.  The temporary table set up outside the comic cavern proper is just to set boxes on and sort the new stuff while I inventory, grade and put it away.

I will probably never have the dreamy comic room a lot of you have, as my main emphasis is storage and some accessibility, with little or no display.  But like I said - it's a work in progress.  People always ask me "how many comics do you have?"  I do not really have a clue.  The right wall of the comic cavern is 2 short boxes deep x 11 across x 7 shelves = 154 short boxes.  The left wall is 1 short box deep x 4 across x 7 shelves = 28, + another 8-12 on the left, and 9 at the back.  It just goes on from there.  My limited goals are to try to get rid of a bunch of the modern/copper stuff, and winnow it down to my true passion of SA/BA - for example, get rid of all my FFs above #150 or something like that.

Just this pic alone is staggering Mike.  Wow.  You are a Beaver fan I think    :grin:   :baiting:

3 hours ago, fatlab123 said:

I like it also...but did you consider the space above the books...maybe opening it up..shelve for Statues or anything else ..

I don't think it's possible to open up niches, but I have thought about putting a shelf there.  I don't have much in the way of statues etc. but you may have noticed that Conan the Barbarian sword lying beneath the TV in the first pic (which of course could be wall-mounted without a shelf).

3 hours ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

I think the size of that room needs a 1:1 scale statue

lol

1 hour ago, Jayman said:

Is/was there a window in back of the tv in the original pic? Looked like I saw a bit of light maybe. If so I guess it's getting closed off now in the new design. It looks very nice, I like the two tone a lot better. Just make sure those closets are well insulated and have no drafts! (thumbsu

Nope, I think you're seeing some light reflecting off the top of the TV.  The only windows in the room are on the wall to the right of the closets.  You can see them in the renderings.

Temperature-wise the room and closets are good -- the room is very well insulated and never gets too hot in the summer time.  No drafts that I know of!

1 hour ago, combiner1 said:

Great design, wish I had the $$$ and house to do something like this. Just love it. 

One recommendation, you better have some support in place when you open and pull out those drawers. If the drawers pulls out at least 3 feet, and full of slab books, the weight of the slabs plus the distance would create a lot of stress. One slab weighs close to 1lb, if you are able to put about 40-50 slab in there, you got close to 40lbs. The railing should be able to support that, even for distance of 3 ft. You also need a those railing to be bolted and secured properly. You don’t want them pivoting. 

GOod Luck

You're absolutely right about needing to design for the weight of the books ... although of course raw books are actually heavier (by total volume) than slabbed.

The guy doing the work is an expert cabinet-maker and I've been assured that he's putting in place all the right structure to bear the load.  If possible I will try to get the specs of exactly what he uses and share them for the curious.  I'll also try to post some photos of work in progress once we get underway.

My next challenge is to pick my favorite 44 comic book covers from the Marvel silver and bronze age.  Should be fun!