• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a comic room??? Showcase it here!
49 49

10,288 posts in this topic

Same thing happened to me. I have a really good collection of VHS and Betamax. I got copy of cool sci-fi movies like : Flight of the Navigator, The Last Star Fighter, Superman 1-3 etc.... my Betamax cabinet became my vhs cabinet, then became my DVD cabinet, then became my blu-ray cabinet... now, it just stores my kids loose lego

OK everyone, I spent some time last night coming up with a list of comic book covers that I'd like to put in the drawer fronts in my soon-to-be-revamped closets.  (If you don't know what I'm referring to, just go back a page or two to see the renderings.)  There will be space for 44 cover images in all.

In coming up with my list of 44, I had a few ground rules:

• I stuck to the Marvel Silver Age, with three exceptions (Conan #1, Giant-Size X-Men #1, and Hulk #181) that should be obvious.  Before anyone asks about ASM #129, no offense guys but the Punisher never did anything for me.
  • I tried to find some reasonable balance in the number of covers from any one title.  (I could probably pick 44 covers just from Kirby's work on FF, JIM/Thor, and Avengers.)  Every major Marvel title got at least one cover, and the "best" titles (IMHO -- ASM, FF, and JIM/Thor) got a little more emphasis but not so much as to throw things completely off. 
  • While I included a bunch of key issues, I tried not to make the list a simple ranking of keys / comic values.  If a major key has an unspectacular cover (for example, Strange Tales #110), I left it out.  Side note, I honestly don't think there is such a thing as an "iconic" Doctor Strange cover, at least not in the Silver Age.  Am I missing something?
  • I included TTA #27 as my one winking nod to the pre-hero days that led up to the superhero explosion.
  • I tried to choose art that could be appreciated (and instantly recognized) from across the room, with larger figures and bold colors.  If a favorite cover was too "busy" or the characters too small (for example, FF #26), I stayed away.
  • Because I happen to have a signed poster of X-Men #58 on my wall already, I chose a different X-Men cover (#50) instead.  I love monochrome covers, which is why I picked that one and also one of the reasons I included Avengers #57, Thor #153, and TTA #98.

I'm going to display the covers in random order, but I'm presenting the list alphabetically to make it easier to analyze and critique.  Here's what I came up with in my first pass:

1. Amazing Fantasy #15
  2. Amazing Spider-Man #33
  3. Amazing Spider-Man #40
  4. Amazing Spider-Man #50
  5. Avengers #4
  6. Avengers #12
  7. Avengers #57
  8. Captain America #100
  9. Captain America #109
  10. Captain Marvel #1
  11. Conan #1
  12. Daredevil #1
  13. Daredevil #7
  14. Doctor Strange #173
  15. Fantastic Four #1
  16. Fantastic Four #5
  17. Fantastic Four #12
  18. Fantastic Four #48
  19. Fantastic Four #51
  20. Giant-Size X-Men #1
  21. Incredible Hulk #1
  22. Incredible Hulk #181
  23. Incredible Hulk Annual #1
  24. Iron Man #1
  25. Journey Into Mystery #83
  26. Journey Into Mystery #104
  27. Journey Into Mystery #120
  28. Nick Fury #7
  29. Silver Surfer #4
  30. Strange Tales #107
  31. Strange Tales #167
  32. Sub-Mariner #8
  33. Tales of Suspense #39
  34. Tales of Suspense #49
  35. Tales of Suspense #59
  36. Tales to Astonish #27
  37. Tales to Astonish #93
  38. Tales to Astonish #98
  39. Thor #126
  40. Thor #153
  41. Thor #165
  42. X-Men #1
  43. X-Men #4
  44. X-Men #50

Of course, there are some painful omissions from this list.  Off the top of my head, favorites of mine that just missed the cut include:

• Amazing Spider-Man #31
  • Avengers #16
  • Daredevil #16
  • Fantastic Four #4
  • Fantastic Four #52
  • Nick Fury #4
  • Silver Surfer #3

Could I be convinced to toss out a book like Captain Marvel #1 for one of these?  Yes, absolutely.  I'm struggling with that a bit.

