• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a comic room??? Showcase it here!
48 48

10,295 posts in this topic

On 7/5/2018 at 2:27 PM, jdw1991 said:

Added ASM 50, AVG 12, and GSXM 1 to the comic wall over the holiday.

20180704_112331.jpg

Total aside but I'm still enjoying this idea I stole from you.  As coincidence would have it, when we first moved into this house my wife and I put up one of these racks (in the proper orientation) in the utility room.  I thought the bits it came with to affix it to the wall were a little lackluster, but they seemed to do the job... up until it completely yanked out and fell to the floor.  Because I bought the stuff you recommended and had a bunch of extra left over, about an hour ago I got it remounted and seems a lot more stable this time, so a second thanks to you!

3 minutes ago, davebo357 said:

Total aside but I'm still enjoying this idea I stole from you.  As coincidence would have it, when we first moved into this house my wife and I put up one of these racks (in the proper orientation) in the utility room.  I thought the bits it came with to affix it to the wall were a little lackluster, but they seemed to do the job... up until it completely yanked out and fell to the floor.  Because I bought the stuff you recommended and had a bunch of extra left over, about an hour ago I got it remounted and seems a lot more stable this time, so a second thanks to you!

Geez, I hope the books you had mounted on there were okay from the fall.

On 6/25/2018 at 9:57 PM, Cocomonkey said:

I always imagine that in a situation like this, everything just shifts to slow motion with a shout of "Nooooooo!" as they all slowly tumble...

Hope none got damages!

I can see a smirk on Greedo's face he's trying too hard to look innocent no wonder Han shot first.:)

On 7/10/2018 at 6:31 PM, ExNihilo said:

Geez, I hope the books you had mounted on there were okay from the fall.

The one in the utility room fell, so all we lost was a bottle of clothes detergent and time cleaning up the mess.  (apologies for the repost but) the comic rack is still fully secure on the right wall:

udW33h9h.jpg

11 minutes ago, davebo357 said:

The one in the utility room fell, so all we lost was a bottle of clothes detergent and time cleaning up the mess.  (apologies for the repost but) the comic rack is still fully secure on the right wall:

udW33h9h.jpg

Well, that's a relief.  (thumbsu

On 7/10/2018 at 6:27 PM, davebo357 said:

What page are the instructions on for this? Or mind sharing again via here or PM? Thanks!

Awesome selection too btw! Nice!

14 minutes ago, classicaaron said:

while not my comic book room as all my comics are just boxed and in a closet but I figured id show my toy collection on here.  hey it at least has a lot of comic oriented stuff in it.  anyone here you go.  I have four aisles built.  so this is about half of my stuff, ran out of room long ago.  not sure what ill do with my comics either as those are starting to pile up as well.

toy6.thumb.jpg.18b78c85d17c6733961e005f084b14aa.jpg

toy4.thumb.jpg.8905e573dfd5c461688a25c9b82de41d.jpg

toy3.thumb.jpg.fa32db14a31099e8ad21db2909f39e38.jpg

toy7.thumb.jpg.b10acb6b65b7f24e120a8a5516e735d5.jpg

toy5.thumb.jpg.385e214d1a46eb1acce054d84118bdb3.jpg

toy2.thumb.jpg.ba9f6885f442e7d7f802b21b85491a7d.jpg

toy4.jpg

toy7.jpg

Wow!  So meticulous - looks more organized than most shops.  If you ever decide to sell or downsize you couldn't have it setup any better!

3 hours ago, spreads said:

Wow!  So meticulous - looks more organized than most shops.  If you ever decide to sell or downsize you couldn't have it setup any better!

well I finished half my basement for just this purpose so it was all carefully planned out and built accordingly.  and my OCD also helps with the organizing

3 hours ago, batmiesta said:

DSC00810_zpsuq4zkoos.jpg

Is it okay to have comics exposed to ambient sunlight like this?  Are the CGC cases UV coated?

4 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

What page are the instructions on for this? Or mind sharing again via here or PM? Thanks!

Awesome selection too btw! Nice!

