• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a comic room??? Showcase it here!
48 48

10,294 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, BuscemasAvengers said:

I've posted some pics from the Cave before, but I've added a few things, including a desk and, of course, more books; still need to properly hang the signed Romita lithograph, and buy more shelves for the 13 long boxes on the ground; my pre-war Lionels guard some boxes on the shelves; a labor of love - always a work in progress!

20180330_224036_resized.jpg

20180330_222825_resized.jpg

20180330_222852_resized.jpg

20180330_223909_resized.jpg

20180330_223944_resized.jpg

20180330_224029_resized.jpg

Canadian seduction room?  hm

Maybe I can find an answer here: 

There's any problem with storage comics in the REALLY USEFUL BOXES? instead cardboard boxes?

19 XL it seems the right size http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/usa/html/onlineshop/rub/b19_0litreXL.php

really useful boxes are strong and squared and doubt that I have problem with water but in an accident can prevent water damages.

anyone use plastics cases and no cardboard boxes?

also cardboard cases can get insects and possible damage, you know is just cardboard.

not my pic but helps:

2iq2j4.jpg&key=67f285b215c8586f7f4f2e5d7

6 hours ago, spooncomic said:

Maybe I can find an answer here: 

There's any problem with storage comics in the REALLY USEFUL BOXES? instead cardboard boxes?

19 XL it seems the right size http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/usa/html/onlineshop/rub/b19_0litreXL.php

really useful boxes are strong and squared and doubt that I have problem with water but in an accident can prevent water damages.

anyone use plastics cases and no cardboard boxes?

also cardboard cases can get insects and possible damage, you know is just cardboard.

not my pic but helps:

2iq2j4.jpg&key=67f285b215c8586f7f4f2e5d7

I use a few plastic cases and am 50/50 on how i feel about them. Pros: as you indicate - they are very sturdy and you can see the first book in the case (as you can see in the photo). Cons: they take up slightly more room than cardboard boxes and this adds up if you have a few rows. Also, when filling them, the bag-on-plastic creates an almost frictionless resistance and books are always sliding down unless you hold them or have extra support. I don’t know if im explaining it well, but you can’t leave a half box unattended without the books sliding. This is really annoying to me. Lastly, I dont know what effect the off-gasing from the plastic does to the books. I assume since the books are in archival grade bags that helps protect? I’ve had these for a couple of years and havent seen any effects yet. 

11 hours ago, combiner1 said:

I use this black box for my special raws 

https://www.bcwsupplies.com/short-comic-book-bin

positive: 150 raw comics; has partition; lockable and stackable 

negative : $$$; a pain to assemble 

I have 3 boxes, and so far so good:wishluck:

Those are interesting, I don't know how I feel about the esthetics of bulky plastic boxes instead of long boxes.  

On 4/1/2018 at 7:25 AM, Hekla said:

I use a few plastic cases and am 50/50 on how i feel about them. Pros: as you indicate - they are very sturdy and you can see the first book in the case (as you can see in the photo). Cons: they take up slightly more room than cardboard boxes and this adds up if you have a few rows. Also, when filling them, the bag-on-plastic creates an almost frictionless resistance and books are always sliding down unless you hold them or have extra support. I don’t know if im explaining it well, but you can’t leave a half box unattended without the books sliding. This is really annoying to me. Lastly, I dont know what effect the off-gasing from the plastic does to the books. I assume since the books are in archival grade bags that helps protect? I’ve had these for a couple of years and havent seen any effects yet. 

about your cons:

1. yes well takes a little more room but by example those brand "really useful box" as you see in the pics is not too much, actually I like the extra space on the sides! of that way the comic not touch the sides of the box.

2. I think that I understand you, I think that "sliding" is because the floor is plastic, I think if you add a cardboard pad on the bottom not happens again due the cardboard on the bottom avoid the sliding, like a cardboard box.

3. "off-gasing from the plastic does to the books. I assume since the books are in archival grade bags that helps protects?" THAT'S BY BIGGEST QUESTION! I don't have that brand yet... (really useful box) I use Sterline Gasket Case boxes but I don't like due I see some "foggy" thing on.. I clean the boxes a lot but if I pass a finger I see a little fog on. Archivist always use real acid free boxes to storage documents, like this: https://www.archivalmethods.com/category/boxes they never use plastic, so maybe is for one reason!

this looks interesting by the way, https://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/7981/archival-comic-storage-box-11-x-7-34-x-8font-colorredbr-holds-up-to-80-comicsfont-colorbrblue-gray-corrugated-cardboard

On 4/1/2018 at 8:42 AM, combiner1 said:

I use this black box for my special raws 

https://www.bcwsupplies.com/short-comic-book-bin

positive: 150 raw comics; has partition; lockable and stackable 

negative : $$$; a pain to assemble 

I have 3 boxes, and so far so good:wishluck:

no offenses but I just see a plastic box... they say Acid Free bla bla, yeah ! right , a lot companies claims things like that "Archival Quality" and is not true, I just see a plastic box and even worse due looks like plastic with color like the plastic used to make cheap trash bins. Maybe yes the sizes specially for comics and stackable is nice but the problem to me is the material, I don't see any archival quality there.