Anyway, before I make this list final, I thought I would put it out there to see if anyone thinks I'm making any grievous omissions.  Feel free to make suggestions as to other books that should make the list.  But keep in mind that anything you add means something has to be subtracted … so by all means tell me which book(s) you would remove to accommodate your suggested inclusion(s).

Thanks for taking a look!

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

Anyone in here with an IKEA BILLY with OXBERG doors? Just wondering if it possible/easy to swap the glass out on the OXBERG with UV acrylic.....or if anyone else uses any other type of door on the BILLY where the swap would be possible

LMK!

On 07/04/2018 at 11:38 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I spent some time last night coming up with a list of comic book covers that I'd like to put in the drawer fronts in my soon-to-be-revamped closets. 

I have a question: Would it not be better to feature the covers of what's going to go into the drawer? I just think that it might be confusing wondering what run is behind drawer number three?:) 

I have well over 100 comics displayed  between my office  and home.  I am using  inexpensive  frames from IKEA that I found out about  on the boards 

One minor problem that I noticed was that between  batches that I bought  they changed the design by making the frame beveled  instead of flat,  and they also lowered  the placement of the hook on the back so it is very hard to swap out books between displays as  the frames are so different.

While poking around ebay  I found  these for a wall display.  Was wondering if anyone here is using these

48-New-BCW-Snap-It-Comic-Book-Wall-Display-Panel-Holder-Sleeve-System

18 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

True.  That cover never blew me away but I could consider using that one instead of the #173 (which I always liked).

Awesome room, and a great list of books!

I've always loved this one 

ds.JPG.f931315951da7052ea19aff63d502cc7.JPG

And probably my fav Thor
jim.JPG.03efdc870560ec27e26a10eb99b7841a.JPG

Looking forward to seeing the finished product :) 

18 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

True.  That cover never blew me away but I could consider using that one instead of the #173 (which I always liked).

That makes way too much sense!

But seriously, what's in each drawer may shift over time, and also picking just one cover to represent the contents of each drawer will force me to omit lots of great books.  So for example, that would likely make me choose FF #1 and I'd be forced to exclude FF #5 and FF #12.

35 minutes ago, 10cents said:

Awesome room, and a great list of books!

I've always loved this one 

ds.JPG.f931315951da7052ea19aff63d502cc7.JPG

And probably my fav Thor
jim.JPG.03efdc870560ec27e26a10eb99b7841a.JPG

Looking forward to seeing the finished product :) 

I had made a decision to ignore all the Doctor Strange books where they put him in a mask, but you are right that the cover to #177 (which gives you both versions) is a really awesome cover that deserves serious consideration.

Also JIM #89 is gorgeous and I probably should think hard about finding a way to include it.  I don't have a good explanation as to why it didn't make my original list.  (It's actually a better cover than #83.)

As an aside, I think looking at JIM #83, JIM #89, and Thor #126 side by side is a great visual on the progression as Kirby bulked up the character's physical frame over time.  Thor started off pretty skinny, and grew into an absolute truck by the time he was wrestling Hercules.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

2 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I had made a decision to ignore all the Doctor Strange books where they put him in a mask, but you are right that the cover to #177 (which gives you both versions) is a really awesome cover that deserves serious consideration.

Also JIM #89 is gorgeous and I probably should think hard about finding a way to include it.  I don't have a good explanation as to why it didn't make my original list.  (It's actually a better cover than #83.)

As an aside, I think looking at JIM #83, JIM #89, and Thor #126 side by side is a great visual on the progression as Kirby bulked up the character's physical frame over time.  Thor started off pretty skinny, and grew into an absolute truck by the time he was wrestling Hercules.

