• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a comic room??? Showcase it here!
49 49

10,288 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, MustEatBrains said:

Total awesomeness!  Great work!  The length of the drawer reminds me of Bruce almighty for some reason.

image.gif.47018f4960d6e13616f77e36ccd62673.gif

lol  Not quite that long.  The top row holds about 35 books per drawer, and the bottom two rows hold 85-90 books per drawer depending on how many annuals / giant-size books are in there.

1 hour ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

lol  Not quite that long.  The top row holds about 35 books per drawer, and the bottom two rows hold 85-90 books per drawer depending on how many annuals / giant-size books are in there.

Lou, that is incredible. The finishing work is beautiful. I have to ask though, did you have a structural engineer look at the plans before installation? If those drawers are full of slabs at the capacity you gave, that's probably close to 3000 pounds in slabs alone. It looks like there are stairs just to the left, so I'm thinking this is on an upper level.

14 minutes ago, electricprune said:

Lou, that is incredible. The finishing work is beautiful. I have to ask though, did you have a structural engineer look at the plans before installation? If those drawers are full of slabs at the capacity you gave, that's probably close to 3000 pounds in slabs alone. It looks like there are stairs just to the left, so I'm thinking this is on an upper level.

Thank you!

Yep, this is on an upper level (essentially, I took half of my attic and finished it as an office / man cave).  But the drawer system is replacing a pair of closets that were packed to the gills with raw books for the last 10 years.  I guarantee the weight of the raw books that were in there far exceeds that of the slabs, which (if you think about it) weigh far less by volume.

23 hours ago, IntoAnother said:

Congrats @Sweet Lou 14 on such a stunning build! Even the strength of the drawers has me in awe!

This is what gets me as well. It's all lovely, but the fact that it can so smoothly accommodate the weight of that many slabs is truly impressive.

4 hours ago, wurstisart said:

Wow. That is awesome.

What kind of wood and paint was used ?

I read somewhere that certain wood or paint can harm the books.

Not an expert, I just remember that I read this.

I honestly don't know for sure -- maple I think?

I've never heard anything about wood or paint harming books, but I would be highly skeptical that a book that's inside a mylar, then a hard plastic case, and then a plastic sleeve, none of which is in direct contact with the drawer front you're describing, could be damaged somehow.

6 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I honestly don't know for sure -- maple I think?

I've never heard anything about wood or paint harming books, but I would be highly skeptical that a book that's inside a mylar, then a hard plastic case, and then a plastic sleeve, none of which is in direct contact with the drawer front you're describing, could be damaged somehow.

It looks like Maple to me.  A really awesome room.  

On 5/22/2018 at 6:32 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

OK ... finally I can share with you all the completed project, with the drawer inserts in place.  I tried taking a panorama, but being in a relatively small space makes it look a bit distorted.  Hopefully this gives you an idea of what the room looks like in full.

1126923548_After-Complete1.thumb.jpg.434d95489b29e94fbaef114e8b70ad8b.jpg

1175415599_After-Complete2.thumb.jpg.2a9a5f0184527eb04467be90285cd9b0.jpg196541222_After-Complete3.thumb.jpg.06a776ef96c97563bf3759965ddb8033.jpg

Dang, that's beautiful.  It's so nice if I broke in there I'd steal the cabinets and leave the comics behind....

9 hours ago, HighVoltage said:

Lou wins this thread... shut her down...

Amazingly nice set-up! :headbang:(worship)(thumbsu

Thanks but I really love seeing other people's comic rooms too!  I went for a clean look, but there's a part or me that really envies the wonderful clutter of a comics cave with tons of posters and art and slabbed comics on the walls and shelves or display cases full of comics-related collectibles of various kinds.  Some of the collections I've seen in this thread have been amazing.  (thumbsu

2 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Thanks but I really love seeing other people's comic rooms too!  I went for a clean look, but there's a part or me that really envies the wonderful clutter of a comics cave with tons of posters and art and slabbed comics on the walls and shelves or display cases full of comics-related collectibles of various kinds.  Some of the collections I've seen in this thread have been amazing.  (thumbsu

My comic cave tends to lean toward the rougher side... industrial shelves, old-school comic boxes, posters, toys, etc. Some on display, some not.

Mrs. Voltage would prefer it looks more like your set-up!

I love the variety and methods of storage that fellow collectors have. It gives me some great ideas to implement.

This has been one of my favorite threads on the boards over the years. You guys are all amazing.

@davebo357 looks as though your testing the weight those shelves hold fairly well. 

I'm happy that you've at least got it organized...

For now ha. :baiting:

Just playing :foryou:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

9 hours ago, davebo357 said:

Alright, despite Lou's victory I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring as a work in progress.  Picked up the shelving unit a few weeks back and threw my short boxes on it sideways just to fill them up, but the plan is for a friend of mine to move in with us later this year, and he's got a bigger collection than I do.  After measuring I figure the rack should hold 48 short boxes, and I started building a roll-out shelf for my long boxes on the floor.  Gonna shorten the overhang and drill larger handles in, but they roll out pretty easily with just my index fingers in the current holes so at least it's functional.  Old pc's on the desk for video conversion projects, some toys, old video game consoles and boxes.  There are Tick and Star Wars posters just out of view.

udW33h9.jpg

Two collectors living under the same roof should make for some real storage challenges!  What you have there looks awesome.  Get that Flight of the Conchords poster up on the wall!

3 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Two collectors living under the same roof should make for some real storage challenges!  What you have there looks awesome.  Get that Flight of the Conchords poster up on the wall!

Yeah it definitely will.  I'm hoping a lot of his current books can go in his bedroom and we can stick rarely-accessed boxes in this room.  I should make him take a photo of his current room, post it here, then later this year see what this room looks like with the two combined.

That frame the FotC poster is in is a cheap plastic one over 30 years old so it just falls apart if you hang it, and I've already got a concert poster of theirs with Albi the Racist Dragon in a nice frame in the hall, so I lack incentive to hang that folded one there right now.  I'm thinking this room needs my old Art Adams Wolverine poster, another Star Wars, another Tick, and maybe an X-Men.