Edited by spooncomic

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That's Awesome @STORMSHADOW_80

I see you got the Marvel Select Deadpool too :) is that an A-Team van in the last pic?

Thank you! You are correct. Marvel select Deadpool. Some day I would like to get more statues, but for now I'm happy pairing things up with the figures.

Good eye. That is an A-Team van model I built and painted. Next to it a fast & furious civic from the first movie.

5 minutes ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Thank you! You are correct. Marvel select Deadpool. Some day I would like to get more statues, but for now I'm happy pairing things up with the figures.

Good eye. That is an A-Team van model I built and painted. Next to it a fast & furious civic from the first movie.

Those statues hanging up in the last pick are nice too! I like the first Hellboy, also all the Valiant: Eternal Warrior, Rai, and Bloodshot lol you were already prepared!

I also like the cover you picked by Andy Kubert for the first the first Damien Wayne :) of course both Andy K's covers were good

23 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Those statues hanging up in the last pick are nice too! I like the first Hellboy, also all the Valiant: Eternal Warrior, Rai, and Bloodshot lol you were already prepared!

I also like the cover you picked by Andy Kubert for the first the first Damien Wayne :) of course both Andy K's covers were good

Thanks again. The majority of the books I subbed myself. I've been a Bloodshot fan since the 90s. I got EW4 and Bloodshot 6 graded a couple years ago and bought the Rai 0. :wishluck: The movie does well.

I really like the red cover for Batman 655. I use to have the variant in 9.6. I was hoping to upgrade later to a 9.8 but it spiked up pretty high. 656 is cool too for the first full appearance.

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 1:26 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Hi everyone,

Hope you don't mind if I ask you for your opinions and advice on a project I'm planning ... basically, I'm completely redoing the comic book closets in my upstairs office / man cave.

First, I'll start with a couple of photos of the closets as they exist today.  (I've emptied them in preparation for the work.)  My office is in an attic space, which means the ceiling slopes down rapidly on either side with the roof line.  Hopefully you can see how that slope creates variable depth within the closets.

5abe6ef71befa_Before-SideView.thumb.jpg.be5e10dbff869e202188f3360fe54aea.jpg

5abe6f014eb6b_Before-FrontView.thumb.jpg.db11a5c49afbcaa4a06f39e3e7592262.jpg

These closets were designed almost 10 years ago, when my collection was 99 and 44/100 percent raw.  I was able to fit all of my silver age books in short boxes along the top row, and then I used long "drawer boxes" in the bottom three rows (eight per row -- each cubby in the middle three columns holds two).  My entire collection (something like 15,000 books) fit in these two closets.  Life was good.

Then I went and got my whole silver age collection graded, and CGC books / boxes simply do not fit in the closets.  I've had boxes stacked all over the place while I tried to figure out a solution.  In the end I decided to pull out all the raw books and create a system of drawers.  The basic design looks like this:

5abe70f61b9e3_ClosetDesign.thumb.png.5db4b9bbc0279abae1075caa60c493c2.png

With 18 drawers to either side of the TV, and another 8 below, these 44 drawers will give me plenty of space -- approximately 3,500 CGC books (if my collection ever gets that big -- right now I'm nowhere near that number).  I can always use any extra space for some of my more prized raw books.  The rest of the raw books are another matter entirely -- I will probably sell some (who's looking for a complete run of the Thing's solo book from the 80s?  Thunderstrike, anyone?) and stash the rest on the other side of the house.

I asked for a rendering of how it will look when completed, and here's what my designer sent me:

Front1.thumb.jpg.ff42657324a844c3f23eb190dd98ab2a.jpg

You'll see that she put comic book covers into each of the drawer fronts.  These would NOT be actual comic books -- I'm thinking of reproducing my favorite covers on cardstock and putting them into the drawer fronts to give the drawers some personality.  There is also room above the top row of drawers to decorate.

I was a bit concerned about the lack of contrast in this design, though.  So I asked for something that wasn't all the same color, and she came back with black drawer fronts:

5abe72abe393e_Front1BLACK.thumb.jpg.5ff36f54b7b73d811505c401a291fe9b.jpg

5abe72bb00a0f_side1BLACK.thumb.jpg.87fb5de8c3c08ec620e1cdacfa2b9f03.jpg

So, that's what we have so far.  I'm trying to get this project done in April, so that means finalizing the design in short order.  I'm curious to hear what people think, just in case there are some good ideas I'm not thinking of.  Any feedback is welcome!