I don't recall if he originally posted any formal instructions.  Basically you head to your local Lowes or wherever and pick up 6' long Rubbermaid shelves like this:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rubbermaid-Linen-6-ft-L-x-12-in-D-White-Wire-Shelf/3098543

Then instead of mounting it normally, you flip it backwards against the wall so that the 1' part is facing upwards and the 1" ledge is sticking out to hold your comics.  Get some of these to go along the bottom of it:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rubbermaid-Fixed-Mount-Back-Clip/3277081

Then some of (and I can't seem to find a link right now) the "C" clamps that will be in the same section.  Sometimes they come with drywall anchors and screws but I just used straight drywall screws since they go along the top and aren't bearing much weight, just holding it to the wall.  Then because I'm just super paranoid about things falling from an earthquake or whatever, I ran some hanging wire across the whole thing so they can't ever fall forward, which I'll probably replace with fishing wire sometime.  The whole white grid doesn't look great, but the more packed with comics it is, the less of it you actually see.  You can tell in my photo what I did was just take two 6' sections and mount them next to each other, which is kind of a pain to line up perfectly. 

And just because you're interested in wall mounts I'll throw out the other really popular option here is Ikea's Mosslanda black or white wall mounts that have a built-in ledge:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70292104/

6 hours ago, classicaaron said:

while not my comic book room as all my comics are just boxed and in a closet but I figured id show my toy collection on here.  hey it at least has a lot of comic oriented stuff in it.  anyone here you go.  I have four aisles built.  so this is about half of my stuff, ran out of room long ago.  not sure what ill do with my comics either as those are starting to pile up as well.

toy4.jpg

toy7.jpg

good god man, is that a room or a store?  Wow.

6 hours ago, batmiesta said:

I have just revamped my room, nowhere near the size of some rooms on here, but it is my sanctuary. I was going to put three rows of display books up, but she who must be obeyed forbid it. :x

Before.

SAM_0635_zps81623c9b.jpg

After.

DSC00808_zpsplc3xwuz.jpg

DSC00809_zps6nslz9ug.jpg

DSC00810_zpsuq4zkoos.jpg

DSC00811_zpsvgiygayp.jpg

DSC00812_zps5kmibgpy.jpg

DSC00813_zpsrwn1zjat.jpg

I really like that desk, chair & Spidey poster!

9 hours ago, classicaaron said:

toy4.jpg

toy7.jpg

Damn it looks like a store.

11 hours ago, davebo357 said:

Is it okay to have comics exposed to ambient sunlight like this?  Are the CGC cases UV coated?

I don't recall if he originally posted any formal instructions.  Basically you head to your local Lowes or wherever and pick up 6' long Rubbermaid shelves like this:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rubbermaid-Linen-6-ft-L-x-12-in-D-White-Wire-Shelf/3098543

Then instead of mounting it normally, you flip it backwards against the wall so that the 1' part is facing upwards and the 1" ledge is sticking out to hold your comics.  Get some of these to go along the bottom of it:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rubbermaid-Fixed-Mount-Back-Clip/3277081

Then some of (and I can't seem to find a link right now) the "C" clamps that will be in the same section.  Sometimes they come with drywall anchors and screws but I just used straight drywall screws since they go along the top and aren't bearing much weight, just holding it to the wall.  Then because I'm just super paranoid about things falling from an earthquake or whatever, I ran some hanging wire across the whole thing so they can't ever fall forward, which I'll probably replace with fishing wire sometime.  The whole white grid doesn't look great, but the more packed with comics it is, the less of it you actually see.  You can tell in my photo what I did was just take two 6' sections and mount them next to each other, which is kind of a pain to line up perfectly. 

And just because you're interested in wall mounts I'll throw out the other really popular option here is Ikea's Mosslanda black or white wall mounts that have a built-in ledge:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70292104/

The shelf in the Ikea link is what I used but they were from B&Q, very easy to put up, photo shelves they are called.

As for sunlight on the books, the Sun is at the back of the house all day and I swap the display around, so they should be OK.