You're right, that would look sweet. Thor 127 is another awesome cover, but there are only so many slots, I would end up with all Kirby. lol 

Also, I'll probably be called a heretic, but I've always prefered FF49 over 48; but they are both so iconic you can't go wrong with either! 

Good luck :) 

14 minutes ago, 10cents said:

You're right, that would look sweet. Thor 127 is another awesome cover, but there are only so many slots, I would end up with all Kirby. lol 

Also, I'll probably be called a heretic, but I've always prefered FF49 over 48; but they are both so iconic you can't go wrong with either! 

Good luck :) 

I love Thor #127.  I can't seem to find the right clip, but if you look carefully at the art gallery scene in the film Unbreakable, you will see it hanging on the wall!

25 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Update on the closet project ... the carpenter brought a prototype drawer over to the house.  I also did a test print of a comic book cover to see how that will look.

Here's the front view:

5acfb35f87dbb_DrawerFrontView.thumb.jpg.572341516d7e5825e8537af68beb5470.jpg

And the side view, which shows an adjustable divider and a book I just picked up from @Jordysnordy:

5acfb3906a3ff_DrawerSideView.thumb.jpg.6b5eaadd3246f22848b0dead0459944d.jpg

A couple of notes:

• There's no drawer pull yet, but there will be (below the cover).
  • The paint color is close but not exactly what it will be.  Right now it's an olive-tinged gray but it will be more like a midnight blue-tinged gray.
  • The way the image is sitting in the well is a bit off (too low).  We will be adjusting this through some combination of the drawer construction and some extra height on the insert.

I just put down a deposit and I'm told everything will be ready to install in about four weeks.  I'll provide more updates as I can!

That's awesome, I wonder if you could have found a cheaper book (or blank slab)? to have sitting in the drawer for the carpenter to use.  haha.  It looks great!

1 hour ago, spreads said:

That's awesome, I wonder if you could have found a cheaper book (or blank slab)? to have sitting in the drawer for the carpenter to use.  haha.  It looks great!

Hahaha ... the carpenter never took possession of the book, it was only placed in the drawer long enough to prove that the dimensions were right and to take the photo.  :smile:

On 4/12/2018 at 12:35 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Update on the closet project ... the carpenter brought a prototype drawer over to the house.  I also did a test print of a comic book cover to see how that will look.

Here's the front view:

5acfb35f87dbb_DrawerFrontView.thumb.jpg.572341516d7e5825e8537af68beb5470.jpg

And the side view, which shows an adjustable divider and a book I just picked up from @Jordysnordy:

5acfb3906a3ff_DrawerSideView.thumb.jpg.6b5eaadd3246f22848b0dead0459944d.jpg

A couple of notes:

• There's no drawer pull yet, but there will be (below the cover).
  • The paint color is close but not exactly what it will be.  Right now it's an olive-tinged gray but it will be more like a midnight blue-tinged gray.
  • The way the image is sitting in the well is a bit off (too low).  We will be adjusting this through some combination of the drawer construction and some extra height on the insert.

I just put down a deposit and I'm told everything will be ready to install in about four weeks.  I'll provide more updates as I can!

VERY nice and classy. My wife would love those but she just says outta my junk room anyway. Problem is now your carpenter knows you collect comic book and nice ones as well. Have you thought of locks on those drawers or your room door? Me, I would have given him a modern Archie or Ritchie Rich to test. 

14 hours ago, Robot Man said:

VERY nice and classy. My wife would love those but she just says outta my junk room anyway. Problem is now your carpenter knows you collect comic book and nice ones as well. Have you thought of locks on those drawers or your room door? Me, I would have given him a modern Archie or Ritchie Rich to test. 

I don't think he would know the value of them and who's to say he would care?  Good carpenters in my area can make a mess ton of money flipping homes, going after comics wouldn't be worth his time.  While house-hunting two months ago I looked at a semi detached that was purchased last year for 189k, it was completely gutted and listed 6 months later for 350k - sold for 400k no conditions.  If you can do this, do you think trying to eek out money selling comics is an effective use of his time?