Will you be able to switch out the images on the door fronts or will they be permanently set?

If they're changeable, you've basically got 44 picture frames there that you can swap the images out of. Whether it's other comic book covers, scans of your CGC slabs, artwork or something like the split image in Stormshadow's pictures above (single image across multiple frames), you could really get creative and move things around as the mood suits you.

6 hours ago, Antpark said:
On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:26 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

5abe6f014eb6b_Before-FrontView.thumb.jpg.db11a5c49afbcaa4a06f39e3e7592262.jpg

These closets were designed almost 10 years ago, when my collection was 99 and 44/100 percent raw.  I was able to fit all of my silver age books in short boxes along the top row, and then I used long "drawer boxes" in the bottom three rows (eight per row -- each cubby in the middle three columns holds two).  My entire collection (something like 15,000 books) fit in these two closets.  Life was good.

Then I went and got my whole silver age collection graded, and CGC books / boxes simply do not fit in the closets.  I've had boxes stacked all over the place while I tried to figure out a solution.  In the end I decided to pull out all the raw books and create a system of drawers.  The basic design looks like this:

5abe70f61b9e3_ClosetDesign.thumb.png.5db4b9bbc0279abae1075caa60c493c2.png

With 18 drawers to either side of the TV, and another 8 below, these 44 drawers will give me plenty of space -- approximately 3,500 CGC books (if my collection ever gets that big -- right now I'm nowhere near that number).  I can always use any extra space for some of my more prized raw books.  The rest of the raw books are another matter entirely -- I will probably sell some (who's looking for a complete run of the Thing's solo book from the 80s?  Thunderstrike, anyone?) and stash the rest on the other side of the house.

I asked for a rendering of how it will look when completed, and here's what my designer sent me:

Front1.thumb.jpg.ff42657324a844c3f23eb190dd98ab2a.jpg

You'll see that she put comic book covers into each of the drawer fronts.  These would NOT be actual comic books -- I'm thinking of reproducing my favorite covers on cardstock and putting them into the drawer fronts to give the drawers some personality.  There is also room above the top row of drawers to decorate.

I was a bit concerned about the lack of contrast in this design, though.  So I asked for something that wasn't all the same color, and she came back with black drawer fronts:

5abe72abe393e_Front1BLACK.thumb.jpg.5ff36f54b7b73d811505c401a291fe9b.jpg

5abe72bb00a0f_side1BLACK.thumb.jpg.87fb5de8c3c08ec620e1cdacfa2b9f03.jpg

So, that's what we have so far.  I'm trying to get this project done in April, so that means finalizing the design in short order.  I'm curious to hear what people think, just in case there are some good ideas I'm not thinking of.  Any feedback is welcome!

Will you be able to switch out the images on the door fronts or will they be permanently set?

If they're changeable, you've basically got 44 picture frames there that you can swap the images out of. Whether it's other comic book covers, scans of your CGC slabs, artwork or something like the split image in Stormshadow's pictures above (single image across multiple frames), you could really get creative and move things around as the mood suits you.

Nice set up.  I was going to say, consider the weight, being on the second floor, but it sounds like you have already used the space for TONS of comics with no troubles

On 30/03/2018 at 6:26 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

The basic design looks like this:

Have you any DVD / video equipment for the television as you would have to take that into account, nice room by the way I'm looking forward as I'm sure you are to the new room good luck.

15 hours ago, Antpark said:

I believe I will be able to switch them out, so you're right ... I'll be able to have some fun with this over time.  A single image across multiple frames could be amazing.

I think I'm going to post my preliminary list of 44 covers to get people's feedback at some point soon -- that ought to be interesting.  :smile:

9 hours ago, Senormac said:

Nice set up.  I was going to say, consider the weight, being on the second floor, but it sounds like you have already used the space for TONS of comics with no troubles

Absolutely -- but as you point out, these closets already had tons of comics in them.  I am positive that the raw books they held far outweigh a similar volume of slabbed books.

9 hours ago, tv horror said:

Have you any DVD / video equipment for the television as you would have to take that into account, nice room by the way I'm looking forward as I'm sure you are to the new room good luck.

Nope, the TV is connected to our satellite TV receiver, DVD player, etc. through coaxial and CAT-6 connections in the wall behind it.  So we're all set with no additional equipment in the room itself.

This setup was put in place about 9 years ago and we're really happy with it.  There was only one dumb thing I did ... I bought these two big servers for storing my DVD collection, right before everyone suddenly realized that streaming and on-demand technologies would make DVD collections obsolete.  I probably should have been thinking a little further ahead on that one.